Show off your SUMP!

Probably because thats where water level is lowered by evaporation.

EDIT: Didnt seethat u beat me to it Gold Stripe :)

oh! IC. hehe. i have an auto top off. so, i didn't think of that.

I really like Terahz's sump style. It's simple yet effective. I am planning to only grow cheato in the refugium area and nothing else. what do you guys think? Live sand or no live sand in the sump area?

40 breeder, has not seen water yet so i cant comment on function yet.
light002.jpg

sumpbuild003.jpg

33 long from my 210 setup, external fuge was nice, kinda cramped but what sump isn't
i like taht i can redirect the drains to replace the dirty filter socks
2009083.jpg

nice sump..do u hav a build on this would like to do somethings like this in my new build

Working model sump

Working model sump

Working on finishing this sump now...22.5"x24.75" - fitting into stand for 4' long 120 gallon tank with lots of equipment.
Total US gallons: 33
No interior refugium - building as secondary unit.
Bracket at rear for 2 3.5" reactors and 2 probe holders.
Soon to be cored for 2" bulkhead.
Already have lids cut to limit evaporation, but waiting to plan openings for equipment that will protrude

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
Our sump for a new tank build still under construction.
9ft long x 3ft wide x 16" high, glass not acrylic.

Frag section - 3'x3' give or take an inch

Skimmer section

Holding section, return & reactor pump sections behind

Skimmer dry install - Bubble King deluxe 500 - internal

Skimmer section

showoff...

wow..amazing set up... whats your DT size?

Skimmer section

VERY VERY Nice! That is one hell of an impressive sump!

65 gallon sump in my basement for my 40 gallon breeder display in the living room above it.

Tank is still cycling...

sump2.jpg

How do you like the egg crate & live rock set up? I was thinking of doing something like that. Does your rock hold up the egg crate?

How do you like the egg crate & live rock set up? I was thinking of doing something like that. Does your rock hold up the egg crate?

Well, the tank is only cycling so it's not like the design is fully tested with chaeto in the refugium, but the water must pass through the rock (on both sides) to get to the return.

Yes, the rock does kind of hold up the egg crate, although it is pushed down into the sand a bit and can stand alone. But really the rock holds the eggcrate against the baffles. It might be kind of hard to see, but the raised baffles on both sides also have 2" high baffles directly under them and siliconed to the bottom of the tank. The sand lies in between those two short baffles. There is about a 4" or 5" gap between the short baffles on the bottom and the raised baffles above them where the water flows through the eggcrate and rock.

Well, the tank is only cycling so it's not like the design is fully tested with chaeto in the refugium, but the water must pass through the rock (on both sides) to get to the return.

Yes, the rock does kind of hold up the egg crate, although it is pushed down into the sand a bit and can stand alone. But really the rock holds the eggcrate against the baffles. It might be kind of hard to see, but the raised baffles on both sides also have 2" high baffles directly under them and siliconed to the bottom of the tank. The sand lies in between those two short baffles. There is about a 4" or 5" gap between the short baffles on the bottom and the raised baffles above them where the water flows through the eggcrate and rock.

Awesome, I do see the short baffles. I like your idea

Awesome, I do see the short baffles. I like your idea

Thanks.

I should note that the reason for the short baffles is to contain the sand because I have a circulation pump in there (now bigger than what is in the pic) to tumble the chaeto and whatever circulation I have going on, I do not want sand anywhere but the refugium.

Back