Socal Glass or Acrylic Poll - what do you have?

Socal Glass or Acrylic Poll - what do you have?

• I have a glass aquarium

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • I have an acrylic aquarium

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • I have both - i'll explain which one i like better

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Leave me alone - it's been covered too many times

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Gooli

I know, I know, this has been covered a million times.
But, there is no poll for us local reefers specifically.

I'm wondering what socal reefers have for tanks - Glass or Acrylic? (not your sump - display tank)

I don't want to start another glass vs. acrylic debate - just want to know what people have here in Southern Cal

i've had both and i just prefer glass because it's easier to clean without worrying about scratching it all up if a grain of sand gets under the magnet. i'm not saying acrylic is bad because it has a lot of benefits. just my 2 cents.

Glass for small tanks IMO. Anything under 240g or so is best made of glass unless you are ultra careful when cleaning (which I am not). Acrylic for sumps and tanks that don't have to look pretty though. Acrylic is so much easier to work with.

The powers that be would never let me have a glass tank in earth quake country. I find it easy to remove scratches, and not that hard to avoid getting them.

I have acryclic and glass.

Acrylic is so much clearer though a magfloat can end all that.

Glass is sleeker looking, and tougher to scratch, but scratches are nearly impossible to remove.

Sam

I have both. I like glass because it's more forgiving as far as scratches, but it can be scratched by rocks, just takes a little more doing.

But for big tanks, acrylic is easier to move and deal with. Also acrylic is easier to drill than glass.

I have both and like both....though if I did it again I might opt for AGA just because of the scratching....of course the weight thing really was nice when I had to move the 90g to a new stand....much lighter, didn't hafta remove sand....hmmmmm....I don't know which I like better

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6853577#post6853577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by laverda
The powers that be would never let me have a glass tank in earth quake country. I find it easy to remove scratches, and not that hard to avoid getting them.

exactly, one rock falls on a glass tank... Goodbye tank!!!!!!

Yes. Now that I have a bigger tank (Glass) Its super heavy! Really hard to move. Plus the drilling sometimes you dont know if its tempered or not.

Acrylic u can mess with it so much more.

Back