Skimmer and Lighting for 120G

ai-reefer

Let me know what you guys think...im thinking about ordering these in a week or so..still looking for a sump

Free shipping on all items.

SKIMMER

AquaC EV-180 Protein Skimmer w/ JG Fitting + Mag-Drive 7 Pump

AC180GM_99.jpg

Description
Main Features

$450.00

AquaC EV180 with Mag-Drive 7 Kit Features:
• Height: 20"
• Included Pump: Mag-Drive 7 (flowrate of 700 gph)
• Footprint: 5.55" x 9"
• Foam Tower: 5"OD
• Tank Size: 60-200 gallons
• JG Fitting: optional
• Bubble Size: .03â€"œ.05mm
• Water flow-thru rate: 275gph
• Volume of foam produced: 135cu.in.
The revolutionary AquaC protein skimmers do not use venturis, downdraft tubes, or air pumps; they employ the patented "Spray Induction System." This innovation allows the protein skimmer to efficiently draw in much more air than any other of the top protein skimmers. This coupled with the superiorly designed compact reaction chamber yields results that will literally blow the waste out of your water.

The redesigned and improved EV Series skimmers raise AquaC`s spray injection skimming (U.S. Patent # 6,156,209, #6,436,295) to a new level in terms of efficiency, performance, and value. A new baffling system combined with a significantly larger mixing box results in far less turbulence and increased contact time. The net effect is a dramatic increase in skimmer performance despite a drop in pump pressure requirements. AquaC`s molded spray injector now generates a significantly larger number of microbubbles, boosting overall performance to unbelievable levels considering such low pump pressure requirements.

Features:
• The addition of a precision ball valve for airflow control allows the aquarist to fine tune the skimmer`s output. Unlike most other high performance skimmers in this class, the EV is remarkably silent. The spray injection system does not generate the sucking noises typical of venturi and Beckett units.
• The John Guest "Speedfit" fitting is a great feature you will only find on AquaC ozone-equipped skimmers. This fitting is standard on models EV-240 and above, and can be ordered on the EV-120/180 ($5.00 option). Aquarists may also connect their calcium reactor effluent line to the skimmer`s speedfit connection. The pH of a calcium reactor effluent typically falls between 6.5-6.9, and over time the addition of this low pH effluent can have a deleterious effect on the system`s pH level. By dosing your effluent directly into the skimmer, excess CO2 will be "blown off" into the atmosphere and the tank pH will remain unaffected.
• The improved "Twist-Lock" collection cup and cap makes for a secure, flanged connection without the need for set screws or other locking type unions. Simply twist to crack the seal (EPDM gaskets) and removal requires a scant ¼" clearance. The new EV Series skimmers can be operated with AquaC`s auto-waste container, which are available in 2.5 and 5 liter sizes.
• Increased contact time = more protein removal. The size of the mixing box has been increased on all models by approximately 40%. To accommodate the extra foam the skimmers now feature taller and wider reaction towers, as well.
Mag Drive 7 features:
• Watts: 70
• Pump Size (L x W x H): 5.0 x 3.8 x 4.2
• Outlet Size / Inlet Size: 1/2" MPT / 1/2" FPT

LIGHTING

CU01123_99.jpg

CU01123_98.jpg

48 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 8x54W T5HO with 4 Lunar Lights

$400

Current USA NOVA EXTREMEâ"žÂ¢ High Output T5 Lighting Fixture
• European style high output T5 lamps
• Performance Driven electronic ballast
• Moon White Lunar Light for nocturnal viewing
• German parabolic reflector
• Fan cooled for maximum efficiency
• Energy Efficient
• Includes adjustable mounting legs
Experience a whole new level of brightness with Nova Extreme, the first ever 24 hour, high output T5 lighting fixture. These high output lamps will pump so much light into your aquarium that your fish will need sunglasses.

Performance is Everything
Powered by an advanced electronic ballast, the high output T5 lamps are driven to their maximum potential while ensuring long lamp life. The patented circuitry inside each ballast ensures consistent high performance and low energy consumption while meeting FCC standards with EMI protection and low THD. All components are the highest quality available, meeting ISO 9001 standards, and are potted to reduce thermal stress and increase ballast life expectancy. German parabolic reflector increases light output up to 99%. Integrated fan cools both ballast and lamps for efficient operation.

