Space for equipment and Siphon use

Austinswill

Hello everyone. I am about 2 years into the hobby. I tried years ago with disastrous results, but tried again and this time things have gone pretty good.

This is sort of a 2 part post, the two parts are however vaguely related.

What I am here to ask about is SPACE for equipment.

I have a 140 gallon mixed reef with a sump.

In the sump:
Main pump
protein skimmer
Bio ball reactor
Roller filter
small pump for automatic water changes
2 heaters.

Also, in the sump area (below the tank) there is.

2 drivers for Echotech lights
3 drivers for Vortechs and vectra pump and their power supplies
1 Fan for cooling
1 Refugium light
Calcium reactor and secondary chamber and all controllers/power supplies
Controller for Bio reactor
Automatic water change controller
Temperature controller
and a few other odds and ends like power strips and power monitors test kits ECT.

Now to get even more stupid... My tank sits against a wall and behind that wall is a utility closet. It contains:

Co2 tank for cal reactor
2 55 gallon containers, 1 for New salt water and one for RODI water.
Controller for NSW mixing pump
Custom Battery backup system for the vortechs and vectra
Wifi bridge for Echotech equipment
Dosing pump

Ok, not to mention the absolute nightmare for cable management, as you can see this is a LOT of stuff, and I am probably forgetting something.

I am at the point now that I am out of room and power outlets... but of course, I am still wanting to experiment with more equipment, primarily a UV sterilizer.

I cant be the only person that is out of room... What do you guys do? I can possibly run more stuff through the wall into the utility closet, but I really don't want any tank water flowing around in there or a possibility of a flood.

SIPHON USAGE.

With my lack of space, AND with a mind to keeping pumps to a min to reduce heating of the tank, I have been playing with using a siphon to my advantage.

I do this with my carbon canister. When I run carbon, I put the canister on top of the tank lid. One hose goes into the Main tank about 1 inch below the waterline. The other runs down into the sump. I start a siphon and let gravity do the work. There is a risk when using a siphon that if the power goes out, the siphon will continue to work, this is why it is important to make certain that the suction side of the siphon is not so far below the waterline that if power fails, the sump will overfill.

I also think siphons could be used in many applications that dont require a pump. Such as an algae reactor, or other canister application. It is even a viable option for some applications that require pumps, so long as the pump is only for flow and not aeration.

I am thinking I could utilize a siphon method for a UV sterilizer. this one caught my eye https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/15-w...lizer-with-hanger-spout-aqua-ultraviolet.html

What I am wondering is if I couldnt make the water flow the "wrong way" In other words, the unit hangs on the tank and sucks water UP through what was the outlet. I could design and 3d print an intake nozzle to set the correct height and prevent sucking air. Then on what was the inlet, have the water siphon down to the sump with a valve to control flow. But I am not certain if the flow direction matters as far as actually sterilizing the water.

Anyhow, any thoughts?

I have all my electrical on a board mounted to the wall next to the tank. In fact they now make units especially for that.
Most UV units can be turned upside down to acomodate what you want to do.

Back