solaris = ugly tank

A.T.T.R

saw a solaris at the lfs today
and you know the ripple effect that you get with halides?
well the solaris does this alwell except its alterbnating blue and white
so..
the tank looks like some one is alternating blue and white stobe lights. the corals appear to be flashing.. any one else see one of these in personO_O

I've seen them in person, and it truely is a peculiar flashing, however it is very pleaseing in my mind. I also just love the colors of the corals that are grown under that light.

That's just my .02.

i know you can adjust teh lights. possiable they just had it set up really bad ( tank was really dim i dont see how anything could grow under those. i fiddled with it and turned hte white leds to max ( i think.. i was kinda just pushing buttons ) but still didnt see a big diff

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10214767#post10214767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by A.T.T.R
i fiddled with it and turned hte white leds to max ( i think.. i was kinda just pushing buttons ) but still didnt see a big diff

Don't mess with other people's tanks! Seriously... that would **** me off to no end...

That aside: You get better surface skimming from your overflow if you keep the surface calm... meaning your protein skimmer gets more protiens delivered to it... meaning your skimmer removes more protiens...

ive got a solaris and i have no idea what you mean by alternating white and blue strobe lights. theres got to be something wrong with their lights.

the glitter lines it forms were of two different colors crating a flashing effect in tank( from white to blue to while) the lights above are steady on..

weird, but not normal, ive seen 3 fixtures and none of them have done that, maybe they have the lights really close to the water? that would probably end up seperating the lights out a bit more ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10215144#post10215144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by A.T.T.R
its there for people to play with. and ofcourse i ask before i do it

lol... you bad boy.. shame on you...:lol: :lol: :lol:

haha, my parents are paying for my rent and my classes. so that takes a big load off. i pretty much just have a job to prove to them i appreciate all their hard work and show im not goofing off. and thats where all my money for the hobby comes from.

the solaris looking too dim to grow anything is kinda weird. i'll admit they are not nearly as bright as 250 watt halides, maybe even not 150s, but theyre an incredible jump up from my PC's and im growing SPS under them. they do not look bright when you look at the bulbs because they are very directional, but the tank shouldnt look dim.

found out a bit more
they turned down teh lights on it becuase a few corals bleached. its possiable that they only look like bleep when at low power

because i mean LOW power... my old hood on my 10 gallon with 2 15 watt incandesants made more light

had my solaris for a couple weeks now. havent seen the effect u saw. my tank couldnt be happier though. but i did go from pc to the solaris so maybe from mh to solaris is a downgrade i dont know. but my bta got bubble tips again for the first time since i bought them. i did have them under mh and they didnt do that

I agree that they do look dim. Both of the stores I've been to have had them in the 20k mode so I haven't seen enough to judge. They do however look a lot less bright than halides IMO.

I have never seen them in person, however i would like to, maybe my lfs will set one up one day and ill see it.

my LFS has one over a coral tank and it looked just slightly dimmer than MH to me. I didn't know that they could be set to different light spectrums (20K, etc.) That's cool.

can't wait until the price of these things comes down a bit. not having to deal with heat output is just awesome.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10224493#post10224493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by techreef

can't wait until the price of these things comes down a bit. not having to deal with heat output is just awesome.

And completely not relevant, as these things put out MUCH more heat per watt than MHs....

Now, the Seoul Semi LEDs used in the Aquaillumination, thats a different story.

I'm probably in error on this... but even though they may be less efficient per watt as far as producing heat... wouldn't there still be less overall heat with this setup because the wattage itself is less? For instance if normally you run 2 x 250w MH and now you're only running say a 300w LED fixture... that'd be less heat overall right?

I wish these fixtures weren't thousands of dollars... I'd like to try them out =(

Sorry I also wanted to add...
In reference to the color temp adjustability, say you normally have it set to 10k and you adjust to 20k... will the visual appearance be as significant as when going from say a 10kMH to a 20kMH? (obviously taking into consideration that not all 20kMH bulbs are created equal ;)

Back