Sonny's Rimless Shallow Reef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't make sense. How would it be too shallow if the tank is longer? The height of the tank is still 20".

Like What Sonny said. the overall proportion of the tank makes it look very shallow at that length.
I've had a 22 inch high on a 40 inch long tank (custom made) which looked rather very high. Had the same 22 inch high on my current 70 inch long tank and it does look rather shallow (DSB and canopy though) with Sonny tank length I would guess the 22 would still give the shallow appearance Sonny likes but not give an overall very shallow look the 20 would give. I've researched this a lot when deciding on the coming tank dimensions and apparently a 2 thirds rule (like in photography is valid)
Tank plan looks amazing Sonny, can't wait to see it full.
How about scaping are you going with the same 2 islands look or any plans to go for something new?
Any plans for that trip to Beirut to happen in the coming months Sonny? I can promise a very nice tank tour now as there are more and more interesting tanks in the country.

Last edited:
Like What Sonny said. the overall proportion of the tank makes it look very shallow at that length.
I've had a 22 inch high on a 40 inch long tank (custom made) which looked rather very high. Had the same 22 inch high on my current 70 inch long tank and it does look rather shallow (DSB and canopy though) with Sonny tank length I would guess the 22 would still give the shallow appearance Sonny likes but not give an overall very shallow look the 20 would give. I've researched this a lot when deciding on the coming tank dimensions and apparently a 2 thirds rule (like in photography is valid)
Tank plan looks amazing Sonny, can't wait to see it full.
How about scaping are you going with the same 2 islands look or any plans to go for something new?
Any plans for that trip to Beirut to happen in the coming months Sonny? I can promise a very nice tank tour now as there are more and more interesting tanks in the country.

The golden ratio is what I am after!!! :D

The scaping wont have have the two island design. Honestly, the main reason why I sold my last rimless was that every tank now looked like mine. :p The new one will be different, and it will top the old tank in many ways.

I dont have any plans to head to Beirut, the new coral business is keeping me very busy. :) But, I may just head down there, we will see. If I do we will have a great time and I would love to meet other Lebanese reefers. Maybe I can pick up some Arak and start a new dosing tread. :lol: :lol:

Sonny

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the tank, I really appreciated it. I have put the deposit down on the tank today so its a done deal. :D

Here is what I am getting:

Custom Aquarium:
Rimless 72x36x22
Starphire front
3/4" glass all around
24" external overflow on right end panel with removable black insert.
2 holes in overflow, 1 @ 1-3/4" and 2-1/2" for 1" and 1-1/2" bulkheads.

The tank should be here in about 6 weeks. Time to build the stand!!! :D

Newrimless.jpg

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the tank, I really appreciated it. I have put the deposit down on the tank today so its a done deal. :D

Here is what I am getting:

Custom Aquarium:
Rimless 72x36x22
Starphire front
3/4" glass all around
2 holes in overflow, 1 @ 1-3/4" and 2-1/2" for 1" and 1-1/2" bulkheads.

The tank should be here in about 6 weeks. Time to build the stand!!! :D

Newrimless.jpg

Looks awesome.

Hope you have better luck then I'm having with Miracles....I placed an order on 8/31 and I'm still waiting and Derek no longer returns my emails...lol

Are you going to stick with T5's? The lighting on your last tank was just perfect. I loved the look.

I also liked the fact that there was no black background etc. I prefer having no background, and letting the white colour of the wall behind to reflect light back or if a background is a must then a blue background but the glass must be kept absolutely clean. I dont really like backgrounds to be honest.

Looks awesome.

6 weeks may be a bit optimistic though....I placed an order with Miracles on 8/31 and I'm still waiting and Derek no longer returns my emails...lol

Well, we will see. Derek has never let me down. Plus, this new tank will showcase my work and product for my new business so if should have top priority. Everyone tells me they can never get a hold of Derek, but he always answers my calls the first time. LOL, it could be that Ive sent him 200+ referrals over the years. :lol:

Are you going to stick with T5's? The lighting on your last tank was just perfect. I loved the look.

I also liked the fact that there was no black background etc. I prefer having no background, and letting the white colour of the wall behind to reflect light back or if a background is a must then a blue background but the glass must be kept absolutely clean. I dont really like backgrounds to be honest.

Hello,

I have not settled on my lighting yet. I am going to have many more acans in this tank and would like a low light area for them. I am going to keep an eye out for something, I just dont know what it is yet.

Sonny

Sunny,

My MB7 will be here this week. I have been dosing Vodka since I set up my tank about 6 months ago.

Should I continue to dose vodka and start with the high nutrient dosage of MB7? or should I stop vodka and go with the high nutrient dosage of MB7 only for a few weeks?

thanks man

Continue to dose vodka but start with the low dosage of mb7 and keep an eye on bacteria slime and any other changes.

Sunny,

My MB7 will be here this week. I have been dosing Vodka since I set up my tank about 6 months ago.

Should I continue to dose vodka and start with the high nutrient dosage of MB7? or should I stop vodka and go with the high nutrient dosage of MB7 only for a few weeks?

thanks man

hi sonny, just would like to know what to do if parts of my sand bed start turning brown like diatoms. do i decrease mb7 or add mb7? im adding 4 drops a day. ty

Maybe I can pick up some Arak and start a new dosing tread. :lol: :lol:

Sonny

wonder how Arak compares to vodka in that field. It does taste better than Vodka if that makes any difference.
Congrats on the tank. So when will you be getting it?
Any idea if yo uwill cycle the tank and then start adding your corals to it or just add your sand LR corals and fish in a one time move?

wonder how Arak compares to vodka in that field. It does taste better than Vodka if that makes any difference.
Congrats on the tank. So when will you be getting it?
Any idea if yo uwill cycle the tank and then start adding your corals to it or just add your sand LR corals and fish in a one time move?

:lol: My tank may turn milky white from the Arak.

Tank should be here in about 6 weeks. The tank really wont need to cycle as I have all of the water from the old tank in our new coral systems. The live rock in is there as well so it should be a once day thing. With all of the corals and fish coming in the tank is going to fill up very fast, I just have to fight off the urge of adding too many corals.

I cant wait to to get this tank going!

Well, we will see. Derek has never let me down. Plus, this new tank will showcase my work and product for my new business so if should have top priority. Everyone tells me they can never get a hold of Derek, but he always answers my calls the first time. LOL, it could be that Ive sent him 200+ referrals over the years. :lol:

I think you bestowed some luck to me. Getting my tank next Friday.

Thanks everyone!
I have made a couple changes to the tank, here are the updated specs:

Custom Aquarium:
Rimless 72x36x22
Starphire front and left side
3/4" glass all around
2 drains in overflow, 2-1/2" for 1-1/2" bulkheads.
1 1" return on the right panel for return

rimlesshole.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back