Success with "living with" AEFW - potential predator or different variety of AEFW?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15252668#post15252668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Logzor
Anyone who turkey bastes:

Many of you state that your rarely see flatworms after weeks of basting on a daily basis. I have had the exact same observation.

I was stunned when I saw a larger number of flatworms fly off of my corals when I hooked up a maxi-jet 1200 and used it point-blank against the corals.

I spend a pretty good amount of time point the maxi-jet on one spot. Sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds for them to finally dislodge.....sometimes longer.

My theory is that AEFW can easily hold on when blown by a turkey baster, hence why you now see very few, but can become easily dislodged with a maxi-jet.

I have no damaged the corals this way, I am nearly rubbing the skeleton with the end of the pump! So far....great results!

So, if you could, I would like to know if you experience the same thing.

Logzor - I'm curious what your basting technique was? I have found that unless you do it precisely, with at least three bursts in the same spot, they often don't come off, but short quick blasts seems to work very well. This also might be more evidence of different species as it seems some have more success basting them off than others -- perhaps one species just comes off easier.

In my experience, I have killed a couple of acros when I basted too hard so I'm gun shy about using a powerhead.

BTW...here is my list of fish.

True Percula Clownfish (mated pair)
Borbonius Anthias
Lyretail Anthias (3)
Bartlett Anthias
Green Chromis (6)
Leopard Wrasse (black spotted)
African Leopard Wrasse
Bellus Angelfish (female)
Bangai Cardinal Fish (2)
Black Tang
Flame Hawk
Multi-Banded Angel

+1^ You have to be even careful when you baste because if done too hard or continuously in one area you can blow off the color on some species.

Interesting thread. I've found AEFWs in my dip buckets but not in my tank (yet). It seems inevitable that someone who trades frags will encounter them eventually.

Considering there are some 20,000 known types of flatworms, I find it likely that there is more than one type that parasitize corals. My guess would also be that different flatworms might show a preference between different corals (acros, millis, etc.).

I found Logzor's statement of having witness bristleworms eating AEFW eggs very interesting. Makes sense that a detritovore that comes across some eggs has lunch. Could also explain why I've been relatively lucky with AEFW. My tank has a healthy bristleworm population.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15254763#post15254763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Bass
Interesting thread. I've found AEFWs in my dip buckets but not in my tank (yet). It seems inevitable that someone who trades frags will encounter them eventually.

Considering there are some 20,000 known types of flatworms, I find it likely that there is more than one type that parasitize corals. My guess would also be that different flatworms might show a preference between different corals (acros, millis, etc.).

I found Logzor's statement of having witness bristleworms eating AEFW eggs very interesting. Makes sense that a detritovore that comes across some eggs has lunch. Could also explain why I've been relatively lucky with AEFW. My tank has a healthy bristleworm population.

That is an interesting observation -- my tank is overrun with bristleworms and fireworms. The other day I noticed probably thousands of eggs on a milli (that aside from the eggs at the base is doing great). As the milli was not attached, I dipped the milli in revive, and only had one adult come off. That was really what got me thinking I have a predator of some sort, maybe of the eggs before they hatch, or maybe of the adults, since if there were so many eggs, where did all the adults go??

Mike, I have also found them on the liverock near the corals. I was once told to pull and dip right after the lights come back on as they are more active in the dark. Is there any truth to this? I do not know, but I have seen pictures of their eggs on LR as well as the corals.

I always dip my frags in Revive for about ten to fifteen minutes, if I hadn't I would have definately have a red bug and flat worm problem. Luckily so far nothing has shown up. The only thing that has killed frags in my tank is my mismanagement:( I can't blame it on the worms or bugs.

Jason

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15255009#post15255009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JasonD
I always dip my frags in Revive for about ten to fifteen minutes, if I hadn't I would have definately have a red bug and flat worm problem. Luckily so far nothing has shown up. The only thing that has killed frags in my tank is my mismanagement:( I can't blame it on the worms or bugs.

Jason

Jason - This a bit OT, but just making sure you realize that dips don't kill the eggs - in fact, I dipped the corals from which I originally got AEFW (but as the store had also dipped the corals, none came off, so I thought I was ok, but clearly wasn't).

I agree that dips don't kill the eggs. Got on Valida on a plug and I could actually see the eggs on the plug after I diped it and all the worms came off. I then took a tooth brush to the eggs and they were surprisingly tough to get off, took several good swipes to send them down the drain.:smokin:

That being said the best way is to have a quarintine tank to put everything in and watch it. I just don't have the space to do it.

Jason

On a related note, has anyone heard the latest on Borneman's study of AEFW? Last I heard, he stated that the eggs are laid on dead coral skeleton or near it, so that when they hatch the larvae can bury into the coral skeleton. This larval stage lasts for two weeks if I recall. Then the AEFW emerge from the skeleton and begin their feasting upon the coral. Wondering if there are any new developments?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15255441#post15255441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcliffy2
On a related note, has anyone heard the latest on Borneman's study of AEFW? Last I heard, he stated that the eggs are laid on dead coral skeleton or near it, so that when they hatch the larvae can bury into the coral skeleton. This larval stage lasts for two weeks if I recall. Then the AEFW emerge from the skeleton and begin their feasting upon the coral. Wondering if there are any new developments?

