So how long will it take for my stomatopod to molt and what is it doing?

Thanks, Dr. Roy. I will feed her as much as I can.

She molted Mid June and End of August. Is that good for her size?

11/15/2011 Progression of Molting with Shell Disease.

11/15/2011 Progression of Molting with Shell Disease.

The best pic I can get of her telson? Is that pink Shell Disease?

Mantis016.jpg

11/15/2011 Just Molted Two Days ago. Slowly but it does look better after this last molt.

6a401d2d.jpg

I have a G. Viridis in a 4G tank, and she's been happily living in it for about a year. I have never seen her molt, nor have I seen the shed carapace. In the last few days, her color has changed, as has her behavior, and I wonder if she is getting ready for a molt. She has been spending more time out of her burrow, swimming around the floor and up to the top of the tank, and sometimes lounging around behind (but not under) one of the pieces of LR in her tank.

The WQ seems to be within ordinary parameters, but I was starting to worry about her (although she's been eating normally).

Jamie

Peacock Molted - scared she has shell rot

Peacock Molted - scared she has shell rot

We've had our 6" peacock mantis shrimp since September (it had molted at the LFS just before pick up). We had the mantis tank covered and unlighted for the past few days of molting. We figured it ought to be done so we took a peak. She came out of her burrow and we noticed some spots on her back. But since we had no lights on it was hard to tell if the spots were normal or not. We flicked on the lights for a second to take this photo. She is normally very colorful and we had never noticed any rotting on her before. As you can see, aside from the concerning spot of possible rot she is also now a dull brown. Can someone please tell me if the spots on her is shell rot or something else? And what I can do, if anything, to help her out? Thanks in advanced!!

Attachments

• mantismolted.jpg
    mantismolted.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2
It looks like shell rot that has partially healed. However, this will often continue to spread after a molt. Good nutrition and water quality along with low light levels and a dark burrow are the keys to clearing this up. Make sure your nitrates are low. I have also found it useful to use UV sterilization and nutrient supplements such as Selcon.

Roy

Thank you so much for your quick response Roy! Even though it is not exactly good news it is a bit of a relief to at least know what we are dealing with. Thanks so much for taking the time to help and offer advice, seriously, greatly (add a few more superlatives in there) appreciated. Take care!

So how long will it take for my stomatopod to molt and what is it doing

So how long will it take for my stomatopod to molt and what is it doing

I dont know I use a seneye to track the most important parameters but dont have anything to test to that extent. I have seen 2 more berried making 3 now. Maybe it was the chlorine and chloramines not mixing in the bucket first. Its not as easy as doing it straight back along the pipe but will try it to see if it makes a difference to put in the bucket get a better temperature and mix it first.

Should it stand a while after mixing?

I know this thread is old, but my mantis shrimp has locked himself and covered the cavity and has not come out in about a week and a half. Is this molting?

He still has not emerged, would it be safe to move some of the rocks and look for him? The ammonia levels are at zero so I’m not sure if he is dead

I checked, she was not anywhere to be found. I checked everything and sifted through. Nothing. No exp-skeleton or anything. What do you think happened, I checked the skimmer and filter to see if she was sucked up but nothing. And I highly doubt she jumped out. What do you think?

You have checked all of the possibilities that I can think of. When a stomatopod decomposes usually at least the raptorial appendage dactyls are left.

Roy

Hello, long story short i believe i caused my mantis shrimp stress during the molt and it may have died.

Im starting to see a kind of white film looking thing cover its body. I want to take him out but im not sure if he is actually dead or just being super still.

Back