STILL LIKE YOUR-Gyre XF150 ???

I keep procrastinating,..... on buying the Gyre for the 125g we're setting up, but what keeps me from buying is the $300 cost and if there's been any problems with it being new.

In the long run, it'll cost less that several power heads and/or a wave maker.

So, any of you that have had one since they came out with it, do you still like it and any issues so far ?

I haven't ran mine long term or anywhere near it yet but I absolutely love mine. I might be lucky but mine is silent or near enough to it. My light fixtures are louder. The flow is incredible and replaced two Tunze controllable pumps. I have 1/2" glass and got the suction pads to go with it so that may help the noise that some people complain about.

I set mine up vertical in a back corner and run in alternating mode switching directions every 6 hours and have B and B paddle wheels in. The fish are acting totally different now and in a good way.

Here's a link to my log thread on setting it up and my observations of the fishes activity.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1673282&page=41

I haven't ran mine long term or anywhere near it yet but I absolutely love mine. I might be lucky but mine is silent or near enough to it. My light fixtures are louder. The flow is incredible and replaced two Tunze controllable pumps. I have 1/2" glass and got the suction pads to go with it so that may help the noise that some people complain about.

I set mine up vertical in a back corner and run in alternating mode switching directions every 6 hours and have B and B paddle wheels in. The fish are acting totally different now and in a good way.

Here's a link to my log thread on setting it up and my observations of the fishes activity.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1673282&page=41

What size tank do you have ?

I'll read your linked thread later tonight, and sounds intriguing.

A local store had a MP-60 and it was surprisingly,..... loud !

Do the pads come with the package ?

Did they help to reduce the noise, if so, by how much ?

Guess I haven't read anything about this, or have not kept attention, but is there a night mode/sensor ?

What size tank do you have ?

I'll read your linked thread later tonight, and sounds intriguing.

A local store had a MP-60 and it was surprisingly,..... loud !

Do the pads come with the package ?

Did they help to reduce the noise, if so, by how much ?

Guess I haven't read anything about this, or have not kept attention, but is there a night mode/sensor ?

I have a 180 and the pads I ordered separately and was like $6. I got the suction pads as the directions recommended them if doing alternating gyre and ordered them same time I ordered the gyre. I'm not sure how loud mine is with out the pads though as I put it in and haven't touched it other then adjust the flow angles slightly.

Right now there's no night mode. There's supposed to be an advanced controller in the works and will be a separate purchase I believe. I also think you'll be able to hook it up to a controller like Apex with that as well but I don't know the specifics.

Damn, you would think they would use a calmer night mode, would be a no brainer,...........with today's wave makers ! :hmm5:

Do you implicate any kind of night mode, like shutting it off manually, plugging it into a timer or do you just leave it on ?

Damn, you would think they would use a calmer night mode, would be a no brainer,...........with today's wave makers ! :hmm5:

Do you implicate any kind of night mode, like shutting it off manually, plugging it into a timer or do you just leave it on ?
I could have done a night mode on my Tunze pumps but I never have. I probably wouldn't with this either if it was an option. There is a feeding mode that turns off the pump but I don't use it either. I do turn off my return pump.

If night mode or other features are wanted (like syncing more than one together) I would wait until the advanced controller is out sometime this year. Or just do with out for now and get the advanced controller later.

I could have done a night mode on my Tunze pumps but I never have. I probably wouldn't with this either if it was an option. There is a feeding mode that turns off the pump but I don't use it either. I do turn off my return pump.

If night mode or other features are wanted (like syncing more than one together) I would wait until the advanced controller is out sometime this year. Or just do with out for now and get the advanced controller later.

I just spoke with a friend, and he said to consider 2 of the Jeabo RW-15's. And it has many types of adjusting flow's, and including a night mode.

Amazon has them for $84 each. The RW's are a lot better now than their WP pumps.

Hum,.....?

http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Wavemak...ao+rw-15&pebp=1421638901450&peasin=B00MVI5RMK

I have one gyre that replaced my 4 vortechs, I was tossing up between the RW-15 and this and ended up going for the gyre. No regrets.

I just spoke with a friend, and he said to consider 2 of the Jeabo RW-15's. And it has many types of adjusting flow's, and including a night mode.

