Shark for aquarium

Shark for aquarium

• Marbled Catshark (atelomycterus macleayi)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Epaulette Shark (Hemiscyllium ocellatum)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
Not everyone stalks people and keeps tabs on the information they post. The guy brought up a topic and it was answered. I don't see what's so funny that you are a jerk or give bad information. You kept throwing around 24 inches. Your 24 inch comments are wrong. As stated earlier marbled catsharks stay under 24 inches. Now I understand why shark people stick to Monsterfishkeepers.

Stay on MFK then... Can you tell me where you have the info on marbled cat sharks stay under 24"?? With your logic on things then LiveAquaria is the be all end all to everything. They say marbled cats (chiloscyllium plagiosum) get much larger than 2ft. Along with most all books on elasmobranch.. Stalking... Its called being active. Matt (zoodiver he knows more than you or I do combined on his worst day) is on MFK too did he agree with your remarks on this matter? Let's just forget about the 24" full grown thing, just in regards to sharks in a 80g?? Actually just chew on that for awhile... I've hit the ignore button on you since clearly you can't be reasoned with

There are a lot less people on MFK to tell you your wrong so that's probably the best place for you.

With your logic on things then LiveAquaria is the be all end all to everything. They say marbled cats (chiloscyllium plagiosum) get much larger than 2ft.*

It sounds like you use liveaquaria as your end all. I never mentioned them. You are the one quoting it's size to defend you lack of knowledge. L.A. is wrong. Their marbled catshark is not a marbled catshark it is mislabeled. It is actually a Bamboo. Look at the OPs scientific names and then look at the scientific name from live Aquaria.

Matt will agree with me I know him very well. We worked together at the Dallas Aquarium. I just texted him with a link to this thread to comment.

You can tell me I am wrong all you want but you give out bad advice. I just went through your posts and you giving bad advice is a trend.

Last edited:
It sounds like you use liveaquaria as your end all. I never mentioned them. You are the one quoting it's size to defend you lack of knowledge. L.A. is wrong. Their marbled catshark is not a marbled catshark it is mislabeled. It is actually a Bamboo. Look at the OPs scientific names and then look at the scientific name from live Aquaria.

Matt will agree with me I know him very well. We worked together at the Dallas Aquarium. I just texted him with a link to this thread to comment.

You can tell me I am wrong all you want but you give out bad advice. I just went through your posts and you giving bad advice is a trend.

Your right on the LA thing. Not the same shark. LA isn't the end all but people who are new to the hobby sure think so. If Matt agrees that a shark should be kept in a 80g then that surprises me to say the least... Telling someone to not put a shark in a 80g aquarium isn't bad advise... Telling them differently is. We will agree to disagree. Quote some more of my posts while your at it speaking of stalkers...

I am right about more then the L.A. thing. Here is what I said in my first post. I gave him good correct advice. If he got a pup I would recommend something smaller then an 80 gallon. Something between 10 and 40 gallons depending on size connected to the 80.

Last edited:
I am right about more then the L.A. thing. Here is what I said in my first post. I gave him good correct advice. If he got a pup I would recommend something smaller then an 80 gallon. Something between 10 and 40 gallons depending on size connected to the 80.

If I gave nothing but bad advise I would of been banned from here along time ago. The Mods also wouldn't of given me Reefer Of The Month... I'm by no means a shark expert and never claimed to be. I'm still learning about sharks virtually everyday. Again I agree that smaller tanks for virtually all small sharks and fish are better than large tanks. I believe that you are misleading the OP on long term requirements that's all. Carry on

If I gave nothing but bad advise I would of been banned from here along time ago. The Mods also wouldn't of given me Reefer Of The Month... I'm by no means a shark expert and never claimed to be. I'm still learning about sharks virtually everyday. Again I agree that smaller tanks for virtually all small sharks and fish are better than large tanks. I believe that you are misleading the OP on long term requirements that's all. Carry on

Wow Reefer of the Month do you have pictures of your tank?

If you reread my first post I clearly said that he will have to upgrade.

Hey guys, I understand my current tank is not big enough for the whole life span of any shark. I have a found an aquarium, thats 5.9 feet long, 2.29 feet tall and 1.64 deep, would that be fine for the whole life of the shark. And dw i don't think i'm getting the shark till a long time possibly months. Dmorty is right I don't have a chiller. I live in Dubai, and the aquarium industry is not remotely close to as developed as it is in America, so if lfs's can't even get normal temp. sharks than i doubt they've ever received cold water sharks, thanks though for the comments

I know nothing about sharks, other than I am afraid of them.
But I do know that Dmorty217 knows his stuff, really cares about this hobby, treats everyone with respect and is a huge asset to this forum.

I know nothing about sharks, other than I am afraid of them.
But I do know that Dmorty217 knows his stuff, really cares about this hobby, treats everyone with respect and is a huge asset to this forum.

I would disagree with the respect portion. It may be the the medium, but Dmorty frequently comes across as an arrogant know-it-all.

I would disagree with the respect portion. It may be the the medium, but Dmorty frequently comes across as an arrogant know-it-all.

I agree some of what I say may be interpreted as arrogant, which I assure you I am not. I also can assure you Im quite far from a know it all. I want to learn and also share my experiences on here to further the wealth of marine knowledge that is ReefCentral. Sorry that a come across as so arrogant:(

Back