Show your Mangrove Systems

Sweet setups! Hey reefs4life could u explain to us how the semi-auto sprinkler works I've been thinking of doin a mist my self with an aqualifter timer and some mist nozzles.

My trees had out grown my I.M. Light. I have gone with the Kessil light for now and they seem to be working very well.

P2012018_zps436acfc2.jpg

Here are some updates with my new lighting.
P2012024_zps5caa82f4.jpg

Top view
P8231963_zps733d9f41.jpg

Nice root structure

thats crazy
i see all those mangroves and i wonder what would happen if u plumbed a nano reef tank next to it. that might make one heck of a filtration unit. could something like that work or would it throw the whole dynamics off. sorry for the hijack but im just astounded

a thought just came to mind.
will the roots end up stressing the seams and or bust them?
was thinking of making a 40 breeder into a bedroom tank and dont want an eventual flood

brob22-
Thanks! you are right, this woud make a nice side stream filter to a reef. it would be neat to see more refug at show quality.

saltwaterfishlover-
I can hardly wiat until the roots are that big. I keep a close eye on them, and already have a few that have reached the windows. They curve around and continue to grow. Once the roots get crowded I will begin training them just like the tree branches. I'd like to train them back to the surface and see if I can get more prop roots going
P2012032_zps57dba512.jpg

P2012033_zps719617f2.jpg

a thought just came to mind.
will the roots end up stressing the seams and or bust them?
was thinking of making a 40 breeder into a bedroom tank and dont want an eventual flood

There was a post earlier in this thread or in the mangrove thread under the stickies. I don't remember.

Hey I wanted to post a question. I hope it is not too off topic. I have a Fuge with 4-6 inches of sand a basketball size of Chaeto and 5 Red Mangroves. The mangroves have put out their first 2-3 leaves but I'm still battling algea. I am thinking about hooking up a GFO reactor. Will the GFO scrub the water too much for the Chaeto and Mangrove?

That's interesting I've never heard that before. I'd be worried about the chaeto absorbing the nutrients before they can get to the mangrove roots.

Here are my mangroves in my sump w/ the roots in the ball of chaeto

Attachments

• 20140512_214832.jpg
    20140512_214832.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140512_214857.jpg
    20140512_214857.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
Hey mkabrick!
You have some awesome trees! Have you grown them with their roots in media for their duration or did you have them suspended hydroponically at any point?

mangrove substrait

mangrove substrait

Hey mkabrick!
You have some awesome trees! Have you grown them with their roots in media for their duration or did you have them suspended hydroponically at any point?

thanks. the early work is starting to pay off!
the trees were first wired to the rock island and crushed coral was used as substrait. when i upgraded to rimless (~2012) I added the sand.

Old setup
Used to have 6 healthy mangroves in a 40 br. All over 2' tall with one being over 2.5'. Used to grow them under deep blue 30" 4 bulb T5 using 2 6000K bulbs 1 roseate and one Purple. Old substrate was a center of mud where the mangroves were planted and crushed coral around it

attachment.php

attachment.php

New Setup.
Recently downgraded so I had to consolidate tanks as well so now this new mangrove setup is part of my sump. Unfortunately we all know that mangroves don't really like to be uprooted once they're well established so from my old 6 I was left with just 2 :( but I did get new propagates. In the new system, the mangroves are lit by a 70w MH floodlight because it's a thinner yet taller setup so I needed something that would penetrate better. New substrate is the old mud on top of a deep layer of black sand. Also has a semi-automatic sprinkling system.

enezeryn.jpg

I figured out a way to make this a fully automatic sprinkling system and it's working very well!!! :)

Back