Something is eatting my fish

dkermitb

Folks,

I bought a whole bunch of chromis fish and all of them keep dwindling down now over time. I went from about 10 down to 3. Tonight I noticed that one of them had a deep cut near his caudal fin that he didn't have yesterday.

I'm wondering is the culprit is a mantis shrimp? If it is a mantis shrimp, does anyone have a fish net or something to catch this guy with? Thanks for the help.

Kermit

I put a piece of ham in a shot glass and trapped the one I had. He went in after the ham and could not climb back out.

I'm trying Tylersdad's idea. But as of tonight, I'm less one fish. The back half of him was gone, but the bones were still there.

Tylersdad,

I've heard the clicking from my mantis shrimp. I never did see him--but I heard him all the time.

Here was my quick fix, I don't have any corals in my aquarium, but I do have a large anemene. I took the rock out and placed it on my back porch for about 36 hours. I placed the rock back in my aquarium and I haven't heard the clicking since. I haven't lost any fish since then either. It was a lucky fix for my aquarium, but the idea of putting a piece of meat in the shot glass never worked. I did catch some hermit crabs, but that was about it. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Kermit

By the way, I never did find the mantis shrimp in the backyard after I placed the rocks outside for the extended period of time. I did find a small shrimp that was about the size of a quarter, but I don't think it was the culprit. I've seen mantis shrimp before in the tide pools, so I know what they look like.

Put the rock in a bucket with fresh water, he should crawl out. He probably is still in there even after an extended period of time.

It's been about three weeks. I haven't heard any more clicking, and I haven't lost any more fish. Something must have worked. Thanks for all the help to everyone!

Back