Stocking Ideas for the 180

drew930

Here's my stocking ideas for my 180 gallon mixed reef. Let me know if this is too many fish . I will be running a SRO 3000 internal skimmer.

Blue Hippo Tang
Sailfin Tang ( Desjardini )
Orange Shoulder Tang
Achilles or Blue Powder Tang

Picasso Clownfish w/ Red Bubble Tip Anemone
Some Kind of Dottyback
2 Diamond Gobies

Coral Beauty Angel or Lemon Peel or a Rock Beauty ( need opinions on keeping in reef )

Maxima Clam
Cleaner Shrimp

Please let me know about experiences with the Rock Beauty . I like it but don't think its reef safe.

Thanks !!

Looks like a pretty good list to me except the angel. I would skip putting an angel in, too hit or miss on whether it will work(or for how long) before it will be picking at your corals and/or clam(s).

Go slow and do not stock too fast. Make sure you quarantine everything before putting it in your display tank.

here are some angels in a reef tank..

courtesy of Jawsee's tank.
personifers8-20110061600x1200.jpg

Here's my stocking ideas for my 180 gallon mixed reef. Let me know if this is too many fish . I will be running a SRO 3000 internal skimmer.

Blue Hippo TangToo big for a 180
Sailfin Tang ( Desjardini )Too big for a 180
Orange Shoulder Tang
Achilles or Blue Powder TangNot sure on your experience level but both are very difficult to keep

Some Kind of DottybackI would only recommend the orchid dottyback
2 Diamond GobiesMust be a pair, bonded or mated

Coral Beauty Angel or Lemon Peel or a Rock Beauty ( need opinions on keeping in reef )I would skip because catching any fish is difficult in a reef tank, they are not reef safe in my opinion

Maxima Clam
Cleaner Shrimp

Please let me know about experiences with the Rock Beauty . I like it but don't think its reef safe.

Thanks !!

With your stock list I would do an orangeshoulder tang, powder brown tang(Acanthurus japonicus), and a purple or yellow tang. A 180 gallon tank is not big enough for more than 3 tangs... In place of a dottyback you could do the royal gramma, they are peaceful and really only defend their area. Instead of doing any angels you should look into three flasher or fairy wrasses, they are completly reef safe and are very colorful!

Blue Hippo Tang pass, they get so big, and look like big blue ungraceful submarines
Sailfin Tang ( Desjardini ) again, really big. How about a purple instead?
Orange Shoulder Tang big olive colored fish. Meh... if you like it :) How about Acanthurus pyroferus?
Achilles or Blue Powder Tang Powder blue gets my vote

Have you considered a Ctenochaetus species tang? Like the chevron?

Picasso Clownfish w/ Red Bubble Tip Anemone The anemone will require at least a 12" area, and may split. Something to keep in mind

Some Kind of Dottyback I love fridmanis...very pretty and mellow.
2 Diamond Gobies

Coral Beauty Angel or Lemon Peel or a Rock Beauty ( need opinions on keeping in reef ) I've had bad experiences with dwarfs in reefs, so no comment there. Sounds like you want some yellow. Ever considered a yellow longnose butterfly?

Maxima Clam
Cleaner Shrimp I personally hate shrimps in reefs because they make in very difficult to feed LPS corals. Just something to consider.

Thanks !!

I have thought about the chevron, yellow, and purple, but not one of my favorites. I might have to go with some though, since some of my list will get too big.

I did a google search on Acanthurus pyroferus. I seen some light brown ones and some yellowish white ones. Which ones were you referring to ?

I love the larger angels. I love the gold flake and I like the scribbled angel a lot too, but If i end up adding one, and he eats my coral, It will be pain in the butt to get out . I might just through my coral beauty I have now in there and see what happens.

I haven't had an anemone that long before. I will keep in mind that they need 12" to grow and split.

It will be a pain in the butt to get any fish out of any tank with out either draining it rapidly or tearing it apart. Trust me on this, I had to catch two damsels...

Have you considered the Bellus Angelfish (Genicanthus bellus)? They are reef safe and will only grow to about 7", you might be able to fit a pair in with your stock list being cut down from what you originally posted.

I just copied and changed things to what you might like...

You could try the Lemonpeel Mimic Tang if you want yellow
Orange Shoulder Tang(I personally like the Tennenti Tang over the orangeshoulder)
Powder Blue(Make sure it is your last addition otherwise it may very well kill your later additions, QT this fish as it is an ick magnet)

Orchid Dottyback(Pseudochromis fridmani)
2 Diamond Gobies Must be a bonded pair otherwise they may fight

Coral Beauty Angel or Lemon Peel or a Rock Beauty ( need opinions on keeping in reef )
A pair of Bellus Angelfish(The male is yellow if you want some yellow)
Maxima Clam
Cleaner Shrimp

I do want some kind of yellow. I looked at the lemon peel mimic tang. He is alright . Might consider him . I will keep looking and keep your ideas in mind. Thanks for all the input !

Back