Sinularia not opening

hrdneglcry

Premium Member
I have a green sinularia that I have had now for a long time. It used to be open and about the size of my opened hand. But it has been more closed now for a month or more. Its not a tight fist. It still resembles a tree but no polyps are out and it is much smaller than normal. I read maybe it wants more flow to shed so today I did put it out into the flow. It doesn't seem to be dying but not open for a long time now.

How’s your water quality?
Do you do water changes?
What’s salinity?

Sometimes I see leather corals open less when I don’t do water changes for a while

If you think it’s shedding you can use a turkey baster n blast of waste

My water qualitybis good. I had it blocked from flownas it seemed to close up more in flow. But I read they like flow and it helps them shed so I completely moved into more of a flow. And more light. It always did well though.

My water qualitybis good. I had it blocked from flownas it seemed to close up more in flow. But I read they like flow and it helps them shed so I completely moved into more of a flow. And more light. It always did well though.
It would be interesting to see the numbers themselves and the daily flux.
Sometimes somebody’s “good” is not so good.

I actually do not test besided for ammonia. It was doing well then I removed a power filter which changed the flow. I put the filter back but it has not gone back to normal since. I moved it higher with more flow in case it is trying to shed. I don't know what to test for. I have a Red Sea test kit for calcium, Kh and Mg but I don't know how to use it. It seems complex

Generally for numbers we look for the following:

Salinity
Ammonia (NH3)
Nitrite (N02)
Nitrate (N03)
Phosphate (P04)
Alkalinity (KH)
Calcium (Ca)
Magnesium (Mg)

As for complexity, I don’t have the RedSea kits, but usually they may seem complicated with the instructions but actually aren’t as the test is performed. Usually it’s a measurement of tank water plus drops of regeants then swirl or sometimes no swirling and whatever wait time may be

It should be noted, some measurable amounts of nitrate and phosphate are generally considered necessary for coral health

Back