Sonny's Rimless Shallow Reef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15316973#post15316973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by platax88
Hi Sonny!

Thanks so much for all your time answering questions in this thread... I have read it all and i am ready to start MB7/Vodka dosing! I just have a few questions on how to proceed with my 180 gal. Nitrates and phosphates are undetectable, but the tank does not seem as "clean" as i think it can be :) I have some fuzz here and there on the rock and i get hard green build-up on the glass.

Here is my plan of attack!

- Week 1 and 2: 20 ml of MB7 per day (this is about half the recommended dosage for med/high nutrients. Should i do the whole dose?)

- Week 3: 19 drops per day of MB7. Start vodka dosing

How would I calculate my vodka dose if my params are undetectable? Following the instructions it seems like changes in parameters is what triggers the modification of the dose???

ok... one more question :) My tank is 72" and I have 6X80" T5. I need to stagger them to fill the whole tank because i have three pillars with sps. Do you see a problem with this? How can i achieve consistent color with 3 blue+, 3 Aquablues?

Thanks again for all your dedication and help in the hobby.

Sounds like a good plan but I would wait on the Vodka or at least dose only half of the recommend amounts. Start-up with the bacteria and keep an eye one things. Be sure to have proper aeration and a strong skimmer if you plan on dosing the full dosage of bacteria.

Lets just see how the bacteria dosing goes fist before we step into vodka.

Concerning the bulbs, place them over the corresponding corals. Red,pinks, and green look best under the AB's, while Blue and purple look best under B+.

Overdriving with 2 IC-660's and the new Reef Geek/Aqua Illumination reflectors. Will be adding 1 more bulb in the near future and it will either be another Aquablue Special or GE 6500k. I need a little help spectrum wise with my purple caps.

For anyone who sent me out a PM and has not been responded back to please PM me again. My inbox was full again last night and I accidentally deleted ALL my messages.

Thanks!

Sonny.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15317226#post15317226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
Sounds like a good plan but I would wait on the Vodka or at least dose only half of the recommend amounts. Start-up with the bacteria and keep an eye one things. Be sure to have proper aeration and a strong skimmer if you plan on dosing the full dosage of bacteria.

Lets just see how the bacteria dosing goes fist before we step into vodka.

Concerning the bulbs, place them over the corresponding corals. Red,pinks, and green look best under the AB's, while Blue and purple look best under B+.

Sounds like a plan! I will forget about Vodka for now and see if bacteria is enough

Do you think i am OK for week 1 and 2 at half the dose for med/high nutrient levels (20ml) or shoudl i dose 100%.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15317342#post15317342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by platax88
Sounds like a plan! I will forget about Vodka for now and see if bacteria is enough

Do you think i am OK for week 1 and 2 at half the dose for med/high nutrient levels (20ml) or should i dose 100%.

If you have the proper water moment and skimmer than I would go with the full dosage. Put in half for the first 3 days and then if everything goes well go with the full the remainder of the two weeks.

I am running a 6 bulb 2 aquascience 22k ,2 blue+ ,and 2 aquablue specials. Not too blue. Nice crisp white. I tried the fiji purple in place of a b+. Thought it was to overwhelming. I have tried almost all the popular t5 bulbs on the market and these two bulbs in a combo really are one of the best in my opinion. Now if I had 8 bulbs I might throw it back in the mix. But a uvl actinic white, or a 75.25 might be better as they have a pink hue as well as the mix colors from the 420nM range in them. So if you want to add a hint of pink that would be a better way to go I think with 4 and 6 bulb setups. I dont run any of the super actinic bulbs because of their lower par. I have tried both the uvl super actinic and the giesmann actinic. The uvl is brighter than the giesmann and has more pop. But not as much as the ATI b+ and aquascience 22k. in my opinion.

Sorry sonney dont want to post a ton on your thread just trying to be helpful. I am still dosing mb7. After some further investigation I think it was a mixture of things that I had going on that cause the loss of fish. First no skimmer, added MB7 and AA. and then a OD of potassium at once. So I just regrouped and am still just dosing mb7 probably for another week or two.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15317360#post15317360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
If you have the proper water moment and skimmer than I would go with the full dosage. Put in half for the first 3 days and then if everything goes well go with the full the remainder of the two weeks.

