Starry VS Lawnmower Blenny: Which one takes prepared foods more readily?

Zionas

I have a choice between a Starry and a Lawnmower Blenny and I'll be picking the one that eats prepared foods most readily. If they're both difficult to keep using prepared foods I'll get a Bicolor instead (more common than the Midas in my place).

Is one of them, or both of them difficult to condition onto captive fare?

I will be offering:

-Ocean Nutrition Formula-2 Flakes / Pellets

-Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flakes

-Hikari Seaweed Extreme / Mega Marine Algae / Spirulina Brine Shrimp / Algae Wafers

-First Bite Calanus Reef Grazer

-Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies

-Another nori brand

My vote would be the starry. But only if your tank has a LITTLE algae. If you feed that much green stuff, you're going to be awash in thick algae, as in 6" long all over. The phosphate load will climb in your water.

Think I'll be going with the Starry. I like it looks a lot more. Will it fight with a Bicolor though? Can I do both?

It looks like the Starry Blenny is the way to go. I think it looks much more awesome than the regular Lawnmower and I’ve read multiple accounts of it being less picky when it comes to what it eats. It’s awesome and I’m definitely looking forward to getting one.

My starry eats everything, keeps my algae in line and loves frozen bloodworms!
I've had luck with both in the past so it's really up you to chose which one you like better. I have pic of my starry in my profile if you want to give it a look.

You rarely have refusal to eat with a goby or blenny.

Yeah from what I've read they're generally some of the heartiest fish out there, with a couple of exceptions. I do like the Starry's colors much more than the drab looking Lawnmower.

Back