shipping during freezing temps

I just got a Divers Den delivery yesterday. 0 degree temps outside and 75 in the box. There was a fistful of heat packs and everything was in 5 layers of plastic bags. I was about to break out a chainsaw to get through!

I just had a shipment held in indiana overnight. The boxes sat on the tarmac. Fish showed up a day late and 50 degrees. They were all lethargic and one was doa.

I knew they weren't going to come in at temp so I put a bunch of saltwater in the fridge the night before.

I matched my qt to their bag water, switched them over without acclimation, then slowly brought the fish back up to temp. One fish who was doa is now swimming in the tank. Zero fish losses, did lose a coral and some inverts.

Without that 50 degree saltwater in their QT I doubt they would have survived in their bags as the temp increased too much ammonia, too little oxygen. IME it can be better than mid summer shipping. I didn't expect my fedex order from cali to go to indiana in route to colorado or it wouldn't have been shipped. I'm not sure shippers can predict the ridiculousness of the shipping companies all the time.

Huge blizzard and ice storm blankets the east half of the country.... lets route all of our packages through that hub this week!

HA! wow that is crazy they would do that. I try and order online in the Spring and Falls. I'm waiting on spring to come now to get a couple orders in from Florida.

Back