I haven't heard about this yet, but what I can tell you related to others observation about the basting method is that the adults have raspers that embed into the epidermal layer of the coral. This is why they are so hard to get off.

Bump! I agree. I would love to see what other reefers experiences are. Has anyone ever seen them attacking green slimers. I ask because I have a huge colony that would suck if I had to take it out in attempt to dip it.

Yes, they will attack green slimers.

So far blowing the corals off with a maxi jet has been extremely effective. I left town and had not blown them off for over 9 days or so. When I got back I repeated my normal processes and only saw a few fly off.

This is a big change. When I first moved from turkey basting to using the maxi-jet I was knocking off 12-15 aefw from my millie.

I'll bump up this thread as I just discovered AEFW in my system.

I had no clue that I had AEFW but I have a mille and a microthalma that have been looking "pale" for a few weeks. I recently upgraded my lighting and I figured their coloration was due to an adjustment. I also have a tri-color valida that has had pale sections for months, but they never expanded and the rest of the colony has great coloration and PE.

I was basting my LR last night and hit the micro. . .a flatworm blew off. I basted the micro directly and 4 - 5 more blew off. I then basted all my acros. Luckily, my Akindynos clowns love the taste of AEFWs. . .

I found AEFWs on the following:

2 of my 6 Milles
Microthalma
Solitaryensis
Tenuis
Valida
PL Lime Mimic

I did not find them (yet) on:

Efflo (3 different colonies)
Tort
Purple Plasma
Emerald Loisettae
Stags (slimers, teal, etc.)
Secale
ORA Borealis
ORA Pearlberry
Lokani

Removing corals for treatment is not an option as Ithe majority of my colonies are attached to LR. I'll be living with the basting method and will try an MJ1200. I may also try adding a couple of more wrasses (I have a sixline) for control.

:D

I have a QT that is setup for any new corals coming in and I QT for 4-6 weeks. I have found that even after dipping in Revive, TMPCC they can still be on there and pop up later on. I have had pretty good result dipping in Revive then dipping in the Brightwell solution, then QT.

I have also found in the QT tank which holds a six-line wrasse, that you can use a turkey baster with success. What I do is get a bucket of RO/DI water, suck up some of the RO/DI water with the baster and blast the coral. It creates a mini environment that AEFW dont like and want wont harm the coral. Usually 2 blast get rid of everything and the 6-line eats them.

I'll bump up this thread as I just discovered AEFW in my system.

I had no clue that I had AEFW but I have a mille and a microthalma that have been looking "pale" for a few weeks. I recently upgraded my lighting and I figured their coloration was due to an adjustment. I also have a tri-color valida that has had pale sections for months, but they never expanded and the rest of the colony has great coloration and PE.

I was basting my LR last night and hit the micro. . .a flatworm blew off. I basted the micro directly and 4 - 5 more blew off. I then basted all my acros. Luckily, my Akindynos clowns love the taste of AEFWs. . .

I found AEFWs on the following:

2 of my 6 Milles
Microthalma
Solitaryensis
Tenuis
Valida
PL Lime Mimic

I did not find them (yet) on:

Efflo (3 different colonies)
Tort
Purple Plasma
Emerald Loisettae
Stags (slimers, teal, etc.)
Secale
ORA Borealis
ORA Pearlberry
Lokani

Removing corals for treatment is not an option as Ithe majority of my colonies are attached to LR. I'll be living with the basting method and will try an MJ1200. I may also try adding a couple of more wrasses (I have a sixline) for control.

:D

I had a flare up of them (due to lazyness in basting) about a month ago. They still do not appear to target any of my stags (green slimer, and huge green w/ blue tip colony), nor have I ever seen them attack my tort. This time I did find them on my nana, where they had been surprisingly absent in the past. A few weeks of diligent basting and I'm happy to report that the colors have come back and damage from the flatworms is no longer visible. Just can't let it go two months without basting again :)

I recently discovered AEFW as well

I have tried the MJ1200 basting method

None of my fish seemed to be hungry for the AEFW

I have upgraded to a 120 and have:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 lawnmower blenny
2 x ocellaris clown
1 x bellus angel
1 x royal gramma
1 x pajama cardinal
1 x Bangaii cardinal

Any recommendations for another fish that might go after these pests when I baste??

Thanks

It may take your fish time to get used to eating them. I'm also convinced that not all AEFW make it back to a coral once blown off.

An update, I just found AEFW eggs on my green slimer, although they looked much different than on my milli. Milli eggs are reddis and clustered, whereas the slimer eggs were tan and non-clustered.

Back