Show your Mangrove Systems

At what point did you start training the trees to get that curve in the trunk?
I have 3 propagules in my sump that have just started to sprout roots and I plan to move them into a macro algae display tank once I have it up and running.

You have to start early. Roots come first. Once the tree has acclimated to the tank then you will see growth break out of the propagule top. The first several leaves will be tender. It is best not to stress them. At some point you will get a growth spurt where the "stem" grows fast, add wire and start then.

You will find the new growth trains well. Some of the best effects come from training the propagule, which will be your tree trunk after several years.

I just have a quick question about the mangrove, how long do it have to be before you can cut the top route off. I have mine for 6 month and now it getting too tall for my tank should I cut it?

I just have a quick question about the mangrove, how long do it have to be before you can cut the top route off. I have mine for 6 month and now it getting too tall for my tank should I cut it?

it is best to wait until the tree has branched to make a cut. You can cut it before the branches come but it might stress the tree too much

My was about 2ft tall now with no branches I'm scare it outgrowth my tank stand I just cut one today to see how it doing. Somehow I can't post picture here it say too large anyone can help me on what to do thanks

Here are mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I so love that tank... on several levels.

Mine are just starting to branch, from some cuts I made.
Can i start training? What wire do you use?
I've noticed that the leaves can be somewhat easy to accidentally knock off.
These have been growing for over a year from propagules. They were pretty tall but i cut them back to get the branching started.

20131227_C270516_200gReef.jpg

I cut a couple of mine like that.
4uvera4a.jpg

FTS had this display fuge going for a month and a half now
ahu2a4ub.jpg

ta5e6uty.jpg
usehanyh.jpg
su3yrynu.jpg
utu3yhup.jpg

Not as bad as Giga's but I have some growt to do. Thinking about growing some out in freshwater but I have no time. Lol.

Bonsai Mangrove System

Bonsai Mangrove System

My trees had out grown my I.M. Light. I have gone with the Kessil light for now and they seem to be working very well.

P2012018_zps436acfc2.jpg

Here are some updates with my new lighting.
P2012024_zps5caa82f4.jpg

Top view
P8231963_zps733d9f41.jpg

Nice root structure

I so love that tank... on several levels.

Mine are just starting to branch, from some cuts I made.
Can i start training? What wire do you use?
I've noticed that the leaves can be somewhat easy to accidentally knock off.
These have been growing for over a year from propagules. They were pretty tall but i cut them back to get the branching started.

Hi Denis, I would try aluminum wire from a Bonsai Center.
Btw, I wouldn't use the cable ties, they will cut into it. Try rubber bands or the green plastic tape for flowers from HD

My trees had out grown my I.M. Light. I have gone with the Kessil light for now and they seem to be working very well.

Here are some updates with my new lighting.
P2012024_zps5caa82f4.jpg

Top view
P8231963_zps733d9f41.jpg

Nice root structure

Dude that's awesome! I'm growing a couple of mangroves and going to do something like that island you got going.

Old setup
Used to have 6 healthy mangroves in a 40 br. All over 2' tall with one being over 2.5'. Used to grow them under deep blue 30" 4 bulb T5 using 2 6000K bulbs 1 roseate and one Purple. Old substrate was a center of mud where the mangroves were planted and crushed coral around it

attachment.php

attachment.php

New Setup.
Recently downgraded so I had to consolidate tanks as well so now this new mangrove setup is part of my sump. Unfortunately we all know that mangroves don't really like to be uprooted once they're well established so from my old 6 I was left with just 2 :( but I did get new propagates. In the new system, the mangroves are lit by a 70w MH floodlight because it's a thinner yet taller setup so I needed something that would penetrate better. New substrate is the old mud on top of a deep layer of black sand. Also has a semi-automatic sprinkling system.

enezeryn.jpg

IMG_20140203_200750_850.jpg

Just starting up but they have had pretty good growth since November. I have about 25 propagates.

Back