Seeking critiques and (Canon) advice :)

somewherre

I made a small web page with some before and after images of pictures I've taken using my sister's Nikon D80 with the 105mm micro lens. I'd love some evaluation of both the raw and processed pictures. You can find them here:

http://www.bluesplace.net/photos/comps.html

Up until last night, I was pretty much decided on a D300 as my camera - going so far as to buy the micro lens before buying the camera itself. But then I came across the pictures in this thread...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1343429&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

...and holy cow! So I'm asking for some advice from the Canon advocates - how much is due to the camera and lens and how much is due to the person? I look at those pictures, and then I look at mine, and part of me thinks I should give up before I even start! :lol:

I'm not too worried about the $$ spent on the lens - I can sell it to my sister and recoup most of the cost. And the cost, for example, of the camera, lens, and light that Titusville uses (taken from a posting of his in here somewhere) is still less than the cost of the D300 body. So I'm kinda back to square-1 in the "which camera to buy" debate.

I haven't looked into Canons too much. Is there an equivalent to the D300? The photos in the link above were taken with the Rebel XTI - what's the general consensus on that model vs others?

My primary focus is for macro shots, both of the tank and other things. I'd also like to take "normal" pictures, but definitely macro is probably how I'll shoot 80% of the time.

Here's my standard answer. I'm a Canon shooter because I believe that they make a better camera but you really can't go wrong with either.

--
If you decide to go the DSLR route you need to consider more variables than you do with a point and shoot (P&S) camera.

The order of importance, in regard to picture quality, with a DSLR is:

Photographer skill, lens quality, camera body.

Every DSLR body on the market today will take excellent pictures. Your lens choices are far more important than which body you buy.

You also have to be comfortable with how the camera feels. If you're not comfortable with your camera you won't be out shooting with it. Go to a local camera store (avoid places like Ritz, Best Buy, etc.... if at all possible), play with several different camera bodies and see what feels the best in your hand. Buy the one that feels best.

/ personal rant /
If you go to a local store with subject expertise (again, not a Ritz, Best Buy, Wolf Camera, etc) and take advantage of the knowledgeable folks buy your camera there. You might pay a little bit more but they deserve to be compensated for their assistance. In the long run building a relationship with a local store can be very helpful as a good camera is a long term investment. I have no problem buying online to save money; I just don't do it if I've involved the local store in the sales process.
/ end rant /

Buying a DSLR is more than buying a camera, it's buying into a system. That being said Canon and Nikon currently have most of the market. Choosing one of those gives you more choices for expansion down the road. The new Sony looks good as well and it's compatible with Konica/Minolta lenses.

If saving money, by buying used gear, allows you to spend more money on lenses you should go that route. A good lens on a used body will take better pictures than a cheap lens on a brand new body.

Cheers

If you already know what you want and don't need to ask questions, they're fine. At a real camera store you're talking to a photographer. At Best Buy, you're talking to a minimum wage store clerk who may, or may not, even take pictures.

Also, stores like that only sell the low end consumer lenses.

I have a couple of really good local camera stores that I use when I need something right away. Other than that I order everything from B&H online.

Cheers

I have a couple of really good local camera stores that I use when I need something right away. Other than that I order everything from B&H online.

x2 and great advice! I wish I could buy lenses from my local camera shop, but most are more than twice what I'd pay at B&H. But, I do use the local guys for repairs, sensor cleanings, and smaller ticket items.

phatstanley02: I am a newbie, and I decided on the canon 40d and some really good lenses. I also shopped online for a few days but decided to go with TitusvileSurfer and Beerguy's suggestion and purchase from B&H. They were great, I got everything just like I ordered. Will use them again. In the past with other types of products, I have "pinched pennies" and bought stuff online from the cheapest vendor and almost everytime I have been disappointed to down right mad. On this size purchase don't skimp, buy from B&H or someone that has a good reputation.

Bart

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12893367#post12893367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by somewherre
And the cost, for example, of the camera, lens, and light that Titusville uses (taken from a posting of his in here somewhere) is still less than the cost of the D300 body. So I'm kinda back to square-1 in the "which camera to buy" debate.
Camera: 40D Body only $1,139.95
Lens: 24-70 f/2.8L $1,190.00 (I have other lenses, some more expensive but I think this is the one your referring to)
Light: 580 EXII $420.00
Total: $2749.95

D300 Body only $1,649.95

*prices from B&H Photo Video without rebates

The D300 is about $500 more than my 40D, yes but my 40D and the flash with no lens at all is more than the D300 body.

The D300 is a very, very capable camera and I think you would love it. The 40D is a very, very capable camera and I think you would love it. Your about to join a gang. You can be the Bloods (Nikon) or the Crips (Canon). Choose wisely as you will stick with one or the other for life and beat up members of the other gang when you see them flashing their colors on your block.

