Sonny's Rimless Shallow Reef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you. :D

I had a hard time when I did my first test on the unit but then I figured out the problem. It all boiled down to me holding down a button to activate the 3 minute countdown. Once the countdown was complete I placed the vial back in the machine and got the reading. If you have any issues let me know.

SONNY

Thanks Sunny,

I just got mine and have done a few test runs on it... In each case I got this result, a flashing 0.00 (which is an error code for under range according to the included instructions) and then a solid 0.00? I repeated the test 4 times and same result each time? Was this at all similar to what you experienced?

I followed the instructions to the letter but can't help scratching my head on this one.

Let me know when you can...

Thx

The big one is supposed to be more accurate. My friend has the larger version and I will be taking a sample of water over to him to see what difference in measurements.

Here's a good article that someone forwarded me recently. It compares the older more expensive one the the new smaller less expensive one, hope it's ok to share here?

http://************.com/2010/04/20/...s-still-worth-the-resolution-and-portability/

The big one is supposed to be more accurate. My friend has the larger version and I will be taking a sample of water over to him to see what difference in measurements.

according to hana they have the same acuracy spec of 0.04. I have tested against the large one once already and got 0.01 variance on a concentration of 0.22 - 0.23 but the water temp was different, i need to do more verification and will be doing mutliple tests at the same time to get accurate comparisons at 25-26C 9optimun tesmp). i plan on testing P04 levels of

will be doing it in the next week so can post results on here to save you doing it yourself.

Sonny,

Everything looks great! I'm really looking forward to seeing your frag tank set up. I actually just got an ati 6 bulb fixture and I'm wondering what order you would put 4 blue plus, 1 aquablue and 1 fiji purple? Do you think that this will be close to 20k?

thanks.

Hey Sonny, Awesome tank......you're a true innovator. Thanks for taking the time and responding to all the questions...I bet it can get repetitive after a while...you're a good sport...Can you pm me with a quote that miracles gave you for the 48x24x20h and with T5 lighting, Would you go any taller with the dimentions? I'm thinking of going 48x30x24h. What do you think? Thanks
Joe B.

Thanks Sunny,

I just got mine and have done a few test runs on it... In each case I got this result, a flashing 0.00 (which is an error code for under range according to the included instructions) and then a solid 0.00? I repeated the test 4 times and same result each time? Was this at all similar to what you experienced?

I followed the instructions to the letter but can't help scratching my head on this one.

Let me know when you can...

Thx

Here's a good article that someone forwarded me recently. It compares the older more expensive one the the new smaller less expensive one, hope it's ok to share here?

http://************.com/2010/04/20/...s-still-worth-the-resolution-and-portability/

Did you hold down the button after placing in the reagent, starting the 3 minute countdown?

Tank looks great Sonny!

Thanks! Hope to see you at MMC soon.

Sunny or whomever might know. Where did you get the hanna meter?
Thanks

Any of the sponsors will have it. Check out http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/ or www.Premiumaquatics.com

according to hana they have the same acuracy spec of 0.04. I have tested against the large one once already and got 0.01 variance on a concentration of 0.22 - 0.23 but the water temp was different, i need to do more verification and will be doing mutliple tests at the same time to get accurate comparisons at 25-26C 9optimun tesmp). i plan on testing P04 levels of

will be doing it in the next week so can post results on here to save you doing it yourself.

Awesome. Please let me know what you find.

Sonny,

Everything looks great! I'm really looking forward to seeing your frag tank set up. I actually just got an ati 6 bulb fixture and I'm wondering what order you would put 4 blue plus, 1 aquablue and 1 fiji purple? Do you think that this will be close to 20k?

thanks.

Hello and thank you. :D

Here is how I would place the bulbs:

FRONT
Ati Blue+
KZ Fiji Purple
ATi Blue+
Ati Blue+
Ati Aquablue Special
Ati Blue+

Hey Sonny, Awesome tank......you're a true innovator. Thanks for taking the time and responding to all the questions...I bet it can get repetitive after a while...you're a good sport...Can you pm me with a quote that miracles gave you for the 48x24x20h and with T5 lighting, Would you go any taller with the dimentions? I'm thinking of going 48x30x24h. What do you think? Thanks
Joe B.

Hello,

The tank was about $950 after taxes and such. I picked up the tank myself from Toronto so it saved on shipping but I still had to pay about $150 in provincial taxes. The Aquactinic Constellation was about $650 plus another $160 for bulbs. I don't think you will be able to find a Constellation so your best bet is an ATI fixture.

I love the dimensions on my tank and would not go taller. My next setup will also only be 20" high.

Sonny said: "With red slime remover you will need to turn your skimmer off. If you leave the skimmer on it will overflow for days on end. You will want to remove all carbon, GFO, and any other chemical filtration. I suggest you also use an aquarium air pump and drop the line into your sump for proper O2 levels. I would dose the full amount recommended on the bottle as you can run the risk of making the red slime immune to the remover by running a small dose.

How much red slime are we talking about?"

