Smaller Tangs for Smaller Tanks

Reef Frog

Which Tang species (if any) are appropriate and will do well long term in the following tank sizes:

- 5 foot long tanks, either 18" or 24" depth
- 4 foot long tanks, either 18" or 24" depth

Let's assume a tank height of 18"-24". Compatible tank mates, excellent filtration & water quality, live rock done in such a way as to maximize swimming space.

There are so many surgeonfish species out there that I get confused and references like LA/DD often miss the mark on the right tank size.

I occasionally see comments from experienced people saying in effect "TangX and TangY will do OK in a 75g, but I have never seen a complete list of specie options for the 4 or 5 foot long tanks.

We all know there are plenty of options for 6 foot and larger tanks. But what about the slightly smaller tanks? Anybody have a list of Tangs acceptable for the smaller tanks listed above?

I've observed Kole's & Purple Tangs at the LFS and based on size & movement, they look like they just might work in the 4"-5" tank...but is that the right thing to do? Thanks.

the 6' thing for all tangs is just my opinion. you could probably get a bristletooth tang for that tank.

What percentage of tank owners have 6' tanks or longer? 5%? 10%?

Not trying to suggest that tangs can't live happy lives in tanks smaller than 6' but just because people have tanks smaller it doesn't mean tangs are still a good choice as they are available.

I think several of the Ctenochaetus tangs would do just fine. Personally, I love the Kole tang.

From my research only the bristle tooth tangs would be recommended.
White tail bristle tooth
Kole tang
Tomini tang

I have heard of some people say a yellow tang might be acceptable in a 5 foot tank. I personally would not do that.

From my research only the bristle tooth tangs would be recommended.
White tail bristle tooth
Kole tang
Tomini tang

I have heard of some people say a yellow tang might be acceptable in a 5 foot tank. I personally would not do that.

I had a yellow tang in a 75 for about 3 years. As it grew larger it became more erratic with its swimming style, darting in and out of caves. It started to become stress to watch it in that tank. Then I set up a 210 (( 6 footer )), and moved that tang into it. It was like a had a new fish. Would go move about the tank and a much more relaxed pace. This it what I had wanted a tang to act like. Was very enjoyable to watch it swim within that tank. I recently took down that tank (( moving/building a new house )), and gave that tang to a local reefer who had a similar tank.

Personally, won't put a yellow tang in a 75 again (( still have the 75 set up at my future mother-in-laws to hold my dwarf angels )).

I had a yellow tang in a 75 for about 3 years. As it grew larger it became more erratic with its swimming style, darting in and out of caves. It started to become stress to watch it in that tank. Then I set up a 210 (( 6 footer )), and moved that tang into it. It was like a had a new fish. Would go move about the tank and a much more relaxed pace. This it what I had wanted a tang to act like. Was very enjoyable to watch it swim within that tank. I recently took down that tank (( moving/building a new house )), and gave that tang to a local reefer who had a similar tank.

Personally, won't put a yellow tang in a 75 again (( still have the 75 set up at my future mother-in-laws to hold my dwarf angels )).

That's exactly the reason I won't put a tang in a 4 ft tank. I just got a 90, and as I was considering my proposed stock list I thought about a tomini for a minute and then ruled it out.

I would have not so many fish (10-15) with the others being smallish and then your last 1/2 fish being juvenile tangs. often have great success that way :)

Will they survive in a 4 foot tank? yes...
Will they thrive and live a relatively healthy, low stress life? probably not...

Can you do it? yes...
Should you do it? no...

We have to remember that we need to take the fish's needs first. Their life is our entertainment. I don't consider it very entertaining to watch a stressed out, crowded fish terrorizing it's tankmates. My tangs have their aggressive moments in my 225g, but they were absolute terrors in my 75g QT tank, and they weren't in QT all together...

have a hard time "seeing" how people draw their conclusions about tank size and tangs? my 6 tangs do great in my 5 foot 300 gal reef tank, however in a nearby restaurant's 2000 gallon FO tank the yellow tangs are destroying each other. imo, there are many factors involved in keeping healthy fish, tank size is only one.

CHSUB, you don't have the average 4 ft tank, so yes, it is probably doable in your case. We are typically asked if a tang will work in a 4ft 55, 75, 90, or 120g tank.

Though tank size is one of many factors, I think we all can agree that tangs (and many other fish) will suffer in an undersized tank.

Thanks for all the insightful comments and helpful links.

The reason for the question is I'm planning out my reef next tank and want a 6 footer and all the options it provides. But because of space issues a 5"x2" foot is what I may have to get. This tank might very well turn out to be the biggest tank I'll ever own so I am diligently researching precisely which fish will work in 5 feet of length, and which ones won't.

So I may have to compromise and mark some fish off the wish list forever. But being able to keep a Tang was a must for me so I had to be certain in my own mind that at least one species could be kept humanely in 5x2 feet. I'm confident now that several of the smaller 6" Tangs like Kole & Tomini should have an acceptable amount of room.

I think the math might agree too. A 6" Kole Tang is 25% smaller than an 8" Yellow Tang, and the difference between a 6' & 5' tank is 17%. Or a 10:1 vs 9:1 ratio of tank length in inches vs inches of fish. Tang On!

Thanks for all the insightful comments and helpful links.

The reason for the question is I'm planning out my reef next tank and want a 6 footer and all the options it provides. But because of space issues a 5"x2" foot is what I may have to get. This tank might very well turn out to be the biggest tank I'll ever own so I am diligently researching precisely which fish will work in 5 feet of length, and which ones won't.

So I may have to compromise and mark some fish off the wish list forever. But being able to keep a Tang was a must for me so I had to be certain in my own mind that at least one species could be kept humanely in 5x2 feet. I'm confident now that several of the smaller 6" Tangs like Kole & Tomini should have an acceptable amount of room.

I think the math might agree too. A 6" Kole Tang is 25% smaller than an 8" Yellow Tang, and the difference between a 6' & 5' tank is 17%. Or a 10:1 vs 9:1 ratio of tank length in inches vs inches of fish. Tang On!

imo, i would chose a single yellow, purple, or chocolate tang over a kole. regardless of tank size i have found kole tangs very aggressive, picking on fish that other tangs ignore.

I agree that Kole Tangs can be jerks. I have 1 now, I am trying to catch. He picks on my Flame Hawkfish and Lawnmower Blenny. Doesn't mess with nothing else.

imo, i would chose a single yellow, purple, or chocolate tang over a kole. regardless of tank size i have found kole tangs very aggressive, picking on fish that other tangs ignore.

Dang, just when you think you've got something figured out....

So you guys are saying that high aggression is an issue for the entire Ctenochaetus group?

Regardless of recommended tank size, what in your opinions are some of the "mellower" Tangs, if there is such a thing?

Last edited:
Back