Special Blend + Nite-Out II for the start - how to dose them?

I think we are close to talking about the same thing here, but we are all misinterpreting eachother.

We aren't saying those bottled bacteria products don't work. Some of them do, and do work well. However, we don't know about this specific product you have asked about.

What we DO know to work every single time, is to allow the rock/tank to cycle by natural means. This means adding ammonia whether via a pure source, like from a bottle...or by letting a piece of shrimp or other seafood meat decompose for some time in the tank. Bacteria will grow and multiply rapidly in this ammonia-rich environment, and will establish the base of the nitrogen-cycle in your tank. This process takes longer, but is a "tried and true" method with very little possibility for error.

This is heavily recommended over the bottled products for a few different reasons:

- We don't know what else is in that bottle
- A lot of times, people who use those products are often looking for a "shortcut" to getting a tank up and running, and end up putting fish and other animals at risk because the cycle doesn't complete, despite the claims of the product.
- The natural cycling method is slower, and is a good lesson for those with new tanks to be patient and allow nature to take its course. It's a universal lesson when it comes to reef tanks. If this is your first tank, I would take this as the most important part of what all of these people are trying to tell you.

All of that being said, you came to this thread and forum with a combative attitude. What did you expect to happen? These folks are always here to help, first and foremost, and would not lead you astray or be difficult just to do so. The things they suggest are for good reason. We would love you to stay on the forum, but you need to be able to accept criticism and suggestions a lot better than you have in this thread.

Best of luck. The tank looks very nice, and I hope things go well for you.

Back