I chose Canon because I believe they have a superior lens lineup and that is one of my biggest concerns. I researched Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus for months before I broke down and paid money. I joined a dedicated forum of each brand. In the end I decided in my own mind Canon was the best and here I am today. Nikon is still a great company and I wish them luck. The Competition keeps my beloved Canon on their toes and high-end equipment costs down!
icon14.gif

Your choosing between Coke and Pepsi. They are both soda...they are both mega companies...they both make a quality product...but I bet as soon as you read the words "Coke" and "Pepsi" you immediately took sides with one or the other. Having tried them both you know there is a very real difference and if poured side by side in unmarked glasses, you could tell them apart. I bet you even go out of your way at the super market to buy one over the other. Canon and Nikon are no different. These are two mega companies that put fourth quality products. To the untrained eye they are both soda. For an experienced photographer however, there is a very real difference in how they taste and we know which one we like.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12894550#post12894550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
If you already know what you want and don't need to ask questions, they're fine. At a real camera store you're talking to a photographer. At Best Buy, you're talking to a minimum wage store clerk who may, or may not, even take pictures.

Also, stores like that only sell the low end consumer lenses.

Cheers

The reason i asked is because i knew this would be your response and its not true (at all best buys anyways im sure at some it is) I work at best buy and we have 1 professional and 4 aspiring photographers. we also do weekly dslr training classes for customers who want to learn to get out of auto mode. some stores also carry 5d's or better and L series lenses, but all stores have access to most of what canon and nikon both offer. Not that best buy can beat B&H (some stuff at b&h is even cheaper than my discount) but it can be a good place to go talk to someone and get info especially if you dont have a good shop around (which there are NONE where i live). OK rant over :)

Phatstanley - wait for EOL..... haha that's how I got mine... I work at Best Buy too. It's my second job.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12902450#post12902450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phatstanley02
The reason i asked is because i knew this would be your response and its not true (at all best buys anyways im sure at some it is) I work at best buy and we have 1 professional and 4 aspiring photographers. we also do weekly dslr training classes for customers who want to learn to get out of auto mode. some stores also carry 5d's or better and L series lenses, but all stores have access to most of what canon and nikon both offer. Not that best buy can beat B&H (some stuff at b&h is even cheaper than my discount) but it can be a good place to go talk to someone and get info especially if you dont have a good shop around (which there are NONE where i live). OK rant over :)

I've been to several BB stores talked and listen to what they say. While they may have a 5D I never seen any of the better lens. Like my favorite the 24-70. And they have never been able to answer any questions on them but are quick to say we can special order it for you. They usually knows the basics and can help out a new person.

When you buy either the Nikon or Canon your really not buying a camera body(even though most people make the decision that way) your buying into a lens system and family. Take care of them and you'll have your lenses forever and change the body several times.

Canon historically is know for having better lenses.

Check-out P.O.T.N. for a great site about all thing Canon.

To address the most important thing. photog skill, get this book Understanding Exposure If you only buy one book This is a must have book. And then take plenty of pictures of everything, the more you shoot the better you get.

I originally went with Canon because they had a mirror lockup feature on the Elan2 that the comparable Nikon did not have. I have read that Canon has a better lens line up. I have no regrets and have been with Canon for a long time. It may be closer, or equal now, but they were paving the digital way for a while there.

ALso important (didn't read the entire thread) if not mentioned is to get the camera in your hands. Controls are in differnt places and you may find the Ergonomics better on one verse the other for yourself. Sort of like Ford vs Chevy if you ask me. I happen to be Chevy guy.

BTW, the dude from "luminous landscape" (name escapes me now) was shooting Canon for a long time (after ditching his old Nikon system). Last I read he just went back to Nikon. You may want to read a little over there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898694#post12898694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TitusvileSurfer
Your about to join a gang. You can be the Bloods (Nikon) or the Crips (Canon). Choose wisely as you will stick with one or the other for life and beat up members of the other gang when you see them flashing their colors on your block.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: SO TRUE!!!!!!!!

:D I've always liked the color red:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912869#post12912869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jthao
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: SO TRUE!!!!!!!!

:D I've always liked the color red:D

Of course you mean the famous red stripe on the far superior Canon L series lenses. :p

Yeah the L stripe doh. I guess I should have made the Canons bloods...that would have made more sense. As I was typing the sentence I decided rolling with Snoop Dogg sounded fun so I went with Crips. Either way the illustration stands.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12913215#post12913215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
Of course you mean the famous red stripe on the far superior Canon L series lenses. :p

You mean, all lenses don't have that? Who knew. :D

Wow, thanks for all the input! :thumbsup:

I just received my copy of "Understanding Exposure" along with a few other books, so I have some reading to do on that as well as start hitting up the Canon forums as I did the Nikon ones for the D300.

When it is time to buy, I plan on heading down to B&H so I can have it in my hands immediately...I think it's only a 2.5 hour trip for me. Will likely walk out with far more than I intended, but I can't resist not going there in person.

Is the EOS 1000D the top secret new camera that's been rumored to be coming out? Or is something better supposedly in the works still?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12920997#post12920997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by somewherre
Is the EOS 1000D the top secret new camera that's been rumored to be coming out? Or is something better supposedly in the works still?

Depends on what you were look for, me I'm waiting to see what the 5D replacement is!

Here's a quote for the 1000D: "...the EOS 1000D represents a more affordable entry point ..."

Back