SPS PREADATORS Red bugs, AEFW's ,Monti nudis and Sea spiders. Pictures Inside

yeah one large pill os god for 380g I read on eric's site everyone I talked to have done it in there full system. I just started my treatment just 5 minutes ago heres how I was told to do it by 4 diffrent guys in my reef club
1. shut down skimmer
2. take off any carbon po4 removers out of system
3. take out all shrimp and crabs I do not know about clams
4. Add dosage to system and wait 7 hours
5. after 3-4 hours you will start really noticing any RB dieing off
6. atfer 7th hour do WC
7. After WC add carbon back to system

I was told that you can do it either way in 3 diffrent times or on e big doseage. # out of the 4 did it in one shot with a higher dosage. Im doing 1/2 pill then 20g WC after the 7 hours and then adding 2 cups oof carbon for 48 hours. If I notice anymore ill do it again

HTH

better shot
redbugs2.jpg

see mine look nothing like them. I did the treatment and saw nothing at all I dont think they were bugs

Has anyone had real success treating the whole tank?

I treated my display only the first time and cut off my fuge. Didn't see a bug for a week and then I started to see them all over. My second dose was the whole system, its been 8 days (18 since first dose) and I haven't seen any yet. I would do what the instructions say and treat everything from skimmer water to plumbing water, miss nothing.

RED BUG Treatment Link

RED BUG Treatment Link

Here is a link to the original post from Dustin Dorton (ORA) with the treatment protocol for red bugs.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

If you have red bugs you should do a whole system treatment. Do not remove any equipment since this may leave some rbs. I have done the treatment on my 500 gallon system 3 times a while back and never had them return. Many others have succesfully treated their tanks as well for red bugs with minimal if any losses (mostly pods and sometimes shrimp)

I only lost pods, but shrimp and other crustaceans may be affected. You do not have to remove anything other than crustaceans, and even those can be left in if you run lots of carbon after the treatment and do several large water changes.

For future corals you should use the same treatment protocol but outside your system, in a 5 gallon bucket for instance, then place all corals in QT before putting them into your system. You may also want to treat for AWFWS since these are far worse than the RBS and there is not a whole system treatment for them yet.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8799667#post8799667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PITSTOP
I'm tempted to do a WHOLE TANK INTERCEPTOR TREATMENT!

Should I NOT do this!?

Has anyone had real success treating the whole tank?

Or, should I take the time to do a quarantine approach?

My issue is that I have little bits of acro growing all over the LR from touching frags, etc. - I am afraid that the bugs will have little safety zones to hang out in while the coral colonies are out of the reef.

> I have 2 shrimp and 2 trapeziid crabs - I will remove them from the reef

> I have 1 tiger tail cucumber - I will remove it from the reef

> I have 1 crocea clam - Not sure if I have to remove this or not...

> Zero hermit crabs...

Opinions please!

hey easttn what are those you have pictured?? I've been having a problem with those in my tank. They aren't killing anything, but they seem to like to hang out on my mushrooms and all over the glass. They seem to be some kind of flatworm. Does anyone know what this is????

QUESTION.....I HAD TWO ACROS IN A NEWLY CYCLED TANK...HOWEVER THEY BLEACHED..COULD THIS BE BECAUSE OF WATER TEMP FLUCTUATIONS??
I HAVENT CONNECTED MY CHILLER YET BECAUSE MY WATER IS 79 DEG. AT NIGHT AND 82 DURING THE DAY WITH 3 X 400 WATT MH LAMPS ON...IS THIS FLUCTUATION BAD??...I JUST WANNA GROW NICE STONIES...GRRRRR,.FRUSTRATING..
BTW MY TANK HAS ONLY BEEN RUNNING FOR 5 MONTHS....SHOULD I WAIT LONGER BEFORE PUTTING IN ACROS????

You should start a new thread with these questions, as they don't pertain to this topic.

And FYI, typing in all capitals implies you are shouting at us. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8833289#post8833289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THEKIDSTA1
QUESTION.....I HAD TWO ACROS IN A NEWLY CYCLED TANK...HOWEVER THEY BLEACHED..COULD THIS BE BECAUSE OF WATER TEMP FLUCTUATIONS??
I HAVENT CONNECTED MY CHILLER YET BECAUSE MY WATER IS 79 DEG. AT NIGHT AND 82 DURING THE DAY WITH 3 X 400 WATT MH LAMPS ON...IS THIS FLUCTUATION BAD??...I JUST WANNA GROW NICE STONIES...GRRRRR,.FRUSTRATING..
BTW MY TANK HAS ONLY BEEN RUNNING FOR 5 MONTHS....SHOULD I WAIT LONGER BEFORE PUTTING IN ACROS????

Hmmm newly cycled tank=coral bleach. You already have your answer. It's not stable yet to keep acropora may be you should try montipora or stylopora first and wait a little bit more before you add them.

Anthony

Here is another pic of a Montipora Eating Nudibranch

nudi.jpg

And here is a pic of their eggs.

nudi_eggs.jpg

They like to lay them on the underside of the coral. I have found dipping does nothing to the eggs. I have been breaking off the areas with eggs and trashing it. I have also ordered and received a large mouth Wrasse (a two-spot not twin-spot) that will supposedly eat the nudis. I have seen some success with vigilence. You must hunt after the lights have been out for awhile. Thank God I don't have red bugs or AEFW!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8796503#post8796503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PITSTOP
>

> Can I pour in 5 gallons of gasoline and torch the reef?

Pass the lighter!

I put a whole lot of care and $ into my system and tonight, less than a year later, i find red flatworms (not AEFW). Then... i find a happy colony of monti eating nudies while using the turkey blaster. They have taken up residence under a monti and when i shot water under it to blast out crud a puff of nudis blew up into the water, then the currents took over.... I sucked out a few of them, but i have 5 different montis, several acros, stylo, 2 pocila and to be quite honest, i feel like getting sick on the keyboard thinking about what i discovered tonight.

Now im reading about the redbugs and aefw and they are tough to see in some macro shots, really makes me wonder what else im going to find when the lights come on in the morning.

gkarshens,

Any luck with that wrasse? I've just recently found some of the monti nudibranch's in my tank. and since my montis are pretty much the "glue" holding my LR in place, Im eager to find an in tank remedy...
lesson learned, hopefully not too late, QT everything.

It is too early to say. I have been very proactive in trying to remove ever Nudi I see and get rid of any coral area with eggs attached. I haven't seen a Nudi in about a week so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

As far as the monti eating nudis are the eggs only on the dead parts of the monti like in that last picture ? I ask because I just found a nudi on my superman and got him off cliped the dead parts off and checked it and my 4 other montis with a magnifying glass and did not see anything else on them what do you think I should do aso for a precautionary proceedure

I have only seen them on the dead part of the coral. They have also only been on the underside of the coral. That doesn't mean they don't do other things that has just been my experience. If it is possible to remove your Montis I would do a strong dip with Lugols or Tropic Marin Coral Cure.

THANKS TO THIS THREAD I LOOKED AT AN ACRO THAT WASNT DOING TO HOT...TO MY SURPRISE I HAD A TEDDY BEAR CRAB...FURRY LITTLE MONSTER...I REMOVED HIM AND HAD THE PLEASURE TO END HIS MISERABLE LIFE...THE ACRO ISNT COMPLETELY DEAD...THINK ILL REMOVE THE DEAD BRANCHES AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS....

Back