Smite's Stout CDA- 205g acro dominant system

Also, anyone have experience running an outdoor sump? I'd love to have this system as quiet as possible and keep all the loud, hot and stinky stuff out of the living room. The tank is on an exterior side wall. That side walkway gets very little sun. I'm just wondering if the effort would be worth it, or if it's just too hard to keep it insulated properly. I'd plan on building a small 5x24-30" x 7' tall insulated shed if I go that route. It would house the sump, and all sump equipment. More than likely all the ballasts as well.

Anyone done this?

I have seen a few in my time and all had huge heating bills :D

Love the dimensions and your frags are doing great. :D

I think I mentioned when we met up that I moved my DT sump to the garage over the summer. While it took a great deal of time and planning it was worth every second. I was able to automate more of the manual work plus no mess/noise in the house (wife loves this). Here are some details which should be similar to an outside sump:

- My house is on raised foundation so I was able to drill through floor and go underground
- Sump placement in the garage about 20 ft from DT. Used a combo of SCH 40 and 80 parts from BRS
- Was a bit concerned about the distance so decided to buy a new return pump. Turns out I did not have to worry a Syncra 3.5 was more then enough (old pump)
- Had to tear out the stairs to the garage so that I can get the plumbing into the garage. Rebuilt the stairs so that there's a hollow underneath for the pipes/plugs/cables
- I have a tube that goes outside to the backyard drains for easier water change. Best thing ever. Just a turn of a switch and the water goes out.
- I placed an A/C unit near the sump, along with two other tanks for the summer. I have a fan on the sump as well. I have 3 Eheim heaters in the sump but planning to get one more since it's getting pretty cold in the garage (~50 degrees and will go down to 30's later)
- The sump is on an old workstation that came with the house. I had to extend the width of the table to hold the sump and another tank. The elevation facilitates a lot of manual work as well as better view of the sump vs. under a stand.

Best,
James
Awesome input James, thanks!

I'm on a slab but I'd literally be going just through the wall to outside. I really like the idea of the sump be elevated and I could do that, probably around 24' and still get good drainage.

It does sound like it would end up costing more power, I guess that would be the sacrifice. I have a pool so I'm in that top tier no matter what but really try to keep my bill under the $400 mark and that aint easy! Though our lows probably stay 10F above yours and the highs probably the same difference, low a bit lower.

I have seen a few in my time and all had huge heating bills :D

That's what I'm worried about.

In the winter I was thinking it may help me out during the day since I'll be running MH over the display. Hell maybe I'll just put a frag tank out there too and run 250w MH over it at night, lol. Get a little return on the heat.

I don't think summer would be too much worse than it is indoors.

I've also noticed how much heat all my electrical puts off, between the ballasts and apex itself my E cabinet is very warm. That could offset the temp if the housing was insulated enough, but then maybe I'll just be dealing with insane evap/condensation at that point? I could house the E in its own enlcosure to protect it but also blow the hot air out to the sump area, probably a waste of time though.

I'm leaning just keeping it under the tank for now.

I'm also thinking about insulating my garage a bit more for the extreme hot/cold weather. If you do a shed you can def insulate a smaller area and it'll be a one time cost vs. monthly bills.

I'm also thinking about insulating my garage a bit more for the extreme hot/cold weather. If you do a shed you can def insulate a smaller area and it'll be a one time cost vs. monthly bills.

Yeah I'm still considering it. It would be nice but I'll have to get a solid game plan going for it first.

Matt, reach out to Dave "o2manyfish", he runs an outdoor frag system with sump and he would be the one to guide you. If you've never seen his place/setup, it's worth the trip and Dave is old school like me, so I'm sure he would be willing to lend you some advice.

Matt, reach out to Dave "o2manyfish", he runs an outdoor frag system with sump and he would be the one to guide you. If you've never seen his place/setup, it's worth the trip and Dave is old school like me, so I'm sure he would be willing to lend you some advice.

Good looking out John, thank you!

Smite's Stout CDA- 205g acro dominant system

Paying attention to this!! Looks great loving the dimension on this tank. Did you go with CDA wood wraps as well?

I'm pretty much following your lead just about doing the same style of build myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Paying attention to this!! Looks great loving the dimension on this tank. Did you go with CDA wood wraps as well?