Some days quite a bit, I have not quite figured out what feeds it. I did a 1/4 dose, useless! I missed your post and did not think of immunity. I just did a major rework of tank a month ago. PO4 is zero on D&D and NO3 is ~5-10 with Elos and zero with API. I dosed some AA because some of my LPS looked like crap. THat seemed to help the cyno and LPS.

Fun stuff, thanks for the support.:fish2:

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0225-1.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0236-2.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0239-2.jpg

u be far have the nicest reef on RC. Def my fav:thumbsup:

Still loving the tank Sonny! Those acans are gorgeous! :thumbsup:

I am really contemplating starting this tank over.

If you were to start the tank over again, what would be your plan? Same corals? Different aquascape? Any equipment changes? Once again, as always, amAzing tank!

Once again, Sunny, VERY NICE!!!! :)

Can you give us a little info on your photography techniques? Camera, lens, settings, etc...do you do much editing in photoshop?

Thanks....

Any by the way, your tank has truly been an inspiration to mine...Its only a couple months old, but its on its way :)

Picture028.jpg

Sonny,

Some of the corals are starting to look a little light (wish mine looked that good ;) ) like the green bird nest. You think the vodka is working a little too well?

blk94rs,

that is looking good!

Hi Sonny.

Very beautiful tank and picture as always~
:thumbsup:

I have a question.

If I have a green film on glass.
That means the sign of carbon source overdosing?

Hey Sunny, tank is looking amazing. The colors are just awesome. What sps is this one? I picked up one very similar a few months back but have no clue what it is called.

DSC_0239-2.jpg

Hey Sunny, tank is looking amazing. The colors are just awesome. What sps is this one? I picked up one very similar a few months back but have no clue what it is called.

DSC_0239-2.jpg

That is a bleached out GARF Purple Bonsai. I changed the bulbs a little to fast and some corals lightened up. When it is at its normal color it is a nice purple with green polyps.

bro,
you truly blow me away with your pics! :S

Happy Reefing,
Marc J.

Thanks! :D

Sonny said: "With red slime remover you will need to turn your skimmer off. If you leave the skimmer on it will overflow for days on end. You will want to remove all carbon, GFO, and any other chemical filtration. I suggest you also use an aquarium air pump and drop the line into your sump for proper O2 levels. I would dose the full amount recommended on the bottle as you can run the risk of making the red slime immune to the remover by running a small dose.

How much red slime are we talking about?"

Some days quite a bit, I have not quite figured out what feeds it. I did a 1/4 dose, useless! I missed your post and did not think of immunity. I just did a major rework of tank a month ago. PO4 is zero on D&D and NO3 is ~5-10 with Elos and zero with API. I dosed some AA because some of my LPS looked like crap. THat seemed to help the cyno and LPS.

Fun stuff, thanks for the support.:fish2:

Good luck with the slime. Try and siphon out as much as you can.

u be far have the nicest reef on RC. Def my fav:thumbsup:

Thank you! :)

Still loving the tank Sonny! Those acans are gorgeous! :thumbsup:

If you were to start the tank over again, what would be your plan? Same corals? Different aquascape? Any equipment changes? Once again, as always, amAzing tank!

Thanks. I wouldnt change the equipment I currently have. I am probably just gonna move some things around and take out a few of the larger corals.

UNBELIEVABLE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The colors are just so mesmerizing. Beautiful acans. Nice job Sonny!!!

Thanks!

Once again, Sunny, VERY NICE!!!! :)

Can you give us a little info on your photography techniques? Camera, lens, settings, etc...do you do much editing in photoshop?

Thanks....

Any by the way, your tank has truly been an inspiration to mine...Its only a couple months old, but its on its way :)

Picture028.jpg

It looks like your tank is off to a great start! :thumbsup: As for the camera I use a Nikon D50 SLR with a standard 18-55mm lens and photobox. I use Photoshop to sharpen and adjust the color in the pictures, although some of the colors in the pictures just don't turn out right.

Sonny,

Some of the corals are starting to look a little light (wish mine looked that good ;) ) like the green bird nest. You think the vodka is working a little too well?

blk94rs,

that is looking good!

I just changed my bulbs a couple weeks ago and did it a little too fast. Some of the corals lighted up from the shock of new bulbs but the acan have always been light. But even though the acans are light they are very healthy and are always super inflated. :D

Hi Sonny.

Very beautiful tank and picture as always~
:thumbsup:

I have a question.

If I have a green film on glass.
That means the sign of carbon source overdosing?

I don't think green film necessarily means that you have overdosed on a carbon source. When I overdose on a carbon source I get an excess of white bacterial slime in the tank. If I overdose for a long period of time red slime starts to creep in.

Are all of your parameters in line and at the correct levels?

I'm still subscribed to this thread, but haven't been following it too closely lately. I'm battling some hair algae right now that's driving me crazy. I stopped dosing everything. I don't know where this is coming from. I've changed my DI cartridges, was dosing MB7 and BioFuel and I can't shake this stuff. Corals still look good though. I resorted to dosing Fauna Marine Ultra AlgeaX to try and beat it. I'm running out of ideas.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back