Show your Mangrove Systems

lighting question..i have 3 red mangroves so far in my sump suspended from Styrofoam. the root system is growing well. i plan on purchasing 18 more and would like to plant all of them. i have fine sand i will use and medium sized pot.

i am lighting them with a kessil 150w 6500k. i have the lights on for 12 hours a day 12" over the plants. par is around 150. do i need to run the lights that long? ive heard 8 hour can be plenty.

Do Mangroves use up your calcium level?

Nope! There is an extremely small amount of calcium that may be taken up for cell creation (microscopic, not even noticeable), but other than that no. They don't uptake calcium like calciferous macro algae or corals do.

In need of bonsai maintenance.

In need of bonsai maintenance.

WilsonSept2014_zps5ce09562.jpg

Time for a new picture. It is also time to wire up all this new growth and do some cutting. Check out the new Chip star in the lower left corner.

I will have another picture after the new growth has been wired up.

Trimming Day

Trimming Day

I got this week off work and figured it was a good day to get some trimming done. I hate doing, cringing with every cut! Here are a few pictures.

Major Cuts
PA290099_zps0bf55057.jpg

Here is a close up example of how I wire the branches.
PA290102_zps2a2c0b7e.jpg

PA290103_zpsa505438b.jpg

You have beautiful trees! Very fine work on the bonsaiing. I definitely can relate to the anxiety of cutting back some growth. The whole time you're like "I'm sorry please don't die!" haha

mkabrick. i have that same light on my mangroves but it seems if run it longer then 7 hours leaves start to turn brown. i have my light fairly high too.

how long to do run your lights daily?

mkabrick. i have that same light on my mangroves but it seems if run it longer then 7 hours leaves start to turn brown. i have my light fairly high too.

how long to do run your lights daily?

My Kessils are on from 7am-9pm they are about 10-12 inches above the canopy.

Some leaf discolor and drop is normal. I have seen young trees stress and wilt, then bounce back once the stress was removed. I have not experienced a healthy leaf go yellow/brown and not die off. A new leaf will often appear light green with red hues, or sometimes yellowish, and darken with a few days.

does this sound like your issue? do your leaves wilt when they turn? its got me scratching my head. pictures would help.

Question for those with mangroves (as I may be incorporating them into my dream build some day):

What about the roots? Is there any worry that roots will eventually crack the tank that they're growing in?

Brink-as long as the mangrove are healthy you can cut all the way back to one set of leaves and have no fear of death. Also you can use less wire if you wire a little more of an angle(45'ish) and use one wire instead a couple twisted together. You can see the example in my sticky at the top of the page, though I have no idea why the pics are so big.

I have problem with my mangroves it growth to about 15" then all the leave fall down and die any one know the reason?

i have reduced my light to 6 hours from 8 for the kessil a150. they do receive low indirect sunlight for the day. think 6 hours is too much for the kessil might still be too much along with the sunlight. might try 4 and see if tips still burn. my light is at least 2 ft away.

Question for those with mangroves (as I may be incorporating them into my dream build some day):

What about the roots? Is there any worry that roots will eventually crack the tank that they're growing in?

My 60 gallon cube mangrove refuge display in my office.

Running for two months now, mangroves were transplanted from one of my other tanks. Have had the mangroves just over a year now. Incorporating some other macros and have some more fish to add, mainly blue eyed cardinals.

IMG_1423.JPG

Back