Sonny's Rimless Shallow Reef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15305673#post15305673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefsahoy
sunnyx, are you using phosphate remover? I seem to remember that you rely on the vodka, bacteria, and heavy skimming but I'm not 100% sure.

I use GFO after a water change and after vacuuming the sandbed. The GFO reactor is on around 5 days a month. I try to limit as much Po4 as possible. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15306239#post15306239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by elijaher
Congrats!! On split. How long you're planning on using stronium?

I think I will stick to it permanently. I have been having some good responses from the corals so far so I see no need to change anything.

I knew Id miss it. Congrats again.

I think my problem with the little floaty things is flow. Not that theres not enough, its where things are flowing. I was looking at my tank last night. I used my overflow and magnets to mount my PH's. This makes everything blow away from the overflow. Only clean water is really what goes in. Im going to fool with it tomorrow and try to make it better.

In one of your back post you said you knew a guy that ran all Blue+ you said 6 of them, is that all the guy ran in his fixture. I bet that was one blue tank, but that look might be pretty neat.

I ordered another fugi purple bulb, but instead sent me a KZ new generation which i believe is 14k, do you happen to know what the par rating is, i stuck it in right now to give it a shot, but not sure im sold on it just yet. Right now in my TX5 im running
front-kz new generation
blue plus
blue plus
aquascience 22k
aquascience duo
So im trying it to see is i like it or not, i do like the bluer look but was worried about putting 4 blue+ and one white bulb, i was worried about the growth rate going down, but i want something that keeps the color. Do you think 4 blue+ and one white would look alright.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15312364#post15312364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by volcom69
In one of your back post you said you knew a guy that ran all Blue+ you said 6 of them, is that all the guy ran in his fixture. I bet that was one blue tank, but that look might be pretty neat.

I ordered another fugi purple bulb, but instead sent me a KZ new generation which i believe is 14k, do you happen to know what the par rating is, i stuck it in right now to give it a shot, but not sure im sold on it just yet. Right now in my TX5 im running
front-kz new generation
blue plus
blue plus
aquascience 22k
aquascience duo
So im trying it to see is i like it or not, i do like the bluer look but was worried about putting 4 blue+ and one white bulb, i was worried about the growth rate going down, but i want something that keeps the color. Do you think 4 blue+ and one white would look alright.

The KZ 14K is a great bulb so if you like it I would keep it in. The lights you currently have in there should have no problem maintaining excellent color and growth.

I would place the bulbs like this:

FRONT
Blue+
kz new generation
aquascience 22k
aquascience duo
Blue+

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15305837#post15305837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
I use GFO after a water change and after vacuuming the sandbed. The GFO reactor is on around 5 days a month. I try to limit as much Po4 as possible. ;)

Why do you prefer not to run GFO only 5-days per month? This makes me wonder if I am running mine too much.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15313081#post15313081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryshark
Why do you prefer not to run GFO only 5-days per month? This makes me wonder if I am running mine too much.

My Po4 levels are low so I dont want the GFO to out compete the bacteria. Some reefers have found a balance between GFO and bacteria, you just need to keep an eye on the corals as they do NEED some[/] PO4.

If you corals are light and not growing much then you know you are running too much GFO.

Hi Sonny!

Thanks so much for all your time answering questions in this thread... I have read it all and i am ready to start MB7/Vodka dosing! I just have a few questions on how to proceed with my 180 gal. Nitrates and phosphates are undetectable, but the tank does not seem as "clean" as i think it can be :) I have some fuzz here and there on the rock and i get hard green build-up on the glass.

Here is my plan of attack!

- Week 1 and 2: 20 ml of MB7 per day (this is about half the recommended dosage for med/high nutrients. Should i do the whole dose?)

- Week 3: 19 drops per day of MB7. Start vodka dosing

How would I calculate my vodka dose if my params are undetectable? Following the instructions it seems like changes in parameters is what triggers the modification of the dose???

ok... one more question :) My tank is 72" and I have 6X80" T5. I need to stagger them to fill the whole tank because i have three pillars with sps. Do you see a problem with this? How can i achieve consistent color with 3 blue+, 3 Aquablues?

Thanks again for all your dedication and help in the hobby.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15316973#post15316973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by platax88
Hi Sonny!

Thanks so much for all your time answering questions in this thread... I have read it all and i am ready to start MB7/Vodka dosing! I just have a few questions on how to proceed with my 180 gal. Nitrates and phosphates are undetectable, but the tank does not seem as "clean" as i think it can be :) I have some fuzz here and there on the rock and i get hard green build-up on the glass.

Here is my plan of attack!

- Week 1 and 2: 20 ml of MB7 per day (this is about half the recommended dosage for med/high nutrients. Should i do the whole dose?)

- Week 3: 19 drops per day of MB7. Start vodka dosing

How would I calculate my vodka dose if my params are undetectable? Following the instructions it seems like changes in parameters is what triggers the modification of the dose???

ok... one more question :) My tank is 72" and I have 6X80" T5. I need to stagger them to fill the whole tank because i have three pillars with sps. Do you see a problem with this? How can i achieve consistent color with 3 blue+, 3 Aquablues?

Thanks again for all your dedication and help in the hobby.

I have the same 6x80 and the only way I can make mine look decent with 3 of each is to lay them out like this.....

Front
BP
AB
AB
BP
AB
BP

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15317164#post15317164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tas5tas
I have the same 6x80 and the only way I can make mine look decent with 3 of each is to lay them out like this.....

Front
BP
AB
AB
BP
AB
BP

GREAT! I will give it a shot as you suggested. Thanks!

Are you overdriving the bulbs? Mine are just the cheapo TEK retros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back