Skimmer too big?

Stickboy97

Can a skimmer be too big?

I have an Aquamaxx EM300 new in the box that I bought for a 180g that never came to fruition. Is it too big for a 105g?

I also have 2 Reef Octopus 110 models, should I just one of those?

thx

I accidentally received a Reef Octopus Regal 300 when I ordered a 200 model.. I called them to ask them that very question.. the response from them .. even with the variable speed pump.. was that a skimmer too large would work sporadically .. only function when the protein made it to a certain level.. then quickly removing it.. and then basically sitting idle and inefficient in the interim ..hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they really can be too big.. And that EM300 pretty much is..
I'd just run the Octopus even though that is a "bit small" and sell off the 300..

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. May just sell one of the 110's and the Em 300 and buy something that is made for the 105

I don't think you can hurt your tank by having an over-sized skimmer. Its just a waste of money getting a larger unit than necessary.

Or do I have that wrong?

I don't think you can hurt your tank by having an over-sized skimmer. Its just a waste of money getting a larger unit than necessary.

Or do I have that wrong?

Personally I think it's old school thinking to have a giant skimmer just as its old school thinking you need 1000 par to grow acros. As stated earlier you need a certain amount of protein in the skimmer to create foam and start to climb up the neck. The larger the neck the more protein you need. If you can't maintain enough proteins/organics in the water to keep a foam head going, the skimmer idles, then collects enough to foam until it's all in the cup, and that continues over and over. Meanwhile as you say it's idling and wasting power. It's like having 500 horsepower to commute to work. If you have a smaller skimmer at the end of the day it is likely going to pull pretty much the same amount of junk, but it's going to do it a little more slowly and consistently, which is not a bad thing.

If the manufacturers wanted to make more money and sell more expensive skimmers they would rate them for smaller tanks, but they don't.

Of course this is just my opinion.

A skimmer that's too large simply doesn't work.

Sorry, has not been my experience..at all. I have had a 300gal rated skimmer running on my 55gal reef and a 100gal rated skimmer (both were Reef Octopus models)... and both worked well. They both pulled out about the same volume/density of skimmate over the same time period (about a week between cleaning/emptying) from my tank.

I had actually expected the larger unit to pull out more than the smaller one...but the actual volume/density removed was about the same. I then figured the limiting factor was not the smaller size of the smaller skimmer, it was the amount of proteins,etc available to be pulled out in my system. The smaller one was taking out as much as the larger one.

edit: I switched back to the smaller unit after a few months.... but only because it was quieter, easier to clean and it pulled the same density/amount of skimmate out as the larger. As Potatohead noted, the extra horsepower was going to waste...but the over-sized skimmer certainly worked.

Last edited:
I dont agree on being too large. Granted it will probably be iddle if there isnt anything to skim as the rap say but when there is, the skimmer would quickly remove it. It probably be wasting energy not skimming anything. If thats a concern why not just put a timer on it so it skims 1/2 the time and off the other. I wouldnt sell it off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I actually listed it for sale last night, then I found a guy with the same tank I have & he is running the same Em300. Says it works well. Rather than spend money buying a new skimmer to replace my "new skimmer" I think I am going to stick with the em300 & see what happens.

Having someone who has my exact set-up (other than livestock) helps make that decision a little easier. If for some reason I don't see that it's working well enough, then I can always sell it & probably get the same amount of $. It is after all 3 years old, even if it is brand new.

Thanks again!

I use reef octopus classic 90 (rated for tank up to 130 gallon) on a 40 gallon tank without any issues.

Don't think that skimmer would handle a 130gal tank with any sort of decent bioload.

A lot of skimmers are rated for double what they can actually handle. I'd say you are spot on with a 40gal and a RO C90

The size of a tank a skimmer can handle is just a ballpark. What is in the tank matters more than it's size. If you feed a lot, carbon dose, and/or have a heavy bioload you will need more skimmer than less. How the skimmer is installed and tuned also plays a large roll in how effective it is. Most just slap the skimmer in and go with it. Raising and lowering a needle wheel skimmer as well as manipulating air intake can have drastic effects on bubble size and in turn the effectiveness of the skimmer.

The skimmer for my new 600gal is an 80" tall venturi powered skimmer but I won't be turning it on until my current Precision Marine with an Askoll 1500 is over run. Probably a year or so until I can get the bioload heavy enough for the big one.

If you find yourself unable to keep a consistent foam head on your skimmer try to reduce bubble size, feed more, and carbon dose. That usually does the trick.

The guys that manufacture the skimmer disagree.

I run a skimmer rated for anywhere between 250g and 1000g on my 220 with great enjoyment and effectiveness.

Skimmer ratings are absolute crap, because there is no quantifiable measurement used to determine this. Also there are many variables to consider. If OP is heavily stocked or plans to add a bunch of fish, a higher rated skimmer is going to be better. Also if you plan on running biopellets/carbon dosing, you'll want a good skimmer to export the mulm thats produced. Skimmer ratings at BEST are a ballpark.

There is no place that says 'running a skimmer rated for 300g at some stocking level on your 120g thats lightly stocked will cause the tank to crash, you must use a skimmer rated for 110-175g instead'

Back