sick sebae

badwrasse

Bought a sebae anemone about two months ago that was fairly bleached and pinkish/brown more on the pinkish side and he has been getting color back since. Seemed to be doing good. He has a host clown fish that I bought at the same time. Last Sunday when I did a water change I noticed that his tentacles around the outer parameter are very small almost deflated looking and looking almost black in these areas. Water parameters are good. Seems to be responding to touch from the clown fish and still has a footing. I was just wondering if this is normal anemone behavior since it is my first anemone that I have ever tried to keep. Should I feed him?

Thanks in advance...

More info is needed about your tank so we can help you out.
Lighting, flow, inhabitants, water changes and parameters you keep it at. Any pictures?

Yes, you should be feeding it at least once a week.

ok it' a 90g with two 175w MH 14K

one MJ600 one MJ900 both have the mods. return pump is a Quiet One 760 GPH after head loss
reef octopus nw150 skimmer
sump/fuge is about 35gal

I do a 30gal water change once a month

Last edited:
Re: sick sebae

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15458135#post15458135 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badwrasse
Bought a sebae anemone about two months ago that was fairly bleached and pinkish/brown more on the pinkish side and he has been getting color back since. Seemed to be doing good. He has a host clown fish that I bought at the same time. Last Sunday when I did a water change I noticed that his tentacles around the outer parameter are very small almost deflated looking and looking almost black in these areas. Water parameters are good. Seems to be responding to touch from the clown fish and still has a footing. I was just wondering if this is normal anemone behavior since it is my first anemone that I have ever tried to keep. Should I feed him?

Thanks in advance...

I've had a BTA for 2 months now and it deflates tentacles like that every day.

I just bought an LTA yesterday and I noticed it doing the same thing.

This sounds like normal behavior to me but I could be wrong. I was gonna start a thread about the same exact thing until I stumbled onto this one so thank you :D

Maybe other "seasoned" anemone owners can jump in here to clarify for us.

Eddie

Definately bleached which makes it even more important that you keep feeding it. I would move the mushroom away from it so there is no aggression between them. A mushroom can take out a weak sebae. Overall it doesn't look that bad and it sounds like it is getting the color back which is a good thing.

What temp is the tank running at? How long are the MH on?

ya it had far less color when I brought it home its been getting better the last month and a half but now its taking a dive

temp swing is 79-81 I run my mh from 3-9:30 so for 6.5hrs

cant move mushroom its on a rock but ill try to move the rock whithout a rock slide

i feed mysis and squid once a week but didnt know if i should mess with it while it looks like this

Is there any way that you can increase your light period by an hour or so? They need high light and can get by with less if you feed it more. I have my sebae in a 54 gallon with 250 MH from 10a-7:30pm. He is purple/green/tan with purple/blue tips.

Mine will do this sometimes and it never seems to be a problem. I wouldn't worry about the mushroom. I've always had a mushroom rock next to mine and there has never been a problem. The fact that it's getting it's color back is a good sign. I was giving mine a small krill every 3-4 days until it seemed to be on the right track. The reasoning for every 3-4 day was because that was usually how long it took to digest the food. I figured as long as I wasn't loading it up with food while it was still digesting other food, it would be better for recovery. Now that it is healthy, I only intentionaly feed it once a month-ish.

I don't claim to be an expert on them but I will say that my method worked for mine. The only time mine seems to show any signs of stress is if I do something stupid. (dose alk too fast, change flow)

I think whats going on is that the clown is just to big #1
#2 I have seen both clowns steal food from the anemone

I put the larger clown in the sump and i will increase the photoperiod.

what would be good to make a cage so the other clown will stay away?

Last edited:
I just keep them distracted during feeding. I feed the nem and then I leave a finger at the surface for them to attack. It takes some getting used to but it works

I feed the clowns first and wait till they are full but it does not matter sometimes the clown wont even eat it he will just remove it from the anemone. remember the anemone is stressed so it takes a min for it to eat. im going to feed it agian today and cover the anemone with a modified stawberry basket.

ya only by an hr so far, I don't want to change to much at once i removed the larger clown but the male is still stealing food so i covered the anemone when i feed it. in a few more days i will bump it up a little more

As jason above said, I would feed twice a week and see how he does, maybe if you see your clown is eating more than him, you might feed it an additional meal . Also, as you bump up your lighting slowly, you will only need to feed him 1-2x a week. I only feed mine 1x a week cuz my clown feeds it as well and it is getting huge. Try some small peices of krill. Overall, it doesn't look bad and the mouth is tight, but you will see it darken some as it gets color back.

OK thanks i feed it two days in a row skipped a day them fedd it again looks better and more heathly toda, but some of the tenicals dont have any blue tips anymore kind of shriveled up and white at the ends I know its not heathly but is that a sign it was starving

Tough call. Mine will have a few tips that shrivel up once in awhile but it never seems to be a problem. When they shrivel like that they do look alot paler but color seems to retun once the tenticle inflates again.

Back