Some PCB design ideas for DIY LDD-L driver based builds

I'm just giving it a few days to see if there are any last minute ideas, and maybe a graphic, then I'll finish them out and order some. I'm also going to panelise the pro boards so that four nanos each, or two 8ups will fit to a 100mm square outline, making them quite affordable in small quantities. Buy a set, and give a few away to your friends sort of deal :)

Well, started on the LDD-H boards, started on the eight driver version, and have it mostly how I want it. Going to finesse the details a bit, and then when it's finalized I'll whittle it down to a four channel version as well.

Attachments

• LDD_H8multiSEMIFINAL.jpg
    LDD_H8multiSEMIFINAL.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi,
It has been a while since I printed my old boards, however I think that I would need an eagle file right? Can you share this?

Yup. I'll share all the files once I've declared them done, hopefully sometime this week. I'll be doing a four channel LDD-H version as well, and I'm planning one that will take a bluefish mini directly plugged to the board.

PCBs are ordered!!!

The hype is real. I ordered a set of each of the 4up and 8up LDD-L boards. Shipping gets expensive quick, so. I'll split everything else off into another order soon, once I finish the LDD-H versions.

This order: 40x EZ nano, 40x nano pro, 20x EZ8, 20x 8up pro. Cost was the same to buy singles versus buying multiples (if it fits in 100mm square, it costs the same as a 100mm square :)) so I went whole hog on them. Shipping went up of course, but this still lets the boards be nice and affordable. I'll have some available (and will post the design files) once I have them in hand and tested.

If anyone is interested in testing the LDD-L boards, let me know. I'll hand out a few to those in the US (unless anyone knows reliable and cheap international shipping methods for small PCB sized items.

Currently "finished" (more or less, assuming boards test correctly)

LDD-L 4up pro
LDD-L 8up pro
LDD-L 4up "EZ"
LDD-L8up "EZ"

Currently in-progress designs-

LDD-H 8up pro (you've all seen this one)
LDD-H 4up pro (basically just a cut-in-half 8up board, but you know, correctly. Natural evolution)
LDD-H 6up "Blue Six" board (bluefish-specific board, hopefully for direct plug-in of the Bluefish Mini controller)

Maybe in the future-

LDD-L 6up "Blue Six Mini" (with onboard PWM level conversion, and Bluefish mini plug-in support)
LDD-H 4up "EZ" (onboard DC jack and TRS jacks for input, as in the LDD-L "EZ" versions)
LDD1000-1200L/LDB-L combo board (if you aren't familiar with the LDB, it's a buck-boost driver, same style as the H-series, just with the capability of supplying higher output voltage than input voltage- handy little driver) https://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/mean-well-ldb-l-series-cc-buck-boost-mode https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=LDB-L&mws=967866571357E3D9

Back-burner designs-

LDD-L 16up board (I think stacking 8ups makes a bit more sense, I may revisit later)

Here's a link to the current versions of the boards, these are absolutely ready to use, and my recommendation on a PCB house for small orders is JLCPCB. You can panelise these when ordering, so that 4x nano or 2x pro boards will make up a single 100x100mm board, getting you 40 or 20 each. You can also order as-is to get a set of ten.

https://github.com/Lingwendil/LDD-L-driver-PCBs-for-Aquarium-LED-lighting

They should be self explanatory, but EZ= onboard jacks for input/power, and PRO= headers and screw terminals for input/power.

I also have blemish boards for sale (the 8up boards screw terminals will not fit due to the hole sizes being too small, but will work great if you directly attach wires to the PCB) details available via PM, or on the master development thread at the other site.

The Nano boards are my favorites by far- Hard to beat four channels of drivers in 50mm square! Very handy for smaller setups, refugiums, etc.

I am, just took a break for a bit, too many irons in the fire currently. I'll pick the work back up this week most likely. The 8up board is pretty much done, just going to add a few more headers to make them more versatile, then I'll chop it down to a 4up board.

Hi,
was wondering whether you are still working on the LDD-H boards? They would be greatly appreciated.

Current draft of the 8up LDD-H boards is attached. I'm pretty close to calling it done.

Attachments

• LDDHPROmulti.jpg
    LDDHPROmulti.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1
  • LDDHPROtop.jpg
    LDDHPROtop.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 2
  • LDDHPRObottom.jpg
    LDDHPRObottom.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2
yeah, actually. I already started on chopping up the board and going to start cutting in traces soon-

Attachments

• ZMqL9GRLDAU.jpg
    ZMqL9GRLDAU.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
Back