Solve the mystery....How did he do it?

JVD BVI

So I moved my 17 gallon SPS dominant reef tank on Sunday to our new house.

There are four pieces of live rock all with attached SPS, three small peices and one large center peice.
The large rock also has lots of nooks and crannies that my one fish, a cherub angel, love's to hide in.
So the large rock is the first one I removed. I took it out gently as to not break any coral, I held it over the tank for about twenty seconds as it drains and then I put it into a bucket filled with tank water.
I turn back to the tank expecting to see my cherub angel swimming around but he's no where to be found. I proceed to remove the other three peices and drain the rest of the tank thinking.....where could he be.
I load all the buckets, tank, stand, equipment etc into my car and drive to the new house.
I set up the stand and tank then start filling it back up with water. I put the large rock in first, again draining the rock for a bit, then put in the other rocks. At this post the tank is cloudy from disturbing the sand bed, I put all the equipment back in place and let the tank settle. All the while wondering where was my cherub angel.

Sure enough a few hours later as the filters ran and the tank cleared, there he was darting in and out of the mini caves of the large rock.

So the question is, how did he do it?

We all know fish can survive out of the water, but how did he stay inside the large rock each time I moved it. My wife and I envision him inside the rock, fins extended, holding on for dear life LOL.

f978fa706406ca152e2119e5d8037bef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can wedge themselves and survive in unsubmerged rock for a while. I had a yellowtail damsel hide in a piece of live rock that was out of water for almost 10 minutes and he was fine.

I have a circus goby that lives in a rock. He is about 1.5" inches. I have owned the goby for about 2 months now. In those 2 months ive NEVER seen him come out and eat. The only glimpse ive ever seen of him is he will sometimes poke his head out. I have no clue how he is still alive or what he has been eating. Fish can do some pretty crazy things lol im glad your cherub angel survived the move tho! Was probably a wild ride for him lol

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

One time moving a tank i bought, i removed all the rock and drained the water conpletely (dug a hole in the sand in one corner of the tank and let it siphon out completely.
Guy kept saying he had a wrasse, but we never found it.
Well about 30-45 mins into scooping sand out with a dixie cup, i scoop up a wrasse. Hes still in my tank today.

I have had this happen to me many times. They hide in a deep hole they lay in so don't fall out when u remove the rock sometimes

Back