Some PCB design ideas for DIY LDD-L driver based builds

MINOR ISSUE!

The first zip of the files for the LDD700L 4 channel "pro" driver had an issue with the ground pad of the LDD v- pins- the pad was not actually connected to ground! I had to jump a wire from the pin to ground and all works fine. This has been fixed in the files posted to github. One could easily scrap a bit of soldermask off near the pin to run a bridge with solder directly to the ground plane and still be able to use the boards. Sorry Perkint, as I believe this might show up on your boards that you ordered! (assuming you did the 4up pro boards)

So the Vin -ve for the LDDs is not connected? So just needs joining onto the ground plane?

I'll have a look at the boards when I have chance. Hoping to actually get one in use, but other things keep getting in the way :(

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Tim

Yeah, sorry. Somehow on the design file the net for the pins went blank, some funky bug that happens occasionally with EasyEDA apparently.

I think you should refund the money I paid you! Oh, wait! I didn't pay you, you were good enough to share your design without charge! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, again. I'll probably get some more ordered with the correction, but I may wait until you have the 4up LDD-H design. Or I might order some more of the 4up LDD-Ls, some of JoshLawless's 6up LDD-H's and then some of your LDD-Hs when they are done :D

Tim

Been using one of the 4up LDD-Ls for a while and it's great, thanks! Definitely gonna order some corrected ones as I don't like having to frig/fix the design and it is so cheap to get them done.

Ordered some more of JoshLawless's 6up LDD-Hs as I've used them before and wanted some spares (I know not much goes wrong with them, but there is always that chance and they run the lights on my main tank).

Tim

Been using one of the 4up LDD-Ls for a while and it's great, thanks! Definitely gonna order some corrected ones as I don't like having to frig/fix the design and it is so cheap to get them done.

Ordered some more of JoshLawless's 6up LDD-Hs as I've used them before and wanted some spares (I know not much goes wrong with them, but there is always that chance and they run the lights on my main tank).

Tim

Glad you like them! I'm running a nano-pro on my dual 2.5 gallon fixture, works great after the fix :)

LDD-H designs for 4/8up are done, just need to be tested.

Attachments

• V8TphFxqCfz.jpg
    V8TphFxqCfz.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2
  • GH8bxKbQfV7.jpg
    GH8bxKbQfV7.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2
Once I finish the testing I'll likely sell some, yes :) I will also post up design files.

LDD-L is much smaller, a little cheaper, but only goes up to 700mA and 36 volts (unless you go for the higher power ones, then you may as well use the H series) they work well for conservatively designed applications like nano builds, refugiums, etc, or just general shorter strings of LEDs. If you use nice efficient LEDs like Luxeons they are very useful indeed. You can fit three of them into a footprint that's just a hair larger than a single LDD-H :)

They are slightly less efficient and can get quite warm! I know the LDD-H gets warm as well, but IME the LDD-L a little more so. Could be my imagination as they are a bit less efficient so will get warmer, but the difference is probably not enough to notice by touch.

But I always feel they are hotter. I still love them tho, just because of their size (altho being cheaper is also good!). I've just used another of these boards on a little RGBW set up on an ESP8266 for decoration/toy :)

Lingwendil - if you feel like tweaking the 4up design? An extra pair of headers alongside the the PWM headers for GND - just to make it a bit easier to tie in the ground from a controller. Not too difficult as it is, I just thought I'd suggest it in case you agreed it would be easier.

Tim

I for sure will be doing that, the plan for the first revision is to basically add a ground pin on either end of each row for them, similar to the LDD-H boards. I also will try to incorporate a 3 pin SMPS 12 volt regulator on the LDD-L boards, as they are affordable enough that it would be a handy feature on the 8up boards at least.

Initial testing shows that the LDD-H 8up board works well, but I'll give it a few days to run in before I release design files.

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_204205.jpg
    IMG_20190609_204205.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2
Cool - and (again) thanks :)

One of the things I'm doing with this little RGB set up is playing with html, JavaScript and currently websockets (may move to Ajax) which are the bits I need to get used to, to migrate the controller code onto a WiFi interface :D

I'd be doing it now, if it wasn't for the fact that the 15 year old girl is playing Fortnite on my PC instead of me being able to get at it to do some coding :(

Tim

Feature request- add a time slot feature for simple on/off control of accessories like fans, CO2, etc. A simple time on/off sort of thing would be super handy! That way the dimming channels aren't used up to do it...

Shouldn't be difficult :) I would say post in the controller thread about it tho, to make sure I don't forget.

Tim

Back