Skimmer placement

LoveReefer

Hey guys setting up new reef tank. It was all setup yesterday but can't figure out which compartment of my sump to place the skimmer. The larger section on the left looks great for refugium and the right section fits my skimmer perfectly but access to my skimmer in the middle is a hassle with it in my stand.

Does refugium size matter? I figured the bigger area would be better but I'm also hearing to have skimmer before refugium.

What do you guys think?

f5ae8a041c4d21e97ecc2aa0cec97795.jpg
ae2a7de02f6072c74018e92d4dde9736.jpg
10221fc1cf44787a5433ded0cf2e2086.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, the water level in the sump is a little higher than I would like it. If I lower it. My refugium will only have around 7.5" of water. Is that enough?

Following.

I am thinking about moving my skimmer to the drain section.

Curious about peoples opinions on this topic.

I am thinking about moving my skimmer to the drain section.

That. The water level should stay constant there. If you need to, make a small skimmer stand to get the water level where you want it.

Love the aquascape! :)

Skimmer can go before or after, I'd go with it after given you sump design. Once the skimmer is dialed in you don't need to "access it" very often anyway...

-droog

Skimmers do need to be serviced.
You have to empty & clean the cup. If it becomes a pain it does not get done often enough. I would move it to where the water level is steady & easily accessed.

That looks like a trigger 26 or 34, on both of those models the chamber where you have the skimmer currently sitting is larger and meant to be the refugium.

I have mine in the chamber that the water first comes to. In your case - where the filter socks are. That is where the dirtiest water will be and will also give the water plenty of time to lose any microbubbles before returning to the DT.

Like Jesse said - if the water level is too deep there, build a simple stand for it to sit on. I made one out of scrap acrylic so that mine sits in exactly 8.5" of water.

I switched it into the first chamber and made a stand for my skimmer.......damned if I do, damned if i don't. Access to the socks are right behind the skimmer now. I'm tempted to do away with the socks all together even though I like having them. Changing them out every few days will be such a chore....

327e84dc905b1e9cf44cd14740e77c98.jpg
f0498dd883abce4df41d6b100a201fec.jpg

Back