Skimmer recommendations

callmesaul8889

Hey guys, I want to change skimmers. I have a Reef Octopus NWB150 and every time I do a water change, the damn thing overflows. This leads to me constantly adjusting the gate valve to get it just right, and I'm not consistently pulling out skimmate (probably from messing with it all the time). The footprint also makes it a PITA to remove the skimmer from the sump as I have to disassemble it in order to remove it.

So, I'd like to upgrade to a higher quality skimmer with a smaller footprint, and hopefully get some ideas on which brands won't overflow on me weekly. I don't have much experience with larger tanks as I spent most of my hobby years in the nano world. I've heard good things about ASM, Deltec, Bubble Magnus, and Vertex.

One thing that's important to me is how sleek the skimmer looks. I have an open stand design and one of the reasons I like the Octopus was the red/gray/black color combo. All my plumbing is red/gray and the sump is very much a display in itself.

Total water volume is ~95g and the goal is SPS dominated.

Anyone have any input?

your going to get a zillion opinions on this :). I might as well be the second!! ConeS CO-1 Aquamax. Get a used one if you can, I think a few on national boards :). If you can swing it, a BK double cone 150. If you can swing a BK you will never look back. LFS are going to say what they have is the best, but, I have been there and done that. I have had probably 20 different brands of skimmers over the past 30 years doing this. The BK is undoubtedly the best I have ever had. The Aquamaxx...... good performance for the buck.

my two cents :), you will get many many more "dollars" of thoughts on this subject :)

I'm on the lookout for a used Bubble King first and foremost. I've had the aquamaxx hob skimmer and I loved it, so I already like that brand.

It's not very easy to find I-Tech skimmers is it? When I was originally shopping I saw that brand recommended but I couldn't find them for sale anywhere except used.

Vertex, and deltec are both good high end options. There was a used bubble king for sale on the boards local not long ago. I would check there too

Sleek and sexy skimmer = nyos quantum. It's insanely quiet and pulls skim like a beast. My stand is open (for now) and the loudest thing is the water flowing into the socks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sleek and sexy skimmer = nyos quantum. It's insanely quiet and pulls skim like a beast. My stand is open (for now) and the loudest thing is the water flowing into the socks.

No doubt that Nyos makes sleek skimmers! They don't have a long track record as far as I can see. Even the Amazon reviews are a bit flaky.

Does anyone else have experience with Nyos? Without considering performance I think I like the style of the Nyos the most.

Melevs reef has a few videos, he is a big fan of nyos as well.

Marine Depot has 25% off all Aquamaxx skimmers until the end of the month. The C0-2 is under $300 with free shipping so I figured I'd give it a try.

I'm on the lookout for a used Bubble King first and foremost. I've had the aquamaxx hob skimmer and I loved it, so I already like that brand.

It's not very easy to find I-Tech skimmers is it? When I was originally shopping I saw that brand recommended but I couldn't find them for sale anywhere except used.

I am selling a bubble King like new at a good price too

I don't understand why your skimmer overflows after every water change. You should look for the trouble elsewher. I been using my reef octopus extreme 160 for five years and I almost never had to touch it after initial setup.

Does your water level stays the same in the skimmer section while doing a water change?

How big are your water changes?

Ive been using a Bubble Magus Curve 5 for the past 8 months and it has been incredible. But if my water in my sump gets higher in the section the skimmer is in, the skimmer will overflow, of course. Thankfully there is a way around this, the skimmer has a extra side port that is available if the operator wanted to change the angle of the pump, so normally its plugged up but if the skimmer looks like it is on the verge of overflowing at its lowest setting, I just pull the plug out of the extra port and this gives the water an extra output hole so the water level goes down in the skimmer column and doesn't overflow and then I just plug it back in a day later when I see the skimmer has reached a steady state.

How big are your water changes?

Ive been using a Bubble Magus Curve 5 for the past 8 months and it has been incredible. But if my water in my sump gets higher in the section the skimmer is in, the skimmer will overflow, of course. Thankfully there is a way around this, the skimmer has a extra side port that is available if the operator wanted to change the angle of the pump, so normally its plugged up but if the skimmer looks like it is on the verge of overflowing at its lowest setting, I just pull the plug out of the extra port and this gives the water an extra output hole so the water level goes down in the skimmer column and doesn't overflow and then I just plug it back in a day later when I see the skimmer has reached a steady state.

While performing a water change the main return pump should be off and the skimmer off too as well. After performing the water change when the main return pump goes back on, you should to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the water level in the skimmer chamber of your sump gets stable. Then turn you skimmer back on.

If the sump design is right, the skimmer chamber should keep the same water level at all times while the skimmer is running. There is no need to be readjusted. I only adjust mine if I want to get wet skimmate for while, then after a few days I'll adjust it back to what it was.

I also have a used Bubble King Mini that I am looking to get rid of for real cheap because it needs a new pump. The pump went bad and I decided to upgrade to the Nyos since the BK was underrated for my tank anyway.

My LIFEREEF skimmer is awesome. I like it because you can use any pump you want and can increase the size if you upgrade tanks down the road. Buy one and you will have a skimmer for life.

Back