Setting up a quarantine tank, a couple questions

benr783

So, I'm about to head over to PetSmart and buying this. The tank is 10 gallons.

I recently had an ich outbreak in my main 60 gallon, and every fish was killed. I am going to start that tank again in 2 months. I also am starting a quarantine tank. My plan for fish is:
- Clownfish
- Coral Beauty
- Royal Gramma
- Blue Tang
- Yellow Tang

My plan is to keep each fish in the quarantine tank for 8 weeks before I move them to the display tank.

Will all of these fish, all at individual times, be able to survive in a 10 gallon tank, temporarily of course?

My plan for the QT tank is to have live black sand at the bottom, have one decoration with an air stone, and have a solid dark blue background. Is this safe? Both tanks are fish only.

This is my first QT setup ever. Please tell me if there is anything wrong with my plan.

No sand. It just creates problems. Use pvc pipe for hiding places. And why not go with a 20 long for only 10 more dollars. It will give the tangs plenty more space to swim and feel less cramped. Plus 2 tangs in a 60 is pushing it even for a little while. Also make your yellow tang your very last fish. What treatments are you going to use on them?

Can I use regular gravel, at least? So there's a little bit of color? Also, why can't I use a decoration for hiding?

I'm also not sure about that. I don't plan on putting in fish for a while, so I'll cross that bridge when I have to in terms of financial situation. What treatments _should_ I use when it's time, however?

Also, with regards to the tank size, I plan on getting my tangs small, so would a 10 gallon do? The tangs would not be in there at the same time.

Gravel and sand can absorb treatments. cupramine and prazipro are the 2 essentials in my opinion. Look up how to treat those in the stickies here. Cupramine is the best copper. And even a small tang can be stressed In a tank that small. Can it be done, yes it absolutely could. But Ina 20 your nutrient control will be easier, your fish will be happier, and your outcome has such a better possibility. Take my honest advice here and don't take any shortcuts. I've taken them and it just ends poorly. I tried to put chaeto in my system without quarantining it and gave my whole system ich which I'm now working on eradicating with hypo salinity in my display. Also you need to leave your 60 gallon empty of no fish and running normally for 8-10 weeks to kill all ich still in the system.

Do I constantly treat my QT and display tanks all the time?

Which 20 gallon tank at pet smart should I get? There are so many. What filter and heater do I get?

Also, in regards to my 60 gallon, I'm still willing to wait that long, but shouldn't I drain the tank and fill it up again? Also, do I need new sand?s

My fish tank is in my room, so I still want to set everything up as soon as I can, just so it looks good—even if I can't put a fish in.

Thanks for all your help!!

Last edited:
for a qt tank, get a 20 long tank, eheim or marineland heater, HOB filter or sponge filter, small powerhead, and some pvc so the fish can hide. don't really need a light. it is only a qt tank. simple.
need to keep your display tank fishless for 8 weeks. don't need to drain or change sand. ich will die off in within that timeframe if there are no fish.

just a friendly heads up. 60 gallons is nowhere near enough for a blue or yellow tang let alone both. not for the longterm anyway.

just a friendly heads up. 60 gallons is nowhere near enough for a blue or yellow tang let alone both. not for the longterm anyway.

+1 for these fish it's the equivalent of solitary confinement in a broom closet.
They need a much bigger tank.

Back