Started my Triton Algae Garden

d2mini

Premium Member
I don't know where this is going to go, but here it is at about 3 weeks old.
If all goes as hoped, it may get pretty ugly. haha
But going to try to keep the front pane clean so we can see what's going on.
The goal is to grow several different types of macros for different nutrient absorption.
I'm lighting it with the full spectrum Mars Hydro 300.
I've had Cheatomorpha since the start, and just added Gracilaria Hayi (red), Halimeda Opuntia (green), and Hypnea Pannosa (blue).

But the mystery is what's growing on the wall.
It's large single leaves, bright green, real thin and translucent, kinda reminds me of lettuce.

Any ideas?

i-4rFdjD5.jpg

i-B29km2L.jpg

Gorgeous! You may want to export some chaeto at some point, since it appears to be the fastest grower you have. It can get out of hand very quickly!

Looks like you are on the edge of a major problem with hair algae etc. Your lighting may be overkill or you may need to shorten the photoperiod.

Also your "halimeda opuntia" is actual mermaid's fan Udotea sp.

Looks like you are on the edge of a major problem with hair algae etc. Your lighting may be overkill or you may need to shorten the photoperiod.

Also your "halimeda opuntia" is actual mermaid's fan Udotea sp.

I always get that HA in my fuge. Yeah, the light is a powerhouse! I ran a 150w HPS light previously. :)

And I have both the halimeda and the mermaids fan.
Forgot to mention the mermaid fan in my initial post. It came from TBS.

Halimeda in the middle... from gulf coast ecosystems.

i-pcVc5fD.jpg

The Ulva started to show up on my sand bed in the display.
So before things got out of hand, I decided to nip it in the bud.
Backwards move for the fuge but figured I was only a month in anyway... better to take care of it now while it would be easier.

Took the whole sump offline, emptied it, dragged it outside and started cleaning.

i-PdGkv6Q.jpg

Back in the stand, reconnecting the plumbing.

i-m2JLdVg.jpg

Most all the macros got trashed.
A couple things like the Codium I was able to clean off well enough that I knew for sure 100% of the Ulva was gone.
The rest wasn't worth the risk.
Brand new Chaeto and old Codium went in this Saturday evening and a fresh order of stuff from Live-Plants went in last night. :)

i-n9KvkLv.jpg

i-N23ggTx.jpg

So let's try this again! :lol:

Are you opposed to some type of substrate in the refugium? The graciliara in my refugium rooted (for lack of a better term) into the substrate and has been growing like a weed along with some caulerpa (prolifera, mexicana, and sertulariodes). The prolifera, mexicana, and graciliara definitely grow the fastest (very small amount of chaeto in there as well) for me. These by far outgrow the chaeto under a 6500k CFL (picked up a PAR38 with reds and a couple blues but havent hooked it up yet), I'm not sure if this is because of the light or some other factor. I separate them (the mexicana likes to grow into the graciliara) every week or so and toss some out.

I enjoy checking it out and leave that side of the stand open most of the time now.

Yeah, no substrate in the fuge, especially with the flow I have going through it.

That's cool that yours is doing that well. :)
Usually my cheato goes from baseball size to beachball size within a matter of weeks.

Yeah, no substrate in the fuge, especially with the flow I have going through it.

That's cool that yours is doing that well. :)
Usually my cheato goes from baseball size to beachball size within a matter of weeks.

Yea, my chaeto is broken LOL.

Refugium Progress Update after the redo:

This pic was taken 9 days ago.
The Chaeto had been in for 3 days at this point, and this was the day I added the additional macros.

i-n9KvkLv.jpg

And here is as of last night, 9 days later.

i-b6CJc4t.jpg

And a couple closeups...

i-Zkb8fdt.jpg

i-tfRkFDC.jpg

I'd say that Mars Hydro 300 led is working out pretty well. :D
And yes... at this moment it's still spinning.

Back