Soft corals you can't kill in an SPS ULNS system...???

redfishsc

Does anyone have any soft corals in your ULNS system for SPS that you can't kill? I know ULNS is usually harsh to a soft coral, but I've seen some (like anthelia) that proliferate anyhow.

I'm wanting to experiment with a ULNS and using a soft coral system as a form of "reef refugium" combo. My main display is a 25g mixed, with a lot of SPS frags up top, LPS lower.

The more competition I have for what little phosphate/nitrate is produced in my tank, the better!!-- not to mention that I can enjoy some nice soft corals without killing my SPS.

Right now I dose Vitamin C and glucose, which both seem to work well. Nitrate is 0.0 (salifert) and phosphate is 0.05 or less (seachem). Soft corals grow slowly right now but nothing is in decline. LPS are the same story. Only GSP seems to grow undaunted, which is fine for me.

I have been running a ULNS for about 12-14 months now. I originally had a die off of some shrooms, but they came back. I also had a large Sarcophyton which was fine, but I traded it, I still have a small 1. And I have a bunch of shrooms still (to darn many) and I have a few Kenya Trees that I keep in the fuge for nutrient export since my Macro algae fizzled out.

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear. I have some Kenya tree already. I do have some mushrooms but not enough to even really begin any real nutrient export.

The way I see it, if I can use these as "decorative nutrient export that can also produce a dollar or two" so much the better.

It should work just fine. They may not look to happy for awhile, while they acclimate to the chemistry though.

I have a nice piece of frogspawn that seems unnaffected by zeovit, and of course some zoos... HTH :)

I have a pulsing leather that does well in my ULNS. I can also maintain some small amounts of pom-pom xenia and ofcourse the zoas.

I really wish ULNS killed discosoma shrooms. The would make the erradication of them easy.

My LPS, Softies were dying until I brought up my Potassium Levels. Now I can keep just about everything. Potassium seems to be a requirement for their tissue, and the Zeolites consume Potassium fairly rapidly.

Back