So you want to buy a shark? (Shark primer)

Yea, I'm skipping the Blower because of saltwater surface tension, as for the socks they just separate the waste and reuse the water from the rotary drum filter flush, which will allow me to retain water without changing salinity in the system. The bead filter will further filter the water for clarity and prevent the rotary drum filter spray nozzles from clogging again, retaining the water salinity.

Since the socks only have a small amount of water passing through them they shouldn't be a clogging concern, but I may fabricate a sieve filter instead just for reduced maintenance, I found 50 micron sieve screens.

I look at sharks and rays, even seahorses as being as messy as koi or goldfish LMAO.

Yea, I'm skipping the Blower because of saltwater surface tension.

Not sure I understand. The blower is only used during the backwash cycle and while the pumps are temporarily off. The blower tumbles and breaks up clumped media in the filter so that less water is needed to flush it.

I looked at sieve filters at one time. They were expensive but if you can create your own, it's worth a try. It does not takes much food or time to pollute 3000 gal of water when feeding sharks, but takes a while to clarify it.

Last edited:
Well, since the bead filter will be plumbed into the return, any air bubbles trapped in the filter after backwash would be a problem.

I actually have a filter in mind that clears both hurdles or tumbling the media without wasting water.

CP treatment and sharks

CP treatment and sharks

Hi might have to treat my DT with CP. Can i use CP with a epaulette shark and 3 eels in the tank? Its a large system (96by36by32) and cannot quarantine everyone. I have fish (tangs ,angels) in other tanks that ready to go back in but i am not sure i totally eradicated an Ich infestation from about 6 months ago. I have tons of rock that i can take out but it would be close to impossible to get all the sand out which could cause me problems. Thanks for your help. Tom

need to swap some sharks!

need to swap some sharks!

Alpro--I manage a small public aquarium, have a 5,000 gal shark tank with following:
2 Black tip sharks, about 3 ft long
1 grey smoothhound
1 bamboo shark
4 horn sharks

All animals are very healthy, but frankly, getting too large for the tank! I'd love to swap one or more for other compatible sharks either younger or just smaller so that all have plenty of space. Tank length is 20' x 4' deep x 6' front to back.
We are located in NE Ohio, but shipping these guys could be problematic for us, since we don't have necessary containers, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks...Barry

At 5,000 gallons - for that tank, I am assuming that you are also include the filtration system.

Still the Black tip sharks(I am also assuming these are BTRs) will definitely need a much larger tank. Honestly I would go with a pond or tank which is at least 15,000-20,000 gallons for them.

The Grey Smoothound, horns and bamboo would likely be fine in the current tank.

Australin marbled catsharks can be yours!

Australin marbled catsharks can be yours!

2 beautiful Australian marbled catsharks (Atelomycterus Macleayi) for sale in Miami Florida. Pick up only please. Atelomycterus Macleayi is a great shark that grows to maximum 24 inches so perfect for home aquarium of at least 6'. Currently they are approaching 12 inches and I've had them since they were originally 7 inches. Very hardy and love to eat silversides. You;lol really enjoy these specimens. 135/ea or 2 for 250. ( one of these days I'll learn how to post pics on this site)...but they are really nice and very healthy!

2 beautiful Australian marbled catsharks (Atelomycterus Macleayi) for sale in Miami Florida. Pick up only please. Atelomycterus Macleayi is a great shark that grows to maximum 24 inches so perfect for home aquarium of at least 6'. Currently they are approaching 12 inches and I've had them since they were originally 7 inches. Very hardy and love to eat silversides. You;lol really enjoy these specimens. 135/ea or 2 for 250. ( one of these days I'll learn how to post pics on this site)...but they are really nice and very healthy!

Interested. Sent pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to let everyone know Australian marble catsharks (Atelomycterus macleayi) are a bit rarer here in the US than the Coral catsharks are.

I purchased a baby Nurse shark from my LFS back in the early 90s and housed it in a long 40 gal tank with an underground filter( LOL) and at first it was so cool at only 6" long but you are so right... it ate me out of house & home feeding mainly on sea food i would buy at the grocers like frozen whole squid, clams, shrimp, list never ended, AND the thing got so big it sat curled up in the tank and could barely move! This was before live rock was the thing so luckily it could still wiggle about.
And keeping the water clean was a nightmare after feedings!
I was shocked on just how fast it grew..............1 yr and oh my. The best part of this shark story is that i gave it to a guy who at that time convinced the Chicago Shed aquarium to take it since it was so healthy. Today that would not happen. Probably the worst purchase mistake i ever made but it was probably the most fun one.
That was a great write up on what is involved in keeping a shark, brought back memorys :)

Last edited:
What books can I read on keeping sharks in an aquarium (blacktip and whitetip)? 🙏
didn't find anything on the internet

Back