shrivleing RBTA

mikerunkle

Have had a RBTA for about 4 days now. Have minimal experience with anemones. It seemed to be happy and healthy. Over the course of an hour this morning it went from big, full tentacles to shriveled up like this. The pic is lousy, but need to know if this is typical behavior or a reaction to some kind of unknown stressor.
DSCN3171.jpg

quick update as I sit here and stare at it....it is in control of its tentacles and different ones continue to inflate and deflate. Mouth appears inflated and some tentacles appear to moved toward the mouth briefly. can't tell if its the current or under control though.

I think that it is getting used to your tank.My bulbs would do this all the time.They would look just like this.After about an hour or 2 they were just fine.

He is looking better but still not as before. However more tentacles have "reinflated" although his mouth still appears extended....Definately not as bad looking as he was originally which prompted my panic. Would appreciate any comments from you fine folks on whether this is normal behavior. Is he just eating, pooping, flexing for the pretty corals, or what?
Thanks

I have 4 of these anemones. I've had them for 4+ years and they do this every once in awhile. It is either expelling wastes or may have been bumped or stressed by a fish or Crab or something. I wouldn't worry about it. Should be fine

for the first 3 months, my gbta did this once a day than started to do it once a week and now maybe once a month

Well he's back to normal and the clown is back and happy. So now I feel like a first time parent freaking out every time the baby sniffles....Thanks to those who posted to help get me down off the ceiling.:)

anemones are probably 90% water. It's expelling waste and water and taking in new water. should be fine and its normal. For starters feed it once a week. saltwater silversides or chopped shrimp, oyster, or clams. if you want it to grow more or faster feed more often, every 2 or 3 days.

Back