SPSLove elos 160xl 200gal SPS Build

spslove

I started a 100gal acrylic mixed reef focused more so on SPS a few years ago. Being my first saltwater tank I learned a lot and made many beginner mistakes.
Through out the progress of my previous tank I was planning an Elos 160xl upgrade at my new house. Unfortunately everything took much longer then expected so the implementation of the Elos was delayed a few years, until now! The Elos has been started from scratch as I really let my previous 100gal unattended because I was not living at the location were it was setup and was extremely busy with work. It was overrun with algae and only had a few fish as survivors, 1 copper band and 3 Ocellaris black clowns. I decided not re use anything from the previous tank including live rock.

The goal for the Elos 160xl is minimal aquascaping and a bare bottom with high flow to provide rapid nutrient export.

New Setup:

Tank - Elos 160xl, 63" x 31.5 x 23.6", 200 gal

Sump - Custom Acrylic 40" x 24" x 20", 80 gal

Refugium - Custom Acrylic 36" x 24" x 20", 70 gal

Frag Tank - Custom Acrylic 36" x 24" x 12", 40 gal

Water Movement:

Return and aux/backup - two Lifeguard aquatics Aquatics Quite One 4000 (1,000gph). One pump is used as the return. Other is used to supply the reactors, frag tank and is plumbed as a backup incase main return fails.

Closed Loop - Custom Elos closed loop, two 3/4" inlets and a 3/4" outlet, powered by an Ecotech Vectra M1 (2,000gph).

Powerheads - 1 Vortech MP40wes w upgrade to quitdrive (3200gph), 1 Vortech MP40wqd (4500gph), 1 Tunze 6095 (2500gph), 2 Rossmont MX4100 (4100gph each). Power heads will be moved around and may change over time depending on the flow desired.

Filtration - Bubble King Supermarin 250, 40lbs Ceramic bonsai trees in Display, Two MarinePure Ceramic Bio Media Blocks 8" x 8" x 4", gallon box of MarinePure Ceramic Bio Media Spheres, 10lbs Miracle Mud (may add more), and Chaeto Macro Algae.

Lighting - Geisemann Spectra, 4 54w T5 HO + two 400w Radium Metal Halides. T5 are dimmable on 2 channels and controllable via Profilux.

Aquarium Computer - Profilux 3 w/ powerbars, expansion box, doser etc..

Back