I'm pretty much following your lead just about doing the same style of build myself

Nice! You'll love the DD dims.

Ya know, I didn't go with them. I know they do great work but a) I was trying to keep costs down and b) I plan to make a floating canopy for this build. I'm not 100% sure exactly how that's going to go so it would have been a roll of the dice to have them prefab something for both to have it all match. Also I did some real simple ones for my 180g and I think I'll be able to make some nice looking ones with a similar technique with magnets.

That was my same option but I am kind of sold on having a nice shaker style wrap.

Like you I was looking into the 8020 to create a floating fixture. Reached out to framing tech with specs but they are pretty busy.

I was looking at EMT conduit as well, possible another type of option for you

That was my same option but I am kind of sold on having a nice shaker style wrap.

Like you I was looking into the 8020 to create a floating fixture. Reached out to framing tech with specs but they are pretty busy.

I was looking at EMT conduit as well, possible another type of option for you

I sourced some left overs for 80/20 from a local reefer. So my plan is basic frame from 80/20 mounted to the 2 walls above the tank. It will be higher, around top of window to top of canopy. Then I want to build a removable skin for it. The part that I'll have to deal with once I get there is figuring out how to make some inserts for the floating canopy for watching TV and having guests over to completely cut out light spill. I have a few ideas but not sure what will be most functional. Debating between a hinged type system with counter sunk magnets to hold it up when folded or just straight magnets. I worry about hinges above a tank.

I made some progress between paint coats in my bathroom.

I stole the plywood sheet from the tanks pallet and made a platform under the tank. 2 coats of kilz primer and topped with flat white rattle can.
1A1403A3-66FD-4E5A-8B42-7F02D4F74B60

I got some of those felt pads and placed them on the stand's metal frame where the plywood goes. I'm hoping that will eliminate any vibration noises if I do end up running the sump inside. I also cut some of those garage floor puzzle tiles to fit the area to help more with potential sounds/vibrations.

DB74F7AE-9F65-4788-BC55-AC124B217F0C

I got the frame done for my light rack. It worked out well and is very sturdy. It wont have much weight, 2 mh reflectors and 4 kessils. I want to try to keep the skin real light and removable which is why the front section is wide open. Incase I need to get back to the corners I'll be able to lean in. The canopy skin will be 14" so about where those anchor pieces are, the reflectors are 8" so hopefully that will cut down on a decent amount of light spillage.
553E8959-A565-49C6-90F8-DE003CB76F88

Yeah looking good, so you are attaching a front and sides on the lighting?

Thanks guys.

Yea, the plan is to "skin" that as a floating canopy type deal. I'm trying to figure out a way to have it be removable without being an eyesore. I was thinking knobs with t-nuts that fit those channels, so quarter turn then I could pull straight out and remove it. But that might look goofy. I could do powder coated flat heads but not a fan of needing to use a tool around glass if I don't have too. I don't see myself needing to remove them often, so that may be the way to go, not sure.

I'm also trying to brainstorm the best material to do it out of, I need to keep it light. Maybe box out some 1/4" plywood like a hanging closet door is made out of with a few cross supports to keep it true? Sounds like a lot of work though.

I was thinking these lumenbright pendants were 16x16 but they are 20x20". Coverage is going to be insane, they'll almost be touching to stay within the bracing footprint. It is going to make it a little bit of a challenge to mount the supplemental kessils, so now I'm planning on using those goosenecks and attaching them to the 80/20 so I can place them wherever they fit/work.

Does anyone use that flex pvc for spas on a reef tanks? Do they leach anything? I've noticed they don't have a potable water label.

I have used them in the past. They are exactly the same no issues with leaking anything . There are different types so uncertain what you looking to use. Is it just the standard white ones?

Are you thinking about using those flex PVC for the drain and return? I always thought about what would happen in an earthquake with all of these hard piping, and especially with external overflows. I know you have internal overflows, so that is safer.

I have used them in the past. They are exactly the same no issues with leaking anything . There are different types so uncertain what you looking to use. Is it just the standard white ones?

Yes I was thinking about the standard white ones, sched 40. I think they sell it at lowes.

Back