The Ultimate Spectrum
SlimPaq high output T5 lamps generate the ultimate spectrum for living reefs. Our proprietary blend of Nichia tri-phosphors provides maximum watts per lumen output, promoting high coral growth and excellent color rendition. Each fixture includes two 460nm Actinic Blue and two Daylight 10,000K SlimPaq high output T5 lamps.

Night Vision
Integrated Moon White Lunar Lights provide the perfect environment for nocturnal viewing, providing rhythmic moon luminance for increased spawning and reproduction. Casts a crisp moon glow for optimum nocturnal simulation and nighttime viewing.

Total Control
Two independent ciruits with six foot grounded power cords independently control 10,000K Daylight lamps and 460nm Actinic Blue lamps. Moon White Lunar Lights operate on their own transformer, providing complete control of timing periods.
• Bulbs: 4x54W-10,000K Daylight / 4x54W-460nm Actinic
• Lunar Lights: 4 x Moon White
• Total Watts: 432W
• Total Amps: 3.72A
• Independent Control: Yes
• Cooling Fans: Yes
• Dimensions (L x W x H): 48" x 14" x 2.5"

OR

Aquatraders%2048760MH.gif

$359

Fixture Size: 47.50 x 15 x 3
Support: 2x 250W DE HQI, 4x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 6x Dual Bluemoon LED
• External 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballasts with On/Off Switch
• Internal Compact Fluorescent Ballasts
• Three On/Off Switch, 1 for CF, 1 for LEDs, 1 for Cooling Fan
• Individual Power Cords for Separate Timer Setup
• Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
• Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
• Tempered Glass and Clear Acrylic Lens Covers
• Highly Polished Reflector
• Mounting Legs Included
FREE ITEMS w/ Metal Halide System Purchase
2x Odyssea 250W DE HQI Bulb 15000K
4x Odyssea 65W Compact Fluorescent Bulb Actinic Blue
6x Dual Bluemoon LED

I would avoid the Aqua C EV180. Their customer service is top notch but that skimmer leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I used one for about a year and wasn't impressed. You can get a much better skimmer for $450.
If you go with T5's get a fixture with individual reflectors. They are what make good T5 setups what they are.
hth, Chris

i just did a bunch of shopping around and comparisons for lighting for my much smaller setup i decided on pc lighting, if i was doin your build i would totally go with a t5 set-up. By far the best looking color imo. bulbs are more affordable also.

Thanks. I think i will go with the T5's for now. Perhaps a retrofit kit. But it costs as much as the 8x T5's with timers.

48" 6x54W SLR T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs
Manufacturer: IceCap
Dimensions: 46.8" x 15.0" x 2.8" (L x W x H)
Availability: In Stock - Usually ships in 24 hours
Item #: IC0051
T5 high-output fluorescent retrofit kit complete with IceCap SLR individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb made from 96% German reflective aluminum, three electronic ballasts (Universal AccuStart or Vossloh-Schwabe), a power-cord and color-coded wire bundle for each ballast, moisture proof end-caps, standoffs and choice of bulbs from any of our current selection of high-quality lamps. Kit sold complete except for mounting screws. Some assembly required. Ballasts engineered specifically to run T5 high-output bulbs for optimal performance and longer lamp life. (Don't settle for inferior T5 electronic ballasts, like the Workhorse, that are commonly sold with other T5 retrofit kits.) Multiple ballasts allow for independent lamp control. Runs cool and produces virtually no noise. Warranty: 1 year

t5_retrofit_ho.jpg

$450.00

Costs more than Currnet USA Nova Extreme which has timers, simulators, moon lights and 2 more bulbs.

Last edited:
I agree with fishdoc on the skimmer. I have a 125 and run a DAS EX-2. I could not be any happier with mine. They are pretty much a Deltec clone. Mine ran around $400.

