show me your CUBE!!!

new to the cube club

new to the cube club

i just finished setting up my custom 50g cube (24"x24"x20") that has been in the planning/building stages for about 10months.

i just moved to a new town, so it was the perfect opportunity to have the new tank already set up at the new place to make moving the live stock much easier.

here are my specs:

-50g acrylic cube built out of 3/8" acrylic
-3" eurobrace around the top
-back wall has an added 1/4" black acrylic sheet
-external overflow built into the back wall (makes the back 5/8")
-1/4" acrylic sump (holds about 20g)
-PFO parallel reflector
-PFO 250w HQI ballast running an SE radium bulb
-H&S A110 external skimmer (running it in the sump at the moment)
-2 nanostreams (6025's)...will probably add more flow in the future
-aquacontroller jr
-liter meter 3 dosing DIY 2-part mix

i still have a few things to do like hiding the heater in the fuge, adding T5 actinics, and a better fan. maybe even a chiller.

tank has been set up for a week now, but first here are some build pics:

stand being built
trim20work.jpg

stand w/ a 30g cube
stand20and20canopy.jpg

water test
IMG_1458.jpg

external overflow w/ clear sides
IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

the sump w/ a black wall

DPP_0001.jpg

keeps the light out of the sump

IMG_1469.jpg

some of the plumbing, that has some of the return redirected back into the fuge
IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10392238#post10392238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nUgZ
Tanks looking great Al. Do you have a thread on the build??

yeah, but its on another forum that RC has disabled links to. :rolleyes:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10222506#post10222506 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
Well it arrived on monday and there has been two frantic nights of the house in a mess and late nights but I am finally gettig there.
I am in the process of fitting the pc actinic lighting and the auto top off. The kalkwasser will go in the end of the custom built sump in a separate section (the empty one far left). I designed the sump myself and am pretty happy with it. The light is a 400 watt mh fitting.
I transferred some old rock with the new and my shrimps and snails and zoos only lost 1 snail so far. Shrimps are very happy and actually eating the die off on the new live rock bonus.

113133fullt-and-chiller.jpg

113133sump-angle.jpg

113133sump-front.jpg

113133tank-front.jpg

113133400watt-mh.jpg

Here,s an update, got new corals fish nems all doing extremely well
parameters are
NO3 0
PO4 0
calc 440
alk 3.6 meq
mg 1425

113133full-tankaug.jpg

The tang is there for photo purposes only.

The tang is there for photo purposes only.

lol nice. i still can't believe people are still trying to keep tangs in small tanks even with all the knowledge they gain from reef central.

but great looking cube otherwise.

I dont usually do charity cases but this fish was at the market in a tank with 50 other baby powder browns that were dieing or dead, so i took him, I had some algae he was going to die, fat as a pig now ,sorry tang police.

and for about 5 dollars why not, These creatures are adaptable and its only there for disply purposes, what do you have in your 68?

I hope no dwarf angels, not suitable for small tanks

These triggers have been great, no nipping at all, well my nassarius maybe when I forget to feed them. Tank size, it's a 90 gallon cube (30x30x24)

Back