silicone question

reefrandy

Do I have to buy a 1 ounce tube for $8 or I remember someone saying Home Depot type works but which is safe ? anyone ? anyone? thx

You would have to double ck me but I think it's GE 2. You have to let it completely cure though before hitting water.

The only safe one they sell is in a squeze tube not caulk gun. It will say safe for aquarium use on the front.

Ge silicone one is reef safe do not use the ge silicone 2 it has bio shield in it which is harmful
Ive used it multiple times with no ill effects.
Let it cure for at least 24 hours but I usually leave it be for two days just to be safe.

Yes GE 1 is the only one you want to use. Also, do a search for it but there is some made by rtv that is food/aquarium safe and is much stronger than the GE stuff. evsalty also had some of this so maybe get in touch with him to see what he used and where he got it.

Yes GE 1 is the only one you want to use. Also, do a search for it but there is some made by rtv that is food/aquarium safe and is much stronger than the GE stuff. evsalty also had some of this so maybe get in touch with him to see what he used and where he got it.

It is actually made by Momentive now and was formally made by GE, it is caled Momentive RTV 100 series. It doesn't STATE food or aquarium safe but it is completely safe and is the most highly recommended silicone for adhesive strength for our applications. It is also only $8.99 for a caulking gun sized tube (10oz I think). I still have half the tube even after building my sump and installing my overflow wall.

I know some of the LFS in town carry the caulking gun tubes of AGA Aquarium Silicone, try calling around.

It is actually made by Momentive now and was formally made by GE, it is caled Momentive RTV 100 series. It doesn't STATE food or aquarium safe but it is completely safe and is the most highly recommended silicone for adhesive strength for our applications. It is also only $8.99 for a caulking gun sized tube (10oz I think). I still have half the tube even after building my sump and installing my overflow wall.

Where did you purchase it?

I picked up a 2.8 oz tube of DAP Silicone yesterday at Home Depot it was like $4.95 for the tube. It is aquarium safe, food safe and was called Household Adhesive Sealant by DAP.

Back