Should I buy a RODI filter?

nixrsix

I have a 44 gallon tank, so my water changes are never that big and my water top offs aren't either. I pay 50 cents a gallon for RODI water from my LFS.

How much does it cost for upkeep on a RODI filter? How much is the media I have to change out. Im guessing each filter lasts for different lengths of time. I'm just wondering if a RODI filter is worth getting or if I should just keep buying the water from the LFS

How much gas are you spending going to the LFS how long does it take? Your time is worth something driving back and forth to fill a 5 gallon bucket. I would think if your tap water isn't to bad the filters on an RO/DI system could last you a year maybe longer. The only thing that would need to be replaced is the DI resin in that amount of time. Now were back to how much money you would actually save...None probably the first year you owned the system , you have to recoup the cost of the system. The following years you would save money and if you ever upgraded the size of your tank the saving's would grow substantially.

Do you know the TDS of the LFS's water? Many years ago I used LFS water, and yet I had algae issues, I tested the TDS of that water it was over 100. The next day I ordered a RO/DI unit. Plus, it was getting to be a hassle to get water. I would get 20 gallons at a time, and would seem to run out at the worst times.

For being able to control how good the water is, I think that alone makes getting your own RO/DI unit worth it. Then factor in that things seem to go wrong when you are out of water and the LFS is close/too far away.

In general the pre-filter/carbon filter will last up to 6 months. The RO membrane can last up to 3 years (( depends on if you can your pre/carbon filters enough and your starting TDS. )) The DI resin is hard to predict, that depends on your starting TDS, and the rejection rate of your RO membrane. Mine can easily last over a year.

The LFS is about 7 miles away from me. My truck gets like 12mpg, so I use a little over a gallon of gas there and back. I fill up 20 gallons as well each time I go though to always have extra on hand. I haven't checked the TDS. I haven't ever had any algae issues using their water.

How much does is cost to replace DI resin?
How much does the pre-filter/carbon filter cost?
How much does a RO membrane cost?

I appreciate the help guys! I would really like to buy a RO/DI setup, but don't want to spend more just to have it.

These are just average prices, sure you could find some cheaper or more expensive, but should give you an idea.

RO membrane --- $30-$40 But, should get 2-4 years of life out of it (( too many unknown factors right now to give a better idea of the lifespan.

Prefilter & Carbon --- $10 Should be changed every 6 months

DI resin --- $20 The time frame is hard to judge, depends on your starting TDS, and how good of an RO membrane you have (( some are rated for 90% rejection, whereas others are 96%-98%, the higher the rejection rate, the longer your DI resin will last )). I know for me, I can easily get over a year from it.

I know that there have been times where I needed to make water at night (( after an anemone spawning event )), so having an home unit was well worth the cost.

I've heard a lot of good things about the "Oceanus 100gpd" but can't find where they sell them online. I saw something about selling them on www.aquaticreefsystems.com but it only seems to be a site like this one, not a store???

Anyone recommend a certain RO/DI unit they favor?

In a word, YES
Best labour saving move I ever made. WELL Worth it - and you may also want to put in a little tap to drink from.

The cost of cartridges is definitely less than driving to the store, buying the water and hauling it back. Plus - how much is your time worth?

Go for it. You won't regret it. It is especially helpful in a smaller tank, where salinity can bounce up and down more rapidly.

I see a lot of RO/DI systems on ebay for under $150, are any of these okay to go with? I would like to stay under $150 if I could. I saw some for around $100, I would love to get away w/ one of those, but I dont want to buy a POS...any idea's?

what about this one? I can also add $18 bag of resin refill, good for 3 refills.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REEF-HOME-RO-DI...882834f7d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_6935wt_1167

or this one which I would love to get if it's not a POS...$89!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse-Osmosis...s_US?hash=item5ad27f1b04&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited:
Check www.airwaterice.com (Air, water and Ice) they have a 75 gpd RODI (5 stage) unit that works great ($140).

