Smaller fishes disappear

DSDoyle

Hello,

When I add smaller fish to my aquarium, I do not see them ever again. For example, I added two Assessors, two Mandarians and a Dottyback and have not seen them. Water parameters are great.

My aquarium:

150g mixed reef
Blonde Naso Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Sailfin Tang
White Tail Bristletooth Tang
Yellow Tank
One-Spot Foxface
Cleaner Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Flame Angel
2 - Watanabei Angels
2 - Ocellaris Clowns

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Don

Last edited:
That seems like a lot of fish l, especially 6 tangs in a 150. Do you quarantine before adding to the tank?

Often, “everything is great” means “I did not check”
If everything is great then they should not disappeared. Your tank is massively bio overloaded. If it is my tank, I would re-home all the tangs and Foxface except 2 or 3. I would only keep the white tail, purple and yellow.
With the bio load manageable, perhaps your fish will stop disappearing.

Depending on the size of the fish you may or may not need to rehome some sooner than later, but you will need to rehome some. If the tangs, foxface and watanabes are all small the bioload shouldn't an issue but the activity of all those fish might be. Assessors, mandarins and many dottybacks will be very timid initially and with all the fish you have that will be even more pronounced. You haven't gioven a time frame for how fast all tehse fish were added but sequence can often be an important factor. Consideirng how many fish you have and a significant portion will outgrow your system, I'd advse against adding any more.

Often, “everything is great” means “I did not check”
If everything is great then they should not disappeared. Your tank is massively bio overloaded. If it is my tank, I would re-home all the tangs and Foxface except 2 or 3. I would only keep the white tail, purple and yellow.
With the bio load manageable, perhaps your fish will stop disappearing.
For the record, I check the water parameters weekly. Thank you.

Back