Thanks! I have more than adequate flow and skimming so i would do as you suggested. Will keep you posted :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15318186#post15318186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agsansoo
SunnyX, Do you use any zeovit stones passively or in a reactor ?

Sorry, but I dont use Zeovit stones. But, if I did it would be in a ZEO reactor such as the Vertex model.

Hi SunnyX - love the thread and thanks so much for answering everyone's questions!

I have a question too. How do you measure your phosphate and what does it usually run? I understand that you use a number of stratagies to reduce phosphate: (1) vodka and MB7, (2) GFO reactor in fresh saltwater for water changes, (3) GFO reactor in sump intermittently

Do you use any other strategies? Thanks in advance!

jennmac415, no pics just yet i wanted to see how i like it so far. Im starting to get used to the KZ new generation look. I new nothing about this bulb, i actully ordered the fugi purple to replace my other fugi, and they sent me a new generation bulb instead, so i thought i would just try it. So im going to give it alittle to see what happens, i just did a total bulb change after about 6 1/2 months on my other bulbs. I will try to get a pic soon once i see if i wanna stay, i can pm you the pic then.

Hi Sonny

Just read all the thread, I scrolled a couple of time looking at picture and reading some part but today I read practically everything. A really good source of information :)

I want to ask you how did you setup up your frag tank, I saw a beautiful ATI fixture but no picture :( lol Is it possible for you to take some picture of your frag tank ? :)

Thank you and keep up on the good work, your tank is really an inspiration !

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15319906#post15319906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agsansoo
Any reasons to why you don't use zeovit stone ?

Well, I dont run the Zeovit system so I dont need the added cost of a reactor and stones. I have always wanted to try out Zeovit but considering how well my system is doing I feel the added costs would be wasteful.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15320140#post15320140 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MO Will
Hi SunnyX - love the thread and thanks so much for answering everyone's questions!

I have a question too. How do you measure your phosphate and what does it usually run? I understand that you use a number of stratagies to reduce phosphate: (1) vodka and MB7, (2) GFO reactor in fresh saltwater for water changes, (3) GFO reactor in sump intermittently

Do you use any other strategies? Thanks in advance!

I have not tested my water for PO4 in a while so I am unsure of how low it actually is. I have no algae and my systems have always been clean so I assume that the Po4 is low. I really should test more often but I dont.

The only other advice I could give concerning the control of PO4 is dont feed your fish too much. Fish can live on much less food then you think. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15321620#post15321620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by the_rider
Hi Sonny

Just read all the thread, I scrolled a couple of time looking at picture and reading some part but today I read practically everything. A really good source of information :)

I want to ask you how did you setup up your frag tank, I saw a beautiful ATI fixture but no picture :( lol Is it possible for you to take some picture of your frag tank ? :)

Thank you and keep up on the good work, your tank is really an inspiration !

Hello and thank you! :D

I never ended up getting the ATI fixture as I purchased an MH fixture at a price I couldn't pass up. I will see if I can get some photos of the 30gl rimless soon.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15322069#post15322069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by H2Ojunkie
Hey sunny, how high are your lights off the water?

3" off of the rim of the tank.

Sonny, your tank has been such an inspiration that I had to upgrade.

Just picked up a Lee Mar rimless starphire (48Lx30Wx20H) over this holiday weekend. I still need to get the stand and ATI PM before setting it up but I'm quite excited. :D Hopefully I can get it fired up in a the next month or so.

Thanks for the wealth of info and the support to the RC community.

Soon to be:

Shallow Reef Club
Rimless Aquarium Club
All T5 Club
All Vortech Club
ATB Skimmer Club

Im siked!!! After reading this thread i decided to start dosing MB7. I have been dosing vodka for a couple months but my nitrates were still around 20ppm. So after 1 week of dosing MB7 my nitrates are cut in half, 10ppm. Im sure they will be undetectable in another week. Im very excited because i have been keeping SPS for a while but could never get it to grow. I have frags that i bought over a year ago that are still the same size as when i bought them.lol. This thread has been great, lots of good info. I also took the fuge out of my sump and placed a powerhead (Korolia 3) in there to keep detris suspended.Thanks for the tips!!! Hopefully my SPS starts growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back