So how long will it take for my stomatopod to molt and what is it doing?

I know you've stated a mantis will bury and eat the molt but, would a mantis, like some crabs and shrimp I've had, use the molt as a decoy outside the lair until the shell hardens?

A stomatopod molt doesn't look much like a live one. I don't think it would be effective and there is no evidence that they deliberately place the molt skin outside the entrance.

Roy

Good info, my mantis finally molted after a month and a half of having him. He seems to be ok so far but it just happened a few hours ago while i was at work. He is about 4 inches long.

excellent info..

i just lost a gonodactylus smithii during his first malt in the system..truly awesome creatures, was a privelage to share time in such close proximity. just hope i wasn't too much of a stress factor on his last days

When Mantis shrimp molt, are they more "delicate" than say... a cleaner shrimp? It seems as though when Mantis shrimp molt, it's a much bigger "deal" than when a hermit crab or peppermint shrimp molt....?

Yes, stomatopods take longer to recover and are incapacitated more probably because the stomatopods have more armor that takes longer to replace.

Roy

Nothing special except don't bug them by trying to see what is going on in the cavity. Also, try to keep tank parameters constant. This is not a time to allow the temperature to change, to adjust the salinity or probably even clean the sand. By the time the molt is a day or two away, the animal has stopped eating and I would not recommend adding nutrients or supplements. (On more time - where did this myth come from that stomatopods need extra iodine?)

As for how long does it take for a 15 cm O.s to molt - about a minute. If you were asking how long is it between molts, it depends on how much it is eating and for females, if she lays eggs. The average would be every 3 or 4 months, but I've seen well fed large O.s molt in every two months and I've seen some O.s not molt for 6 months. Also, if the animal has lost its raptorial appendages, it will decrease the molt interval.

Roy

As for how long it

This kinda sux for me. I am in need of doing a water change and my mantis is really close to molting. Anytime ive walked by the tank i took a short glance and he's been on his back all day not moving so clearly he is close. Can cutting the lights for a day speed up his molt? Or make it easier on him?:uhoh2:

This doesn't sound good to me. Stomatopods do not usually lie around on their backs for days prior to molting. With a healthy molt, you typically see increases in digging and aggression a few days prior to molting and the last day or two they can't strike, but not the behavior you describe. If it were me, I would tend to the tank with a partial water change being careful not to stir things up and matching the salinities between the old and new water.

Roy

This doesn't sound good to me. Stomatopods do not usually lie around on their backs for days prior to molting. With a healthy molt, you typically see increases in digging and aggression a few days prior to molting and the last day or two they can't strike, but not the behavior you describe. If it were me, I would tend to the tank with a partial water change being careful not to stir things up and matching the salinities between the old and new water.

Roy

Ok, maybe i mislead you with my quick typing and really not thinking clearly.

He spent today on his back. The last few days he did just as you said. He dug a actual hole for the first time ever. He killed about 9 hermits within a day and a half and like i said today everytime i walked past he was laying there.

I had to work today but i got your message and did a water change. It was already lights out so he couldnt see me and vice versa....hoping for the best here. Thanks always for your input Dr. This will be his second molt since ive had him since Jan of this year. Am i over feeding?

I would say that you are only over feeding if your water parameters are off.

Restricted feeding will make the animal more interactive and cut down the risks associated with each molt, but the stomatopod will not over eat.

Roy

When my Peacock shed, he went crazy for a week or so...digging all over the tank, rearranging everything and what not. I've never seen him go so crazy, but the sed went great, it was very fast and the whole thing came off all at one time. He ate it within hours. I've had him for about 6 months and that was his first shed.

Can anyone tell me if they've ever hear of a N. Wennerae go from red to green? After 5 days of hiding and other signs - thanks to rc members, I now know mine has probably molted. Before I knew not to do this, I put a little light under my tank and realized he is now green?? Beautiful and bright green and reading that I probably just stressed him out is concerning me. At this point is there anything I can do? And is the color change a normal thing? He got much darker red before he went "underground", but this is no contest, GREEN?

I guess I got my answer! My Mantis must have molted, he went from RED to Neon Green with yellow appendages!!!! COOL!
Before molt:

After molt!

New Molt Questions: September 2, 2011

New Molt Questions: September 2, 2011

I figured I asked in here since the answer would be useful to others.

My 3-4" Odontodactylus Scyllarus just finished her molt on Tuesday August 30th around 3:00p.m. Tried to feed her table shrimp last night but she played with it and threw it out. Did not eat it.

1)How long until her jaws are strong enough to eat after a molt?
2)How long until her dactyls are strong enough to smash?
3)Is this shell rot, could never get a good pic before the molt? I think it is, but just need reconfirmation I guess.
accbc0e0.jpg

That appears to be advanced shell rot.

There is a difference between a stomatopod being able to strike and eat and doing so. This also varies considerably with size and species. A 3.5 inch O scyllarus can strike weakly after a couple of days and is back at full power in a week to 10 days. They will take soft food and eat part of the molt skin after a day or two but won't tackle a snail for over a week. A 6 inch O. scyllarus will be at least twice as slow recovering.

Roy

Thanks Dr. Roy.

I will try to get new pictures of her tail after the molt. Does not really show any Shell Rot. I noticed the Shell Rot last month. And left the actinics on only, bought selcon (feed her like crazy) and all of the stuff that you recommended even the UV sterilzer too.

Moving her to the 55g soon. It is larger (less of a Nitrate Factory) and no lighting at all.

Shell Disease on Tail.

Shell Disease on Tail.

The best pic I can get of her telson? Is that pink Shell Disease?

Mantis016.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. There is some recovery, but I doubt that it is completely healed. Also watch the brown spots on the dorsal abdomen. They look suspicious to me.

Back