Skimmer and/or UV Sterilizer?

Jonna43

:eek1:I have so many questions because I'm new to the hobby, so my apologies if this one seems like a dumb one...

I'm wondering if I should purchase a skimmer and/or a UV sterilizer for my 32g Biocube. I'm not too clear on what the difference is, but I've noticed that they are both pretty popular accessories, so I'm thinking one (or both) May be beneficial for my tank. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which one might be a better option.....or perhaps an explanation as to the purpose of each...in a dumb-it-down way for me to understand..:confused:...

Thanks so much!

I have both. I would say skimmer is essential, UV optional. Skimmers remove physical waste in the water column, so it is a form of mechanical filtration. The alternative to a skimmer would be frequent and large water changes to reduce nitrates. UV is difficult to size. You have to manage both the flow rate through it and the bulb wattage. Too little and you kill the good stuff, too much and it becomes ineffective. I think most people probably don't pay enough attention to flow rate and wattage and are getting little out of them. I run UV on both my marine and freshwater tanks.

I would get a skimmer if you can find one you like that works for your tank. The UV sterilizers work for people who have trouble controlling disease/pests. In a tank your size doing regular water changes should be enough to get by without either one, if you go this route make sure to use a turkey baster and blow crud off your rocks/sandbed when doing water changes.

When you're starting out, there's huge temptation to buy all the bells and whistles. But that doesn't guarantee a show worthy tank. But it will guarantee you spend a ton of money maybe unnecessarily.

Since you're just starting out, go with the KISS method for equipment and peripherals. Add equipment after you do a process of elimination. Water changes not working? Maybe add a reactor. Reactor not working? Maybe try algae scrubber, etc etc. Not saying that's the order, just an example of trying things as needed instead of going overboard right off the bat. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

For a tank your size, I'd pass on the uv unless you know you have a problem the uv will address.

My 2 cents. Good luck ��!

I had a 60g cube for 22 years. I used a dual biowheel HOB (marineland emperor) and a canister filter. No sump, skimmer, uv, or anything else (well, a heater).

On a 32 you really don't need to spend $$$ on either. If you do, you'll have wasted money when you upgrade because neither will be sized properly for your new larger tank.

For a 32 gallon I wouldnt bother with either and just do 5-10 gallon water changes.

UV is for killing stuff, but to get one that actually kills stuff it would be too big to fit a 32g tank. Skimmers are used to remove stuff from the water(organics that would rot otherwise). But one small enough to put on a 32g tank wouldnt do much over water changes.

Just get some live rock and something to put carbon in and call it a day until you see a need for more.

Back