Amazon has them for $84 each. The RW's are a lot better now than their WP pumps.

Hum,.....?

http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Wavemak...ao+rw-15&pebp=1421638901450&peasin=B00MVI5RMK
Looks like some good features if that's what you're looking for. But it's the flow of the gyre that is like nothing else out there right now using a single internal powerhead.

The one thing I do plan on buying when it comes out for this pump is the battery backup they plan to release this year some time.

The Gyre is fantastic and works great, mine however could be a little quieter. Way more noise then my old WP40's, but I'll take the noise considering how much flow I get.

I have been running mine since the end of November 2014 and I couldn't be happier. Quiet as my Tunzes and great flow. I'm running it at 50% and placed horizontally in a 125 g. I haven't cleaned it since it started working.

Currently I'm running it in continuous mode in 6 h periods, alternating with a Tunze 6105 and a Tunze 6055 placed at the other end of the tank. I plan to substitute these Tunze for another Gyre placed vertically once Maxspect has the controller ready to sell.

Started mine on a 125 mid Dec. Running pulse mode @ 30 sec intervals and at 40%. Made some noise for the first week or two. Then, one morning was making a LOT of noise. I squirted some blasts of water into the wheels while off during feeding and it hasn't made a noise since--think it had a piece of sand stuck somewhere. It is as quiet as my Tunzes now--better than at the start.

I still use my 6105s for supplemental flow at the other end of the tank, one at the lower back corner continuously and one in the lower middle back between my two rock islands @ 1 min on and 1 min off to keep stuff suspended. Probably could run the gyre higher and eliminate these but then flow may be too strong near the gyre. Tunzes are run at 10-20% now.

Anyway, best thing I have bought for the tank so far, I think.

I run two gyre, one on each end of a 300 DD, in an alternating lateral gyre flow cycling every 6 hours. These replaced 4 WP40's and 2 WP60's that were set up to do the same thing. The flow /rate/ with the gyres appears to be just as good as with all of the Jebao's they replaced, but the output from the pumps is what sold me - the output is a much more "narrow" and "flat" than that generated by a propeller pump. The Jebao (and Vortech before them) were topping off my acropora well below the surface of the aquarium. With these I can place them a scant few inches from the surface and the majority of the force from the flow travels along the top of the aquarium before it reaches the other side.
This is how I have them placed - toward the left of the frame you can still see the "ghost" of a footprint from where the Jebao were located. They were down that far to prevent forming a vortex and pulling air from the surface of the aquarium at 100%.
picture.php

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray

I too am on the bubble. I have used many different PH, wavemakers, surge tanks ect over the years. I have found it's hard to get the best of both worlds (silent pumps or devices and great flow with few breakdowns) I currently run 4 Tunze 6095's with controller on my 120 sps display. If I could replace all those with one device I'm in! However I do not like noise. I've had MP 40's in the past and the hum of the ramp up/down drove me nuts! I'm getting close to trying one for I've heard the flow is unmatched. My concern is the varying comments on the noise. Some say quiet others say as noisy as an Ecotech. Guess for now I'll flip a coin!

Noise of these seem all over the place right now but it seems for those that have had noise issues they were able to either resolve them or reduce the noise to bearable levels.

From what I've seen in posts here there were some quality control issue with some internal burs that were not fully removed and the shafts were hitting them and was filed down. Others have found materials like silicon pads cut to size/shape and placed on the wet side or several have simply taken the pump apart and put it back together and that resolved the noise issues.

Since I am running alternating gyre and taking advantage of the flipped paddle wheel on one side to the other (A/A or B/B) I took mine partially apart. So who know I may have had a noisy pump but that fixed it with out me even knowing it. I am using the suction pad grip covers for the wet side and it may be reducing some noise but these pads from maxspect couldn't be more then a few millimeters thick. I just think I happen to get a quite one.

It may even have something to do with glass vs acrylic vs thicknesses. But it seems like 3/4" glass was thought to be that sweet spot. My glass is 1/2" so I don't know how much that helps.

It does seem like if you're a US or Mexico based customer who's covered under Coral Vue for warranty (that is their distribution rights territory for maxspect) they are trying to assist people with any noise issues from taking apart and putting back together to sending replacement parts. They just need to be contacted.

Back