Sudden Death of Algae

SpydrWorks

I have come across a mystery involving marine plants...algae to be more specific.

On a couple of occassions I would go into work and the algae in my 18 gallon reef would be completely white and the tank very cloudy. On both occassions the occurances were very quick (less than 24 hours between seeing the algae nice and green to it becoming bone white) and the pH came down to about 7.9. The first time this happened the tank was fairly new and the algae was inside the refegium. The second time was just a few weeks ago and the algae was part of the decorative make up of the tank. The aquarium has been up and running for over 2 years quite successfully.

The dead piece of algae were removed immediately followed by a large water change.

My question is...What happened??? What is it that makes algae die so suddenly and why? What can be done to prevent it?

Spydrworks
:confused:

Sounds like your algae went asexual. Caulerpa does this and I don't think anyone knows for sure why. I have read reports of this happening in the wild as well. Basically the algae plants put all their energies into producing and releasing spores (I'm sure someone will have all the correct names) which is what clouds your water.

IMO this is probably caused by stress. People say that if you prune so that the algae doesn't become over crowded as well as providing plenty of light and food that you reduce the chances of this happening. Some caulperas have a tendancy to do this more frequently than others. Personally, I have been growing racemose (grape caulerpa) for a year without any issues. I added other caulperas this spring (caulerpa prolifera, and feather caulerpa as well as red & green tang heaven) without any issues. Anytime the algae looks crowded, I start removing some.

Many people say that cheato won't go asexual.

Vickie

Back