Stingrays & Sting Ray Corvettes Fly!

Mako Shark II

Fish are Friends not Food
DIG THIS!!!!

In this dramatic moment, this stingray takes flight from hungry killer whale!!

The stingray leaps out of the water as it is hunted by a killer whale, whose fin can be seen below the ray, just off St. Heliers beach in Auckland, New Zealand:

FlyingStingray.jpg

With the predator lurking close behind, the intended prey takes flight - quite literally. This flying stingray was trying to avoid the attentions of the aptly-named killer whale, which was ready to take a bite out of the fish when the stingray made its leap for safety. While stingrays seem most content to spend their days lying at the bottom of the sea-bed, occasionally sticking their stingers into unassuming human feet, this one proved they can be moved to flights of fancy when needed.

The encounter was captured in calm waters just off St. Heliers beach in Auckland, New Zealand. Five or six orcas gathered in the morning sun to feast on the stingrays resting near the shore, while another 30 orcas hung around at the back of the harbour. A huge crowd gathered to watch the spectacle. So Stingrays along with their kindred (and larger) Manta rays, DO Fly on occasion.

About Stingrays, Manta Rays, Sting Rays & Stingrays:

The stingrays are a familyâ€"Dasyatidaeâ€"of rays, cartilaginous fishes related to sharks. They are common in coastal tropical marine waters throughout the world, and several species are known to enter fresh water. Other types of rays also referred to as "stingrays" are the river stingrays (family Potamotrygonidae), the round stingrays (families Urolophidae and Urotrygonidae), the sixgill stingray (family Hexatrygonidae), and the deepwater stingray (family Plesiobatidae). For clarity, the members of the family Dasyatidae are sometimes called "whip-tail stingrays".

The manta ray (Manta birostris), is the largest of the rays, with the largest known specimen having been more than 7.6 m (about 25 ft) across, with a weight of about 2,300 kg (about 5,000 lb).

Oh, and in case you never caught the connection, "Mako Shark II" is a double entendre I use for Reef Central. It encompasses two of my passions: reefing & plastic cars.

"Corvette" defined is a a small, swift Warship.

1963 Chevrolet Corvettes adopted the name "Sting Ray" for C2 Vettes. ("C2" = second generation Corvette) 1969 Corvettes adopted the name "Stingray" (one-word) for the C3. The current production Corvettes are C6's, but the new concept just released, brings back the Split Window, made famous or infamous by the original '63 Split Window Sting Ray's. ("Infamous", because people actually removed them!! I know, right??!?!)

The Mako Shark II was built in 1965 and set the design standard for the 1968-1982 production Corvette. It's lines were the culmination of two beasts of the oceans, the Manta Ray and the Great White Shark. Its design was timeless.

MakoSharkII.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15313037#post15313037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by just dave
Look

Yep! Thanks Dave. I know that Page and the Story, all too well my friend! I owned both, a '63 Split Window Coupe, and the ("un-named") Stingray the '68 coupe, which had no fender Badges. (Badges?) As a matter of fact, the '68s (Mako Shark II design) were the only ones that had the word "Corvette" in only one Location.... on the rear spoiler panel, visible only as it passed you and left you in the dust!

Speaking of "Stingers", now, GM Eye's the Future with the latest Stingray concept! It's radical!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAT-_dQ3B4&feature=related

Last edited:
I think u need to give another lonely classic vette a good home. One sure would look good in your garage

I dunno.... "Splits" looked pretty good in This "garage".

63Vette4.jpg

(It was the old McDonald Hamburgers Corporate Jet Hangar, empty this day.)

P.S. - I agree Tyson! If The $pousal Unit starts to complain about Reefin', all I have to do it start talkin' old Vettes, and she quickly changes her tune. I'll get one back someday....

Last edited:
Oh no.....There is a "widow maker" in the corner!!! Those things are squirrely. No ailerons, just spoilers. Can get a little hairy in a stiff crosswind. That is where the Global Express calls home normally.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15314220#post15314220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ducklabdad
I Think one would look better in my garage!!

I think a 69 LT1 convertible would look best with me behind the wheel disappearing in a cloud of tire smoke.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15315128#post15315128 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgriffin
Oh no.....There is a "widow maker" in the corner!!! Those things are squirrely. No ailerons, just spoilers. Can get a little hairy in a stiff crosswind. That is where the Global Express calls home normally.
Yeah, the MU-2 you can have. We rarely worked on them, usually the Gulfstreams, Lears, Hawkers and even a converted JetStar. (I still love that bird! There's just something cool about Four engine across the tail.) Are you flying Globals now???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15315359#post15315359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by just dave
I think a 69 LT1 convertible would look best with me behind the wheel disappearing in a cloud of tire smoke.
Oh. You like the C3's better? This was my '68. THIS one I got from California after an exhaustive search. It was worth the wait, absolutely original and authenticated. (Never should have sold that One!)

Mello6812.jpg

Mello Yello goes better with this Smiley, anyway….
:dance:

Tell me those Fender vents don't look like Gills!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15315442#post15315442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mako Shark II
Oh. You like the C3's better? This was my '68.

Yes but I wouldn't say no to a 63 GS.

Are you flying Globals now??? [/B]

I wish!! If I was I would be having you help me set up about a 300 gal reef masterpiece....... I was just saying that is where the McDonald's Global Express and Challenger 300 call home.

Marty needs a lingefelter,C5 with 1100 hp,street legal.I think it goes from 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds and 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 11.5 seconds .Now thats a corvette

That car was union city a couple of weeks ago,my friend seen it.He said it way better in person than any pic he seen.I am drooling with you Jim.

Back