The best part of having an RODI unit is that you are more consistent with water changes and Top Off. You can fully automate Top Off so one less thing to worry about, and having always water ready makes changing water less of a hassle. Back in the day, when I used the LFS water I end up taking too long between water changes, always delaying the visits to the LFS because of 20 excuses. Plus if you are not careful visits to the LFS end up being pretty expensive when you see a coral or fish that you "must" have :)
0 TDS RODI water also provides you with better water quality parameters and will save you money and time as you will avoid nuisance algae, coral and fish deaths, etc...
There are a couple of things I will always have in a reef aquarium, an RODI unit and a Controller. Both have made my tank easier to maintain and enjoy.

A couple of things to consider. If you get a more expensive unit you can add RODI water for drinking purposes. That will save you money if you already buy bottled water or use brita filters. You have no idea how much better RO water is vs tap water. Also, think through the location of the RODI unit. To produce 1 gal of RODI water you waste 3 gal of "dirty" water. In most configurations this water goes to the drain. However, this water is still good for things like watering the plants/backyard. I have even seen people that use it with washing machines.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15502926#post15502926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boret
Check www.airwaterice.com (Air, water and Ice) they have a 75 gpd RODI (5 stage) unit that works great (140.00)

This is the one I have and it works great, after almost a year of heavy use still gets 0 TDS, and the DI resin still looks good, only thing that might need replaced soon would be the the micron filters.

Saying "you get what you pay for" on the ebay units is actually an exaggeration, you get a whole lot less. Don't waste your time.

If you're attempting to get a quality basic unit for minimal cost (that's built properly with correct components), there are a number of sponsors here that offer something similar:

Buckeye Field Supply ~130
http://buckeyefieldsupply.com/~buckeyef/Value-Series-RODI-System-p151.html
Bulk Reef Supply ~130
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI.../Economy-4-stage-RO/DI-unit/product_info.html

etc.

I see those are stage 4's and the ebay ones are stage 6.....whats the difference in stages, what are the stages calculating? Does each micron filter tube equal 2 stages? Does all it mean, is the more stages, the more passes through a micron filter for the RO process?

We advise that you not fall into the trap of thinking that "more stages = better filter."

Unless you have some specific problems you are trying to deal with, 4 stages is all you need - as long as you use good quality filters.

We'd be happy to talk to you in detail about this if you'd like.

Russ

I dont know anything about RO/DI filters, what can you explain to me, the difference between a good 4 stage vs a not so good stage 6?

Well, Lets see for me...
Water change weekly. 10Gal, and use about 5Gal top off RO during the week. LFS charges $12.50 for this (.99/Gal Salt, .50/RO). 12.50*52 Weeks, thats $650 a year for me if I stay on schedule.

So, I got a RO system off eBay ($100), a 55 Gal drum (free), 32 Gal trash can (~$20), and probably another $40 in parts and stuff. Year worth of salt for me is around $120.

In my first year I not only will save over 50% and I dont have to spend my time driving, gas, miles... Yeah I love it. Even my friends come get water from me since its easier (come to think of it I dont charge...).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15504334#post15504334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nixrsix
I dont know anything about RO/DI filters, what can you explain to me, the difference between a good 4 stage vs a not so good stage 6?

My guess is we can accomplish more ina 5 minute conversation tahn in a buch of posts. Be happy to talk with you and answer any questions: 513.312.2343.

Russ

Interesting thread - and some good sources for reasonably price RO DI units. I would have to say I have seen some horrendously overpriced units - maybe even $500 - that are no different from my $110 eBay unit I have been running for 6 years without trouble - it was an AquaSafe. I guess I got lucky, and there may be some junk out there - it is always better to deal with a pro - I hadn't ever heard of Buckeye before - that looks like quality stuff at a very reasonable price.

Go for it - you won't regret it.

every time i go to my lfs i never leave without spending at min a $100 just for new corals not to mention whatever excuse i used to go there for in the first place.

Back