scoop of sand

unkel j

I live in Arizona. In two weeks I am going to California and will be visiting a tide pool with my family. I am wondering if it is legal/advised to take a few scoops of sand with a few gallons of sea water from the tide pool and bring it home?
I would put it in my small frag tank for a while before considering adding it to my DT.
I thought it would be neat to boost my micro fauna since I think the diversity has dwindled over the years.
It would have to live in a bucket at room temp with nothing more than an air stone for three days.

Any thoughts?

I'd drop in on one of the CA area club forums and ask. There are likely to be local regulations you'll need to know about. Also, remember that CA is cold water. The organisms in that scoop of sand might not adapt to tropical temperatures.

Even a southern CA tide pool is cold? I thought it would be warm in the summer.
If it is cold then I will pass because I don't want to add to add anything (even bacteria) that will die.

Southern CA is warmer water than north but it's still not tropical. Current San Diego water temp is about 64 degrees.

It will be warmer in a tide pool during low tide but as soon as the tide comes in it's back to whatever the ocean water temp is.

When I lived in SD and had a native tank, it was chilled to the low 60's.

I don't believe it's legal to take anything from a California state beach. Not to mention all the species are cold water.

Enjoy your trip though, be sure to visit Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco.

PS the Steinhart has cocktails and full bar. Just saying. :beer:

Monterey bay aquarium has an open ocean tank (HUGE) with sharks, ocean sunfish, swordfish, huge sea bass, and even a couple large schools of sardine-like fish.
They also have a jellyfish room, a huge tidal pool you can go scuba diving in (all kinds of neat things in there!), some epic touch tanks- loads of awesomeness. And that was six years ago when I went, so they should have more stuff. AND they were voted the world's best aquarium this year, I believe. Do not pass them up!

Back