sounded like a good idea

FrigginMorons.gif

I agree, that has to be the dummest idea I've ever heard of. We can't burn the things because they are toxic, so lets stick them in the ocean? WOW

Well...in 1972, there was no info to indicate this would be a disaster 30 years later. Had it worked they would be considered geniuses. The oceanic ecosystem is self correcting, so little damage was done in the grand scheme of things. By embarking on this debacle, they at the very least learned from the experience. There is far worse pollution going into lagoonal regions, and reefs than tires off the coast of Florida on sandy flats.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9280544#post9280544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by COreefer
Well...in 1972, there was no info to indicate this would be a disaster 30 years later. Had it worked they would be considered geniuses. The oceanic ecosystem is self correcting, so little damage was done in the grand scheme of things. By embarking on this debacle, they at the very least learned from the experience. There is far worse pollution going into lagoonal regions, and reefs than tires off the coast of Florida on sandy flats.

If hurricanes reshape the coastline, they didn't even think that steel cables would corrode and break? C'mon, ship anchors break and they cast adrift.

No...they didn't think the tires would lie barren 30 years later without ecological growth around them.

In 1972 we were still using leaded gasoline...environmental consciousness, didn't begin to prevail until the 1990's.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9281134#post9281134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by calvin415
I guess common sense has really come a long way!!! :)

I think the same will be said 30 years from now..."I can't believe those people put all of that carbon into the atmosphere with their combustable engines".

What if they would have soaked the tires in concrete??? Or some kind of resin?? Man I am sure there have been thousand of real deal Great Ideas better then putting tires in the ocean. I know it kills two birds with one stone, but come on. Would have had some growth then. I would like to sit in on one of these type of meetings and here what the leaders actually say.

We are not chinese Eric. Bicycles suck. lol What is the realistic alternative to the combustion engine?? Steam would be cool. Of course the future holds Hydrogen fuel. That doesn't sound so bright ot me either though. Wasn't a couple Japanese cities leveled with some technology like that??

The same can be said about the tires...they didn't know what the environmental consequence would be. It's all hindsight man...that's all I'm saying. Common sense grows with civilization...we can look back at many things and say "those folks lacked common sense", well at that time the sense wasn't so common...

Like the Hindenberg. Hydrogen gas great idea. lol Would have been cool if the tire idea would have worked and not been so destructive.

Actually the Germans knew that Hydrogen was a dangerous gas. America had most of the worlds supply of Helium and wasn't willing to sell any for the German propaganda machines.

I worked for an environmental engineering firm in Connecticut and there was a 29-acre pond completely filled with tires. What a mess, legally and environmentally. When I worked there, we were drawing up the cleanup plans, but what a total nightmare.

We need to find another way to dispose of tires....

I wish I could smuggle some of the aerial photographs. It was amazing to see the tires all stacked and floating in the pond. Amazing in a bad way.

Back