SPS PREADATORS Red bugs, AEFW's ,Monti nudis and Sea spiders. Pictures Inside

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8833337#post8833337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
You should start a new thread with these questions, as they don't pertain to this topic.

And FYI, typing in all capitals implies you are shouting at us. ;)

FIRST OF ALL THIS IS THE WAY I TYPE AND WONT CHANGE NOW...SECOND I THOUGHT I WAS IN THE ACRO/SPS FORUM...SO I DO THINK MY QUESTIONS APPLY...

BUT SOMEONE ALWAYS HAS TO HAVE AN OPPINION...

"LIGHT IS FASTER THAN SOUND, SOMETIMES A PERSON MAY SEEM BRIGHT UNTILL THEY OPEN THEIR MOUTH..AND SPEAK"

You may not like my opinion, but you could take note that 99% of the posts on Reef Central are not in all caps for a reason. I was just bringing you up to speed, not trying to aggravate you.

Your questions don't pertain to the topic of this thread (pests), which is why I suggested you start a new thread where it can be answered in full.

Here's your original question:
Question.....I had two acros in a newly cycled tank...However they bleached..Could this be because of water temp fluctuations??
I havent connected my chiller yet because my water is 79 deg. At night and 82 during the day with 3 x 400 watt mh lamps on...Is this fluctuation bad??...I just wanna grow nice stonies...Grrrrr,.Frustrating..
Btw my tank has only been running for 5 months....Should i wait longer before putting in acros????

Acropora require stability and if your tank is newly cycled, water parameters tend to be all over the place. It can take up to 9 months for a tank to level out so that SPS will thrive. The temperature swing you listed of 79 to 82F isn't that bad, but if you can get your chiller to lessen that swing, it will help. If you can't do that yet, installing fans to blow across the top of the tank while the MH are lit will help reduce the rise in water temperature.

There are other factors as well, such as if you use RO/DI water vs tap water, what the alkalinity, calcium and magnesium levels are, what the salinity is and if you top off daily, etc... High nitrates can be a problem, as well as high phosphate levels. It could be allepathy from other corals stinging these, or fish nipping at them due to be incompatible together. Your lighting period could be too long. The corals might not be acclimated to the 400w bulbs you have, or are too close to the bulbs. The bulbs could be too close to the water surface as well, etc, etc, etc...

I did a google search to help convert all caps if your keyboard is broken. ;)
http://www.convertcase.net/

Well look what I found on a frag I bought from one of my LFS stores!

picture-31.jpg

And after a little iodine (Lugols)

picture-32.jpg

Not so tough now acro eater!!Bah!

Will the AEFW's live on any LPS(trumpet, frogspawn, ect) or rock if a tank is vacant of SPS for a 5 weeks?
Could they live on a dead brach of SPS behind the rock or must they have a living SPS to survive?

I'm the Only one who gets to shout on this Board Mister!

;)

Lighten up Kidsta, Marc is just pointing out that typing in Caps is considered impolite on any discussion board. Now it may be you are typing on an old terminal at work or something that only generates capitals. If not, then learn to use the Shift.

Sorry for the interrupt folks.

just before i left for work tonight i spotted a monti nudi on my superman...then once i looked closer i found about 10 of them hiding in a coral no bigger than a golf ball.

needless to say i was almost late to work, and have a hacked up superman now completely devoid of nudis and eggs.

i didnt get to take any photos, but i saved the "infected" pieces and and will take some pics tomorrow. Im also tempted to do a lil experiment on the eggs.

any suggestions?

Hello all.. I have a bunch of tiny purple flat nudi on my monti. but it seems like i'ts not harming my monti.. they have been there for awhile, because i thought it was coraline algae forming (weird).. so for months the nudi has been living in my montiporas, and still no sign of bleaching..

Montiporas are growing and living normally.... are these nudis i need to worry about?

If your corals are healthy, I wouldn't be quick to make changes. However, keep a close eye on them. Ideally, you should post a good picture of them so we can confirm those suspicions.

Here you go.. the purple spots are the nudis.. this is the closest i can zoom in, i hope it's enough to be identify.

monti2.JPG

monti3.JPG

monti4.JPG

I don't recognize them, and I too would be concerned. You may need to take a coral out of the water to get a better picture if you hope to get more help.

Those look like specs on the glass unfortunately.

Hope I am in the right place I found these in one of my acros.

31094IMG_3404.jpg

And I have a problem with another the skin is coming off do you cut away the affected parts and hope it stops?

IMG_34071.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9245765#post9245765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cjc_cali
when i had zoanthids i found some red/purple nudis, did some fresh waterdips and they disapeared real quick.
yeah but on this tank i dont have any zoos

Schucks...I think I have monti nudi's. They don'y quite look like the pics I have seen in this thread, buit they look like small larve creatures and I found them on my superman...

Back