Dude... Was you the one who got Bill's tank! You lucky dog... I went down and met him and got the canopy for my 120 that was with that set up. You got a sweet tank there and a sweet price but I am sure you know that! You totally should have kept the canopy. It just makes the tank look so much more "finnished" IMO. Its at my house and if you decide you want it just LMK. Its a beautiful peice of furniture and I would hate to break the set up. You would need it with a retrofit anyways.

On the skimmer note, I had the Aquacev180 and it constantly had to be tweeked daily. As the skimmate built daily I had to fine tune the air to get the head to climb. My old cheapo ASM G2 skimmed the pants off it without any mods and was way cheaper than the EV180 but never buy retail, Especially if you can hold out for the sweet deals. But you know all about getting a sweet deal on a tank ;)!! If you go retail lots of folks like the octopuss for the money and Sean at emerald bay can hook you up pretty much as cheap as online prices without the headach of shipping.

Brian may still have my old G2 for sell You can ask him, BMmcoy is his screen name.

I think they are only overdriven when you get the VHO ballasts.
Regular T5's are run at the same voltage

Debating between these 2 controllers

Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper 2 Controller $269
DA1111_99.jpg

Neptune Aquacontroller 3 (Backlight) w/ Temperature Probe $299
NS1181_1.jpg

NS1181_2.jpg

I agree with platax88, I run a DAS EX-2 on my 120 and love it. Unfortunately, they're not very well known and only available from one source in the US, petorama.net. At $440, the EX-2 is much cheaper than a Deltec, which it is designed after.

Check out the DAS Club thread, here.

Last edited:
As for whether it will be better to go with a fixture instead of a hood/retros, this comes down to what you want your tank to look like. Unfortunately, as you said, retros do not seem to save you all that much money unless you're going for really high end fixtures (you're doing the work and it's not cheaper... not cool man).

Hellolights has a retrofit kit that is pretty cheap by comparison to the IceCap. I used these to light a softie tank (obviously didn't need a ton of light) and was pretty happy with them. You might be able to beat the quality of the reflectors and ballast, but for T5's with individual reflectors I haven't seen anything that beats their price. They also cut you a really good deal on TRU bulbs. Needless to say, these are not high quality bulbs, but back when I bought my lights they were including them with the kit and it was a good way to get in and then just start rotating them out a couple of bulbs at a time over the next year. I don't know what I'd do for $10. It just sucks because you're looking at somewhere between about $120-$180 in lights.

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=705

As far as the IceCaps, you may be right about those not being overdriven. Just wanted to give my $.02 on the overdriving though in case you consider going that way...

If you pack as many bulbs over your tank as you can fit (I think basically 8 for a 24" wide tank) and mount them as close to the water as you safely can (not melting your center brace or getting salt splashed on the bulbs and electrical), I don't see that there could be any reason to overdrive a bulb for any corals or clams you would keep. Frankly, there is a good chance with that set-up that you would only be able to keep light loving corals in the top half of the tank. I personally might consider overdriving if I it saved me from buying another retro (e.g., getting 1 or 2 icecaps for the daylights and going with 6 overall... actinics on standard ballasts), but that's about it.

I imagine that the individual reflectors on the retro are much better,because the fixture doesnt have much room for the reflectors to be wide enough.

One big advantage of the fixture is that the clutter of cables is reduced and it has its own timer with white and blue moon lights.

I will buy a canopy and i'll be able to hide the fixtures

here is SpectraPure MaxCap RO/DI System, 180gpd w/ Pressure Gauge & Purity Monitor

thinking abou getting this one
$400
prolly overkill but wth

SP1714_99.jpg

check out the diy & selling forums as well....not only did i find some awesome deals, i also found alternative equipment recomendations to look into

How long does the Typhoon III last before you have to replace the first filters donk228?

the Maxcap is a better one in my opinion but it is overpriced.

i second the typhoon III....got one and love it!....i would recommend pretty much most of the RODI from Airwaterice....they rock!

and there's no need to spend that much on an RODI unit(put that $$ towards a controller).....and no need for that much water either ....a 75 per day would be fine for that size tank.......just make sure that the rejection rate is good

Back